Winter In America

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I was just listening to this for what must be the 1,001st time last night and that shit hit me all over again as if it was the first time I heard it.It made me sit down, frozen just listening and thinking to myself the whole time: What's as compelling, intimate, sincere and as beautifully crafted as this album. I really couldn't think of anything. I entertained thoughts of "Karma," "A Love Supreme" and "What Color Is Love?" but I don't know...Anyone?

Comments

• Not quite the same genre, and not quite classic to the level of the things you mentioned, but intimate, well thought out records made me think of the following:

I know there's more stuff, I'm drawing a blank.

• winter in america

=

unfadeable

• great record. but he manifests the left's paranoid style of the 1970s in the message. I like happy island reggae music. Why can't Gil Scot Heron make a song about enterprise zones or Colin Powell? Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson: An Ode to Condaleezza. Shite like that.

• great record. but he manifests the left's paranoid style of the 1970s in the message. I like happy island reggae music. Why can't Gil Scot Heron make a song about enterprise zones or Colin Powell? Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson: An Ode to Condaleezza. Shite like that.

Hellllooooo Newman.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    great record. but he manifests the left's paranoid style of the 1970s in the message. I like happy island reggae music. Why can't Gil Scot Heron make a song about enterprise zones or Colin Powell? Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson: An Ode to Condaleezza. Shite like that.

Becuase of SS I will never confuse taking a Vitamin instead of an Aspirin ever again in my life.

• Good call.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    What makes this album great is its social relevance regardless of time frame, simply timeless.

If you like the album enough, go cop the cd reissue on tvt also because it features a bunch of live bonus cuts. Some taken from his dvd.......

I keep going back and forth between winter and it's your world as my fav album of his.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I've posted about this idea before, but I think Winter in America is soul's equivalent to:

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    great record. but he manifests the left's paranoid style of the 1970s in the message. I like happy island reggae music. Why can't Gil Scot Heron make a song about enterprise zones or Colin Powell? Gil Scott Heron and Brian Jackson: An Ode to Condaleezza. Shite like that.

This is maybe the greatest post in the history of soul strut. As self-parody, it briliantly points out why so many people have trouble with Vitamange's bizarre dualistic tendency. Noboby likes a backpack rap loving 60's/70s hater.

If you take his words at face value shit is hilarious. What's next? Blackstar rocks out about missile defense? Maybe Lauren Hill can pen a little joint about eliminating the estate tax. Ridiculous.

It points out on the great connumdrums of the (Vitamin's) world. Why can't neo-cons be down? Who knows but you ain't gonna hear a great soul record from a conservative perspective ever, trust me. It also must infuriate them that liberals can crossover into conservative artistic genres, like country, and actually out perform the natives. I think it's funny that alt country groups have consistently produced product that will outlive all of Toby Keith and Co's entire catalogue.