Riverside Label Recommendations

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2015 in Record Collecting
i'm not too deep into the label, but i'm curious as to what some of peoples favorite titles are.
TAGGED:

Comments

• On the jazz tip: Mongo Santamaria, Johnny Lytle.

Off it: the Staple Singers, Lou Courtney.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    think of the greatest jazz artists evar.

most of them made their best work on Riverside.

You should narrow your question.

• think of the greatest jazz artists evar.

most of them made their best work on Riverside.

You should narrow your question.

Check this site: http://www.jazzdisco.org/riverside/

• Bill Evans Village Vanguard
    Bill Evans Waltz for Debby
    Bill Evans Explorations
    Bill Evans Moonbeams
    Johnny Griffin The Kerry Dancers
    James Clay Double Dose of Soul
    Abbey Lincoln It's Magic
    Cannonbal Adderley Bossa Nova
    Bobby Timmons Tis Hear
    Ahmed Abdul Malik Jazz Sahara
    Jimmy Heath The Quota

You cannot go wrong with any of these. I like driving and modal tracks and good long crisp horn and piano lines. I am not a huge fan of late bop (by late i mean anything after 1955!).
    And I LOVE anything Bill Evans.

I had to total honor and pleasure of buying the remainder of Orrin Keepnews records, cd's and paper before he moved out of his home in San Francisco back in 2004. Orrin founded the Riverside label in the 50's and also the Washington label (all folk and ethnic music) and Offbeat, Jazzland and all the associated Riverside Companies.

What an amazing man. He had a framed copy of the contract in which Prestige Records released Monk to him so he could record under Riverside. Wes Montgomery he said was his best discovery. I am a huge Bill Evans fan but he did not have much to say about him.

What a vist. Lots of great records left there too.

ap
    RAJ

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Bill Evans Moonbeams

cosignage on this

also picked up Pachanga with Barretto recently and have been digging it

I had to total honor and pleasure of buying the remainder of Orrin Keepnews records, cd's and paper before he moved out of his home in San Francisco back in 2004. Orrin founded the Riverside label in the 50's and also the Washington label (all folk and ethnic music) and Offbeat, Jazzland and all the associated Riverside Companies.

What an amazing man. He had a framed copy of the contract in which Prestige Records released Monk to him so he could record under Riverside. Wes Montgomery he said was his best discovery. I am a huge Bill Evans fan but he did not have much to say about him.

• Bill Evans Village Vanguard
    Bill Evans Waltz for Debby
    Bill Evans Explorations
    Bill Evans Moonbeams
    Johnny Griffin The Kerry Dancers
    James Clay Double Dose of Soul
    Abbey Lincoln It's Magic
    Cannonbal Adderley Bossa Nova
    Bobby Timmons Tis Hear
    Ahmed Abdul Malik Jazz Sahara
    Jimmy Heath The Quota

You cannot go wrong with any of these. I like driving and modal tracks and good long crisp horn and piano lines. I am not a huge fan of late bop (by late i mean anything after 1955!).
    And I LOVE anything Bill Evans.

ap
    thanks for the list, ap. i definately have heard great things about all bill evans riverside recordings. and thanks for the story. that's so cool.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    You will pretty much find value in any Riverside 'modern' Jazz LP from the 50s-60s, the Monk, Evans, Adderley, Timmons, Montgomery stuff is all great. Just stay clear of the dixieland style stuff.
    I love Bobby Timmons 'Born To Be Blue' LP.

Just stay clear of the dixieland style stuff.

A lot of that stuff is good too IMO.

• You will pretty much find value in any Riverside 'modern' Jazz LP from the 50s-60s
    cosign.

Art Blakey- Ugetsu (one of my favorites)

Vic Obeck - Isometric Exercising; RLP 7522

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just stay clear of the dixieland style stuff.

A lot of that stuff is good too IMO.
    That's cool, just personally not my cup of tea, but if you're into it, I guess they are examples of good dixieland/chicago stuff.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• Anthony, did Mr. Keepnews have any more copies of his book "View From Within"? I need more copies of it.