Why I don't do top 10 all-time lists (RR)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/16/AR2006021602077.htmlI might agree with at least half his choices though picks 8-10 should create some lively discussion. But seriously, I just don't know how, at this point, you can remotely try to sum up hip-hop in 10 choices.

Comments

• Wow, according to this person Superappin' came out a year before Rapper's Delight.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this dude is so connected he transcends space and time.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    This should go a good 5 pages or so! Company Flow? Get the f*ck outta here. Little Brother are cool, but DO NOT belong on an all time top 10 list. That Roots selection is suspect as well!

• This just seems like more of a "Ten Tracks you should check out if you haven't heard them before..." than a real top ten list. Seems like dude was just trying to hit different scenes/regions/styles. Very randomly, I might add.

Oh yeah. And I gotta stick up for Act Too (Love of my Life) off When Things Fall Appart. That hummed/sung melody line just gets stuck in my head so bad...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This just seems like more of a "Ten Tracks you should check out if you haven't heard them before..." than a real top ten list. Seems like dude was just trying to hit different scenes/regions/styles. Very randomly, I might add.

Oh yeah. And I gotta stick up for Act Too (Love of my Life) off When Things Fall Appart. That hummed/sung melody line just gets stuck in my head so bad...

Definitely. I actually am feeling the trajectory of his choices, some from-a-to-z shit for the hip-hop sound he enjoys which, obviously, leans toward the Jansport Massive.

• Join Rhome Anderson for a live discussion Tuesday at 1 p.m. on a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/liveonline.http://www.washingtonpost.com/liveonline.br />

are you thinking what I'm thinking?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. Freestyle Fellowship - For No Reason
    2. Freestyle Fellowship - Six Tray
    3. Volume 10 - Pistolgrip Pump
    4. Section 8 Mob - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    5. Menace Clan - What You Say
    6. CVE - Agent 86
    7. Ellay Khule - Rifleman
    8. Da Bastads - Behind Enemy Lines
    9. Of Mexican Descent & Cypher7 - Despues de la Vida
    10. Ngafsh - Watch Out

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Trying to minimize a musical genre into a top ten list is an exercise in stupidity.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    6. CVE - Agent 86
    10. Ngafsh - Watch Out

Oh Boy........

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    No personal dis, but everyone knows top ten lists aren't perfect, yet you can't control yourself whining on a messageboard about the fact '93 to Infinity (for example) didn't make the list ? Why devote time to somebody who offended your Hiphop culture ?

Lists are cool though, check fingermag.

It's 6:30 - I gotta go to work.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    6. CVE - Agent 86
    10. Ngafsh - Watch Out

Oh Boy........

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Wow, according to this person Superappin' came out a year before Rapper's Delight.

Some people believe this...something about being recorded and played out before but not getting a commercial release on Enjoy until after Rapper's Delight. I don't know what the reality is, but it's one of those 'facts' that conspiracist hip hop bores come up with.

• RezRez 164 Posts
    No personal dis, but everyone knows top ten lists aren't perfect, yet you can't control yourself whining on a messageboard about the fact '93 to Infinity (for example) didn't make the list ? Why devote time to somebody who offended your Hiphop culture ?

Wow - ya start work early! Are ya a gravedigger or something?

Rez

• No personal dis, but everyone knows top ten lists aren't perfect, yet you can't control yourself whining on a messageboard about the fact '93 to Infinity (for example) didn't make the list ? Why devote time to somebody who offended your Hiphop culture ?

Wow - ya start work early! Are ya a gravedigger or something?

Rez

& still find time to check the strut first!?

• http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/16/AR2006021602077.html

I might agree with at least half his choices though picks 8-10 should create some lively discussion. But seriously, I just don't know how, at this point, you can remotely try to sum up hip-hop in 10 choices.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    In fairness to the guy, he doesn't state at any point that this is intended as an all-time Top 10 or anything - more an attempt to list a few key examples of the form. What might be a little more questionable about the exercise would be defining Company Flow's "Vital Nerve" as a "high impact" song, whilst reducing Jay-Z to a footnote and not mentioning Nas even in his preamble. But then, the whole thing about "definitive" lists of any sort is that you'll always get some wiseacre who'll pull you up over who or what you left out.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Can we get a Project Blowed gramelin to summarize this thread?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Jansport Massive
    Jansport Massive
    Jansport Massive