Joanna Newsome

2»

Comments

• I love her music, and her look etc, but I'm not a fan of the 'emo' connection she's getting.

I don't understand that connection. Like, do all the emo-kids that listen to Funeral FOr A Friend like her stuff too, and see it as a 'safe' folk sort of alternative to brag about to their supposedly -too- 'emo' mates??

Maybe I missed the point, but needless to say - Joanna sounds great to me. I love it.

It seems loads of you have seen her live (well a couple anyway) - I take it a stack of these board members are big into gigs. Being from Dundee - we have a pretty bleak gig scene unless you're in to bland rock or 'emo' (bar 2 or 3 decent bands)

Alex

• awallawall 673 Posts
    if bay heads are interested, josephine foster is playing at the hemlock tonite with plastic crimewave

OKAY now i'm not sure that she's playing. My friend told me she was based on info he got from Steve from Plastice Crimewave who is also her boyfriend and playing tonite. But I just saw the Flavorpill listing and her name isn't on there.

yeah that did seem strange

it would be mad weird seeing her on the same bill as plastic crimewave

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I love Tyrannosaurus Rex, fuck Devandra.

I couldn't agree with you more

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Devendra rules.

That is all.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont know about any of this other shit but i heard some devendra barnheart or whatever its called on college radio once and that shit was fucking awful.

• I love Tyrannosaurus Rex, fuck Devandra.

I've made Devandra fans jaws drop with some Tyrannosaurus Rex.

• I don't mind her.
    It's a bit too "fairy" and light for my liking.

In the same vein though, I love Holly Golightly, Scout Niblett and New Buffalo.
    New Buffalo's an Australian singer/producer (she samples wax!) and she's married to Darren from the Avalanches.
    You can listen to her stuff here. http://www.arts-crafts.ca/newbuffalo/
    Recovery and Yes are my favourite songs off the album.
    Another good indie/pop group out of Australia are Architecture In Helsinki.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

um. whoa. i probably should not reveal this, but ever need to get a secret out of me? this is what will work.

• um. whoa. i probably should not reveal this, but ever need to get a secret out of me? this is what will work.

ok

POST YOUR MUG OR YOURE SOFT

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Scout Niblett

yes!

Architecture In Helsinki.

no

• I love Tyrannosaurus Rex, fuck Devandra.

• I guess I'm feeling emo this morning, cause I'm really feeling this.

http://www.myspace.com/joannanewsom

I remember seeing her pop up here but I didn't know who she was (disconnected from the moder harpist streets). Anybody know what's up with her or anything I should check for?

I'll admit certain days I can feel it.... well a few of her songs that is. I'll give her credit though for standing out, and trying to do something different. Alot of that music sounds like rehashed dogshit if you ask me.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I love Tyrannosaurus Rex, fuck Devandra.

Yes. But if anyone disses Sam Beam, there will be words.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Sometimes I find shitty voices endearing, but I can see how they [/b] could get on your nerves.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    she'll be playing www.attheecho.com on saturday for LA people.
    it looks like it'll be during the day cuz jay-dee tribute is at night.
    also notice esg will there friday night.

i may be at the echo all weekkend

• Peace Day,

Vashti Bunyan is another artist in that folky vein. She has an album from '69 called "Just Another Diamond Day". Animal Collective also hooked up with her and did an album called "Prospect Hummer" EP 2005. Some others Christina Carter, Fursaxa, Empress, Juana Molina, Karen Dalton "In my own time" '71, et al.
    I've been feeling folky female vocals for a minute now. Hope this helps, brethren.

One,
    El

PS: Peace to Mr. Jeigh! Finally outta there, money!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

um. whoa. i probably should not reveal this, but ever need to get a secret out of me? this is what will work.

ok

POST YOUR MUG OR YOURE SOFT

NO! NOT SOFT!

in my favourite outfit in dc

at school in montreal. giant head children on the left, normal head children on the right.