NYC Headz

soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
heading left mon. may 23rd till that friday to look @ cribz...whats crackin? peace

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    If you're lucky, you can go down to times square around 42 & 8th and see the Black Isrealities. These guys are great! They will have a stage set up and will be dressed like a combination of Ali Baba's 40 thieves and pirates. Turbans, shiny MC Hammer pants, pointed curved shoes, etc.. These fools have got Biblical based racist mythology on lock! Check their list for your race and see if you are allowed to board the spaceship when the world ends. It's fun for the whole family!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Good one Daze. I know Doug E. Fresh was down with "The Black Isrealities" and I think Mobb Deep were as well. Anyone know other rappers that are down with these fools?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If you're lucky, you can go down to times square around 42 & 8th and see the Black Isrealities. These guys are great! They will have a stage set up and will be dressed like a combination of Ali Baba's 40 thieves and pirates. Turbans, shiny MC Hammer pants, pointed curved shoes, etc.. These fools have got Biblical based racist mythology on lock! Check their list for your race and see if you are allowed to board the spaceship when the world ends. It's fun for the whole family!

They also do their thing on 125th Street on Saturdays. What I like about them is that they're really big on crowd interaction. It ain't no one way street; I can't walk by without being called a "so-called white man" and invited over for an exchange.

Their public access show used to be kind of hot too.

and their food is the BOMB.

Soul Vegetarian anyone?

definitely one of the things I miss about Chicago.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    This messenger cat alway calls me into the mailroom so he can spit some knowledge. I'm kinda like, "YAWWWWWN." but i listen and interact. Cool enough dude, but it's the argument he's after.

Soul Vegetarian anyone?

Soul Vegetarion is run by Hebrew Israelites? I knew they were affiliated with some fringe religious group. I used to eat at the one in ATL all the time when I was younger.

This messenger cat alway calls me into the mailroom so he can spit some knowledge. I'm kinda like, "YAWWWWWN." but i listen and interact. Cool enough dude, but it's the argument he's after.

Does he indulge in excess use of the adjective "so called"? That's one of my favorite things about talking to fringe religious types...

Soul Vegetarian anyone?

Soul Vegetarion is run by Hebrew Israelites? I knew they were affiliated with some fringe religious group. I used to eat at the one in ATL all the time when I was younger.

yeah, but the people at the restaurant never preach all crazy or anything.

The bbq Protien Nuggets are damn yummy. Fried seitan, mmmmmm.

• If you're lucky, you can go down to times square around 42 & 8th and see the Black Isrealities. These guys are great! They will have a stage set up and will be dressed like a combination of Ali Baba's 40 thieves and pirates. Turbans, shiny MC Hammer pants, pointed curved shoes, etc.. These fools have got Biblical based racist mythology on lock! Check their list for your race and see if you are allowed to board the spaceship when the world ends. It's fun for the whole family!

we get them in leimert park in la, too. lets see some NYC only ish!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hmmm. wish i could help more, but alls i can offer is food.

i think youre gonna look around brooklyn, right? if so, id suggest getting some west indian food. couldnt give you any names, or locations, but from my experience, brooklyn is bountiful in that dept and its kinda like the taquerias of new york. well, more like the 99 cent chinese food of new york, but they got that too. anyways, most things are sitting under heat lamps or in chaffing dishes or some shit. i mean, it aint fresh, but then again, its not bad either. pies were my shit.

pizza. now this would be more along the lines of the taqueria of the east. pretty much wherever i went, there was a pizza joint. wish i could spend more time and grade these joints, but i'll say pretty much any slice joint in NY kicks ass over west coast pizza.

indian food. i like this shit in the winter cuz in the summer you get all sweaty and youll sweat that shit out smelling like stale syrup. but the indian food kicks ass! there's a whole row of restaurants somewhere in manhattan, but id try and steer clear of manhattan as much as possible. not a knock on manhattan, its just, drez, i know you. youll get tired of that shit real quick and its best served in doses. id head out to jackson heights in queens. they got a bunch of fast food jammies out there thatll sell you fried clumps of batter for cheap. that shit is TASTY!!! also, try jackson diner as i can easily say its the best indian food ive had outside of london. for the price...

i take it youll know where to look for the paint??? cant help you there. but there are a few elevated trains in queens and i think in brooklyn as well. i mean, im no connoiseur, but just riding the elevated train and looking out the window did me fine.

also, there's some spot up north that has carribean food and there's even the dudes that stand by the train station with the bullhorn and pamphlets a la 7th and alvarado if you ever get homesick. minus the tamale/elotes cart, of course.

• Options

Yeah these guys are a hoot!! If you're not feeling Times Square, go to the corner of 7th and 34th, northwest side. They're over there too, and then when you've had enough you can hit Rock N Soul a block north.

One time I was walking by and happened to notice a little elderly white woman walk right up to them, get their attention and say "The only people I don't like, are Jews and Niggahs", then walked away with this huge smile while the Isrealite went off on her. Shit was hysterical.

Apologies for the race inclusions, but it's part of the story.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Their public access show used to be kind of hot too.

I remember that show. There was one episode that they were trying to argue that William Shakespeare was black, along the lines of, "No white man can write so soulfully," it was comedy. I use to see them all the time on Fordham Rd when I lived in the BX, I would watch the spectacle for a while until they singled me out one day, "Look at that white pig, thinks we're his entertainment," quite uncomfortable. According to them Genghis Khan was black too.

drez, pm on the horizon

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    there's a whole row of restaurants somewhere in manhattan, but id try and steer clear of manhattan as much as possible. not a knock on manhattan, its just, drez, i know you. youll get tired of that shit real quick and its best served in doses.
    no barrio, or harlem???? (better go to harlem quick, it won't be around for long......next thing you know realators will be calling it spa lem.)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    there's a whole row of restaurants somewhere in manhattan, but id try and steer clear of manhattan as much as possible. not a knock on manhattan, its just, drez, i know you. youll get tired of that shit real quick and its best served in doses.
    no barrio, or harlem????
    (better go to harlem quick, it won't be around for long......next thing you know realators will be calling it spa lem.)
    too late. i already heard someone refer to spanish harlem as "SPAHA"... kid you not.

Soulrez, give me a holler when you come through. I'll see that you're connected well.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Soul Vegetarian anyone?

I was there on Sunday. The most bomb greens, veggie chicken, potatoes, beans, apple pie Ive ever ated. Shit is not cheap though.. for 2 meals *without a drink even* it was 30$

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

They also do their thing on 125th Street on Saturdays. What I like about them is that they're really big on crowd interaction. It ain't no one way street; I can't walk by without being asked "Why you dress like Jay-Z?"[/b] and invited over for an exchange.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    Good one Daze. I know Doug E. Fresh was down with "The Black Isrealities" and I think Mobb Deep were as well. Anyone know other rappers that are down with these fools?

Dou wans't a Israelite. He's a member of the 12 Tribes of Judah.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

Soulrez, give me a holler when you come through. I'll see that you're connected well.

sounds good g'

peace

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Whats on the sign...can't read it. Gotta know if I'm eligible...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    heading left mon. may 23rd till that friday to look @ cribz...
    whats crackin?
    peace

Not Parkslope apparently.... Oh we did this already.

Come check some funky soul Thursday night in Wburg. Daptone-family ish.

Chester.mp3

Kim Chi.mp3

Boss Tweed.mp3

Slippin into Darkness.mp3