MBOX problems??

lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
been using this thing for a while now, never had problems. lately i have been recording music from my reciever to protools through my mbox. so i'm using rca cables with rca to mic adaptors going in to my mbox.now for some unforseen reason, when i plug my reciever into my mbox the signal from the reciever gets killed? and strange things are happening, almost like the signal is being sent back to the reciever. sometimes my reciever switches from phono to tuner at the moment i plug it in. crazy feedback and strange humming is all you can get out of the headphones/monitor from the mbox. what the fuck is happening? anyone have an idea?thanks in advance

Comments

• i used soundforge/acid pro for a while then decided to make the jump to protools recently...worked for a month until i put serato on the same laptop...now i all i get is this "h/w buffer size needs to be reduced crap" reduce it and it tells me to increase it...ad nauseum....upped my ram to a gig...to no avail...reinstalled the software...nada....so yeah, MBOX=problems....dont know in your case....probably the receiver...goodluck

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i used soundforge/acid pro for a while then decided to make the jump to protools recently...worked for a month until i put serato on the same laptop...now i all i get is this "h/w buffer size needs to be reduced crap" reduce it and it tells me to increase it...ad nauseum....upped my ram to a gig...to no avail...reinstalled the software...nada....so yeah, MBOX=problems....dont know in your case....probably the receiver...goodluck
    You need to change your hardware buffer size within Pro Tools. It's under like "Setup" "Hardware" or some shit like that. If you don't get an answer by the time I get home I can look it up for you.

• i used soundforge/acid pro for a while then decided to make the jump to protools recently...worked for a month until i put serato on the same laptop...now i all i get is this "h/w buffer size needs to be reduced crap" reduce it and it tells me to increase it...ad nauseum....upped my ram to a gig...to no avail...reinstalled the software...nada....so yeah, MBOX=problems....dont know in your case....probably the receiver...goodluck
    You need to change your hardware buffer size within Pro Tools. It's under like "Setup" "Hardware" or some shit like that. If you don't get an answer by the time I get home I can look it up for you.

Brian
    yeah, ive been doing that...repeatedly...the problem i believe is the result of serato being on there....cuz protools worked fine prior....troubleshootings a bitch though....thnx though

• edit

• my reciever is fucked, but that isn't even the issue here. on prefectly normal recievers it does the same thing.

if you have mbox problems related to this, please drop some knowledge.

Brian
    yeah, ive been doing that...repeatedly...the problem i believe is the result of serato being on there....cuz protools worked fine prior....troubleshootings a bitch though....thnx though

Sup ?
    I've had that same problem recently, nothing to do with Serato installed on the pc (I'll explain later)...
    I've changed from ProTools 6.4 to 6.7 to 7.0, still that same shit happening. I've changed my Ram before up to 1Go like you... Funny thing is that it's been working great for like two years so far, now it works for like one hour, then I don't know (processors gettin' all warmep up...), and then I've got that shitty message... And I've tried everything I could to make it disappear (switching to 128 Mo in the Buffer size to 1024 to whatever in some other options ish' and CPU%, loading some updates for some softwares linked to ProTools I had seen on boards, taking Reason out, putting it back, taking all the plugs out, putting them back, same with ProTools, there's even one board where someone was explaining how to set up your XP so it's CPU effective when using ProTools... ; well, nothing really worked).
    Anyway, I've tried another laptop (I've got two Sony's laptop), and never got that issue so far. And there's Serato on it...
    Problem on this laptop is with plugins, those shit are heavy CPU consumers and it can't take it when I make beats... Like if you use two battery plugs on two distinct tracks, it's getting ugly... But it's perfect for mixes (so far)...
    I'll advise you to switch to Mac (I never wanted to but looks like I will have to, Mac works perfect with Digidesign but I guess I'll have to say goodbye to all those free plugins I got from P2P) and take the latest version of ProTools (>= 7.0) ; it's been conceived so it won't charge as much CPU speaking when it works...
    Besides that, don't see... Hope that'll help...

Brian

Sup ?
    I've had that same problem recently, nothing to do with Serato installed on the pc (I'll explain later)...
    I've changed from ProTools 6.4 to 6.7 to 7.0, still that same shit happening. I've changed my Ram before up to 1Go like you... Funny thing is that it's been working great for like two years so far, now it works for like one hour, then I don't know (processors gettin' all warmep up...), and then I've got that shitty message... And I've tried everything I could to make it disappear (switching to 128 Mo in the Buffer size to 1024 to whatever in some other options ish' and CPU%, loading some updates for some softwares linked to ProTools I had seen on boards, taking Reason out, putting it back, taking all the plugs out, putting them back, same with ProTools, there's even one board where someone was explaining how to set up your XP so it's CPU effective when using ProTools... ; well, nothing really worked).
    Anyway, I've tried another laptop (I've got two Sony's laptop), and never got that issue so far. And there's Serato on it...
    Problem on this laptop is with plugins, those shit are heavy CPU consumers and it can't take it when I make beats... Like if you use two battery plugs on two distinct tracks, it's getting ugly... But it's perfect for mixes (so far)...
    I'll advise you to switch to Mac (I never wanted to but looks like I will have to, Mac works perfect with Digidesign but I guess I'll have to say goodbye to all those free plugins I got from P2P) and take the latest version of ProTools (>= 7.0) ; it's been conceived so it won't charge as much CPU speaking when it works...
    Besides that, don't see... Hope that'll help...

thanks for hte long winded explanation...one thing...why would protools work fine w/o a hitch then all of a sudden, the very instant I load serato on the same laptop, begin tripping? I really dont wont to invest in another laptop, though i considered doing so alreaady. theres another explanation.............

• Can't explain really, this shit has been bugging me those last 15 days, and I still don't know how ProTools and Serato interact with each other.. One thing though, do you ave that message when you try to record from Serato straight to ProTools using the same laptop ? I have never tried that but not sure the M-Box, which is USB powered, and the Serato, same thing, would appreciate much...
    Have you tried to uninstall Serato and work proTools to see if it acted like it used to ?