Japan goodness? (RR)

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Ok, so I'm gonna do a japanese music night here in Iceland in about two weeks. I did one a month ago and went well so I'm looking for some fresh/new stuff to play. Already well stocked on hip hop and electronica/"indies" stuff. Also gots enough of the obligatory digger-70's-OST for the evening.Been looking into other 70s scheisse such as Happy End which I like somewhat, reccommendations on similar rock/folk from that era? (gots Yumi Arai's 'Misslim', guitarist from Happy End solo outing and some Hi-Fi Blend)Also if there are any heads up on good recent japanese ska/reggae/dub? (already have me some Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Little Tempo, Dry & Heavy, Miceteeth, Ska Flames)Paging Funky Mimizu, Sheep, Big Chan and other nippon headz!!!

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I wouldn't claim to know anything about Japanese music, but Osaka Monorail is pretty decent...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    More recent than anything but I really like this girl named Juju on Sony. She put out two 10"s last year, but nothing else since. It has an early shinichi osawa/bird sound to it. I probably am the most fanatical collector of Japanese material here, old & new.

Also, I celebrate happy end's entire catalogue.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I probably am the most fanatical collector of Japanese material here, old & new.

Nice... Now give me some of the music and movies!!

• I probably am the most fanatical collector of Japanese material here, old & new.

So here I post the question I asked else where

Kimiko Kasai :I only knew her herbie hancock-produced joint
    but one of her albums seems featuring Joe Sample on piano and arranged by Oliver Nelson .....of course feel free to suggest anything else worth to listen.......

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    dor - get at me dude

strider - the hancock one "butterly" is probably her best album. Great great disco groover in "I Thought It Was You", better than the instrumental version that is on Hancock's album.

Japan has one of the most interesting new music scenes in the world right now. Solely my opinion.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Juju - Cravin'

Orange Pekoe - Metro

Sleepwalker - Waltz For Moe

Gagle - Constellation

Bird - Souls (especial bossa mix)

pm me if you're into this stuff.

• Japan has one of the most interesting new music scenes in the world right now. Solely my opinion.

Yes, but its been downhill since the demise of Trattoria. Especially for Readymade. And somewhat for Escalator. But I still love them dudes.

Hey, Mondeyano... Try to scrounge up some of the Ino Hidefumi 7"s. Awesome break-backed rhodes renditions of Billie-Jean, Spartacus Love Theme, Just the Two of Us, etc...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Some older joints???.

Play ALL the dope Tatsuro Yamashita joints
    Mariya Takeuchi ??? Plastic love
    Himiko Kikuchi ??? What???s baby 12???
    Yasuko Agawa ??? L.A. night 12???
    Yasuko Agawa ??? Skindo le-le
    Kimiko Kasai ??? Use me
    Toshiki Kadomatsu ??? Elena
    Minako Yoshida - Koi Wa Ryuse 7??? version. YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS ONE!!!!!!!

Muro joints???.

Space funk 2001
    El Carnaval
    Beat Stalker

Newer J-pop/Soul joints

Moomin ??? Windy lady (summer sunset mix)
    Sakura ??? Day in, day out
    Sakura ??? Watashi na ra

Misia joints (she is like the Mariah Carey of Japan)

Shining Starr ??? DJ Spinna remix
    Back blocks ??? DJ Spinna remix
    Escape
    Ai no uta
    Rhythm reflection
    Hinoataru basyo

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Try to scrounge up some of the Ino Hidefumi 7"s. Awesome break-backed rhodes renditions of Billie-Jean, Spartacus Love Theme, Just the Two of Us, etc...

I'd say his stuff is a much tigher version of YNQ. Those 45's go for a pretty penny now

chan - love love love that skindo le le cover, that muro el carnival is great too. My fav sakura track is "oh I".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Yasuko Agawa ??? L.A. night 12???

One of my fav tracks

Yeah, I like that shit Aser... I'll be buggin you for more soon!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

oh HELL no!!

were these available on 12"s ??

I'd like to find out...sounds very interesting!!

thanks...

• Hey man, good luck with your show!

As for rock and folk stuff... lessee... You might already know these, but here's a few...

Gedo (nice rock, quite funky at times)
    Zunou Keisatsu
    Maki Asakawa (folk, blues, jazz, with some harder funky moments)
    Lilly (I celebrate her entire catalogue)
    Tranzam (some dope laid back psyche type folk/rock/jazz, esp. the "August 9th" LP)
    The Sadistics (post Mika Band, everyone talks about the SMB, but the Sadistics had dope shit too, more dance oriented, and often leaning towards disco)

I'll post some more up a little later...

How do you plan on getting more japanese records in two weeks? You using vinyl or CD's for the show?

Also... are you just looking for funky stuff, or stuff with beats...? Or just good Japanese stuff in general?

Peace...
    FNM

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

oh HELL no!!

were these available on 12"s ??

I'd like to find out...sounds very interesting!!

thanks...

Check your PMs Kenny!

• Since we're on the topic of Japanese stuff, old and new...

Anyone know if that new Ugly Duckling 12" with the Suchadarappa remix was/is available in the states too?

Peace...
    FNM

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    pretty sure it's japan only as I've only seen it on my usual browse through dmr, cisco, etc......Plus it's on Handcuts no?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Hey man, good luck with your show!

How do you plan on getting more japanese records in two weeks? You using vinyl or CD's for the show?

Also... are you just looking for funky stuff, or stuff with beats...? Or just good Japanese stuff in general?

Peace...
    FNM
    Gracias.

I'm gonna be using about 50/50 vinyl and CDs. There's no other choice really.

Doesn't matter if it has beats, just that the music is good. Just trying to get good music and variety. For instance I never really dug ska in the past but have found some real nice choons from digging a bit into it.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    m-flo + akiko wada + jackson sisters

This song still blows me away every time. Aretha Franklin of Japan dudes.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Minako Yoshida - Koi Wa Ryuse 7??? version. YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS ONE!!!!!!!

That shit's DOPE!!! I was very happy when I found this... the break is fat and the track is dope...

I saw the REISSUE of this joint going for serious loot recently on yahoo auctions

peace.

• any good Chaki Miyako out there ?

• any good Chaki Miyako out there ?

Chaki Miyako is dope, and slept on. The "chillin' at the cafe" record is really really great.

Peace...
    FNM

• I would like a preview with some mp3s......could you suggest any website/blog ?

thanks

• >>>>Capricious

With covers of "Superstition", "Cisko Kid", "Peace everybody" etc sung in engrish with tons of wahwah you can??t go wrong. It??s been talked about here...

- J

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Could anyone guess as to the rarity of your average release on the "Three Blind Mice" label? Not so much, I'm guessing.