WEST COAST random raps/ TOTALLY INSANE

lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
totally insane "direct from the backstreet"anyone got this? just recently found a copy of it out here in los angeles though it is from the bay area.is there a proper cover to this thing? mine is just a black 12" jacket. incredibly above average random stuff here. wicked g-funk loops that sound to be seriously hot loops for the time (although the production coulda been tighter) mc's are loose yet totally effective and dope. anyone got the scoop on those dudes?

Comments

• ahem, that's YAY AREA, friend. not West Coast. there IS a difference.

and yes, this LP is what was real, what's real, and what will be real in the future.

• i haven't really picked up the difference between "West Coast" sound and "Yay Area" honestly i think there is no difference.

sall west coast to me. maybe it is the difference in weed supply, makes everything from these shores sound a touch similar.

• what is the definition of random rap? Is it essentially regional rap? Cause I would classify Totally Insane as classic bay area rap, and I find that random rap moniker kind of overused, or confusing at least.

"what ya know" is the beat.

totally insane "direct from the backstreet"

anyone got this? just recently found a copy of it out here in los angeles though it is from the bay area.

is there a proper cover to this thing? mine is just a black 12" jacket.

incredibly above average random stuff here. wicked g-funk loops that sound to be seriously hot loops for the time (although the production coulda been tighter) mc's are loose yet totally effective and dope.

anyone got the scoop on those dudes?

• what is the definition of random rap? Is it essentially regional rap? Cause I would classify Totally Insane as classic bay area rap, and I find that random rap moniker kind of overused, or confusing at least.

"what ya know" is the beat.

totally insane "direct from the backstreet"

anyone got this? just recently found a copy of it out here in los angeles though it is from the bay area.

is there a proper cover to this thing? mine is just a black 12" jacket.

incredibly above average random stuff here. wicked g-funk loops that sound to be seriously hot loops for the time (although the production coulda been tighter) mc's are loose yet totally effective and dope.

anyone got the scoop on those dudes?

Definitely a bay classic!! Totally Insane was from EPA and somehow related to Chunk (Ad Capone was dissed by a girl in a skit on Menace to the Game). That album was one of my favorite albums that came out that year and isn't really random rap because it was genuinely popular (at least in Seattle, everybody had that tape) . I've heard that it sold over 40K. The producer TC also produced RBL and other shit on In a Minute. When I first started making beats I used to look up to TC for real. "What You Know" is the shit. So many classic lyrics on that cut!! Ad Capone had some funny ass lyrics "my hair started growin and people said I looked like a Samoan".

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Lotusland, act like you know foll! And YES there is a difference between "West Coast" music and that Yay area shit. Different production styles, different slang, different flow, etc. "West Coast" music usually refers to L.A. rap.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Shit, I have been bumping this for the last week.

So there is a legitimate vinyl issue of this album? Or was it just a 12" single?

Here's a better scan of the cover:

I think you can get CD's of this on amazon.

• I bought this on cassette within the past two months.

• Shit, I have been bumping this for the last week.

So there is a legitimate vinyl issue of this album? Or was it just a 12" single?

Here's a better scan of the cover:

I think you can get CD's of this on amazon.

There is a full length with no cover that is pretty hard to get. I've only seen it twice. It doesn't have all the songs on it either.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Totally Insane is total insanity!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Shit, I have been bumping this for the last week.

There is a full length with no cover that is pretty hard to get. I've only seen it twice. It doesn't have all the songs on it either.
    Damn!

Recently I saw a "demo" by them on ebay. Is this the demo they talk about in one of the songs, I think the line is:

"we shopped around our demo and nobody was calling us back" (or something)

?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    who got the mp3s???????

You need to support those hommies. You can still get "Direct from the backstreet" on CD mane.

• Classic stuff.I'm old so I prefer that kind of shit instead of the "hyphy" music out now.

That label "in-a-minute records" had some classic albums definetly worth seeking out(Totally Insane,RBL,Mc Pooh).

• In-a-Minute was a really funny operation. They had a label and a one-stop distribution shop at MacArthur and San Pablo in Oakland.

Going in there in the early 90s was comedy because they marketed the gulliest shit, but the owners and much of the staff were middle-aged and uber-white. I remember the label boss, Jason, having one of those male pattern baldness mullets, some chains and a flashy Porsche that was always parked out front. His father, Elliot, was an O.G. in the biz and had been one of the owners of Jubilee Records. There's a very funny anecdote in Frederick Dannen's "Hit Men" book about Elliot and his brother, the co-owner of Jubilee, having a four-book bookkeeping system whereby they were cheating not just the IRS, but each other. They came off kind of like a real-life version of the ugly stereotype Jewish biz folks in "Mo' Better Blues", only way less buttoned-down.

Two of the cooler folks from In-a-Minute, Jo and Chris, broke off to form the short-lived DogDay and Stray labels and put out some stuff by Dre Dog, the Coup and Closed Caption.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Two of the cooler folks from In-a-Minute, Jo and Chris, broke off to form the short-lived DogDay and Stray labels and put out some stuff by Dre Dog, the Coup and Closed Caption.

And one of my household favorites...

• my tracklist reads
    side a
    kiss no ass
    no more mr. nice guy
    heartless mother fuc...
    mack game

side b
    the insane
    smooth
    i can't be faded
    i don't even trip
    now ya understand

is this the same tracklist as the 'direct from the backstreet' with art??

and yeah, there is a cd of this on gemm, anyone curious may as well just order it.