Should there be a seperate Rap Forum on SS?

Comments

• and yes... the term "crate digging" started with hip-hop producers... anything else is just "record collecting" or "buying albums"...

So when your looking for rap/hip-hop LPs/12"s your "Crate Digging" and when your looking for soul,funk,rock,blues etc your "buying albums." Got it. I learn something very useful everyday.

no... what it comes down to is if you're digging for SAMPLES, you're CRATE DIGGIN'...

I'm gonna start asking my customers when they come in the door if they are here for "Crate Digging" or "Buying Albums."

There are a lot of records that stores would probably be selling for $1.99 if it weren't for "crate diggers". I mean, I've never been to your shop and don't know how you guys price records but if you're asking anything more than $5 for Tom Scott Honeysuckle Breeze then you owe a bit more gratitude to these folks then you're currently showing...

my 2... no beef or anything...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    and yes... the term "crate digging" started with hip-hop producers... anything else is just "record collecting" or "buying albums"...

So when your looking for rap/hip-hop LPs/12"s your "Crate Digging" and when your looking for soul,funk,rock,blues etc your "buying albums." Got it. I learn something very useful everyday.

No, like in the 90s and shit when they would dig through crates of rackords to make rap songs out of, that is crate digging. Buy rap 12s is just called shopping.
    What if said rap 12's are raer out-of-press releases?

Thats called "Expanding The Collection"

If you buy records and then play them in a club you are a "DJ".

If you buy records and then just listen to them then you are a "Music Lover".

If you buy expensive records off of ebay and just to see what they sound like you are a "Reynaldo".

If you buy records and don't do shit with them then you are "Merely A Great Collectro".

If you don't buy records at all but you hang out at record related message boards.... well I dont know what you are called exactly. Introduce yourself.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    and yes... the term "crate digging" started with hip-hop producers... anything else is just "record collecting" or "buying albums"...

No, like in the 90s and shit when they would dig through crates of rackords to make rap songs out of, that is crate digging. Buy rap 12s is just called shopping.

If you buy expensive records off of ebay and just to see what they sound like you are a "Reynaldo".

If you buy records and don't do shit with them then you are "Merely A Great Collectro".

If you don't buy records at all but you hang out at record related message boards.... well I dont know what you are called exactly. Introduce yourself.
    I'm none of the above. As a matter of fact, I'm so swift and changeable, that you can't even label me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    there should be a separate forum for LOSERS

• and yes... the term "crate digging" started with hip-hop producers... anything else is just "record collecting" or "buying albums"...

no... what it comes down to is if you're digging for SAMPLES, you're CRATE DIGGIN'...

I'm gonna start asking my customers when they come in the door if they are here for "Crate Digging" or "Buying Albums."

There are a lot of records that stores would probably be selling for $1.99 if it weren't for "crate diggers". I mean, I've never been to your shop and don't know how you guys price records but if you're asking anything more than $5 for Tom Scott Honeysuckle Breeze then you owe a bit more gratitude to these folks then you're currently showing...

my 2... no beef or anything...

We don't price records based off weither or not they have been sampled or not or contain breaks. That's just stupid. A Leo Sayer record is a Leo Sayer record. What if someone actually likes that Tom Scott but is not willing to pay our jack-up price because it has a break on it. I don't see how I'm disrespecting "these folks" nor do I know what graditude your talking about. Price your records how you want...I'm sure there are a lot more "Crate Diggers" in NY.

I'm none of the above. As a matter of fact, I'm so swift and changeable, that you can't even label me.
    Not even as "swift and changeable"?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Not even as "swift and changeable"?
    Not even!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    We don't price records based off weither or not they have been sampled or not or contain breaks. That's just stupid. A Leo Sayer record is a Leo Sayer record. What if someone actually likes that Tom Scott but is not willing to pay our jack-up price because it has a break on it. I don't see how I'm disrespecting "these folks" nor do I know what graditude your talking about. Price your records how you want...I'm sure there are a lot more "Crate Diggers" in NY.
    You are aware that there are complete shit records that NO ONE would be buying unless someone sampled them, right?

• I just checked...Tom Scott "Honeysuckle Breeze" $4.99. It's been here since March of last year.

there should be a separate forum for LOSERS

uh, its right here

• I just checked...Tom Scott "Honeysuckle Breeze" $4.99. It's been here since March of last year.

That is awesome. i am sure you can sell it to one of the dudes on this site.

although I have trouble believing that a honeysuckle breeze sits anywhere for $5 for more than a year. Do you not have *any* sample freaks or dealers coming in?

• We don't price records based off weither or not they have been sampled or not or contain breaks. That's just stupid. A Leo Sayer record is a Leo Sayer record. What if someone actually likes that Tom Scott but is not willing to pay our jack-up price because it has a break on it. I don't see how I'm disrespecting "these folks" nor do I know what graditude your talking about. Price your records how you want...I'm sure there are a lot more "Crate Diggers" in NY.
    You are aware that there are complete shit records that NO ONE would be buying unless someone sampled them, right?

I am aware of this. This does not apply where I am at. I guess a question that's on my mind pretty often is "What do I do with this sample that has already been sampled?" Seriously, are you gonna re-sample it? This nor anything else I've said in this thread is ment to piss off anyone. I'm am real with these questions.

• although I have trouble believing that a honeysuckle breeze sits anywhere for $5 for more than a year.

LOL!!! That's some funny shit!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I am aware of this. This does not apply where I am at. I guess a question that's on my mind pretty often is "What do I do with this sample that has already been sampled?" Seriously, are you gonna re-sample it? This nor anything else I've said in this thread is ment to piss off anyone. I'm am real with these questions.
    I never really understood it either. I could understand a few select shits and all drums, but I never understood the "must collect everything DJ Premier and Shadow has sampled" thing. Regardless though, it creates a demand for otherwise unsellable records.

• although I have trouble believing that a honeysuckle breeze sits anywhere for $5 for more than a year.

What is funny about that? Everywhere I go, there are dudes scouring the local shops for "beats yo" and a couple dudes who fancy themselves dealers and sell to local producers, on ebay, whatever. I would figure in a major city there would be someone, somewhere, who would buy that.

I am sure you are gonna get PMs from dudes gripping on some Tom Scott. $5!!!

As for why that record and others like it sell, I never really understood the appeal of, say, Johnny Dankworth, I mean it's little noises that Primo chopped up, who cares... but Tom Scott, I actually like the song itself, I can see why it's nostalgic for some people, I think it's a pretty chill cut. Sometimes I could really care less if someone sampled it, I get guys picking up records all the time like "you know what's on this right?" and it's like, a serious record like Mingus Mingus Mingus. Sometimes if I'm feeling snappy I'll just ask the dude the same question... haha...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

although I have trouble believing that a honeysuckle breeze sits anywhere for $5 for more than a year.

Seriously, dude... you've had not a single dealer or knowledgable collector in your store in the past YEAR???

I might have to make a roadtrip...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I might have to make a roadtrip...

Me too. I gotta change cars though.

Soulstrut used to have a seperate Rap forum.

Are you sure about that??

I've been here since it was Chase Crusher and Iron Monkey and RAJ talking about funk when nobody gave a damn and I don't remember that at all...

• yes

• We have much modern soul as well. Cheap as $1.00. Seriously, the Ponderosa Stomp is here in May. The line-up is incredible! Come to the Stomp and raid us of our $5 samples. PLEASE!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    shing, i'll buy that tom scott for $5 if it's og (have they reisshed that yet?)

also, i will buy any records that you're selling for less than $10 if they go for 5 times that amount on ebay. this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

seriously, pm me

• shing, i'll buy that tom scott for $6[/b] if it's og (have they reisshed that yet?)

also, i will buy any records that you're selling for less than $11[/b] if they go for 5 times that amount on ebay. this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

• GRIPTASTIC!!!

• Do I hear $7? Seven! Do I hear $8? Eight! It's been spoken for. Dudes gotta be quick with the PMs.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Do I hear $7? Seven! Do I hear $8? Eight! It's been spoken for. Dudes gotta be quick with the PMs.

ok, well if you still wanna send me a pm just for the heck of it, go ahead. i'll be waiting

Soulstrut used to have a seperate Rap forum.

Are you sure about that??

I've been here since it was Chase Crusher and Iron Monkey and RAJ talking about funk when nobody gave a damn and I don't remember that at all...

Damn, it's sad that I remember those days. I too remember the "true hip-hop spot".

http://web.archive.org/web/20001211065000/www.soulstrut.com/soulcgi/Ultimate.cgi

[Damn, it's sad that I remember those days. I too remember the true hip-hop spot.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001211065000/www.soulstrut.com/soulcgi/Ultimate.cgi

I don't remember any of that... !

But I feel a little bit better seeing this:

Nelly fans and Jay-Z worshippers try jiggy.com's message board.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

My vote is NAY.

No more forums.