Ernest Hardy on Dilla

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?option=com_lawcontent&task=view&id=12639&Itemid=9If I had known Hardy was going to write an obit for Dilla for the LA Weekly's website, I would have fallen back (I think mine will end up in print while his is web-only). Just like Dilla was a producer's producer, Hardy's one of my favorite writers and a tough act to follow. His opening graf alone is an amazing and apt tribute to Jay Dee.

Comments

• Yeah, you've got your work cut out for you. This is an excellent obit.

Kinda makes me cringe hearing that Sa-Ra are in a spot to sign Dilla. I appreciate SA-RA, but they haven't made that much of a name for themselves yet. Meanwhile, Dilla has had a hand in crafting some of the most energetic and soulful beats in the last decade.

I'm not touching the other thread where people are proclaiming him the Messiah, but Dilla's beats usually appealed straight to my mind and my neck. Not many beats make me nod my head these days - especially in light of the fact that I work in a cubicle - but Dilla had that effect.

I honestly believe that Dilla's Beat Tape (#3) was just about the best hip hop release the year it came out. I still listen to it a least once a month, if not more. It's a great listen not only because of how he twists those samples and throws it in your face, but just due to the overall flow and feel of the tape. Track 12 still amazes me everytime I listen.

I didn't know him as a man, but his beats will surely be missed.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I honestly believe that Dilla's Beat Tape (#3) was just about the best hip hop release the year it came out.

Please report to REALHEADZ - I've never heard that.

• well written... however, j dilla DID make the occasional cameo in videos... just not on the mainstream level. the last one i know of would be the MED video for "PUSH" (on stones throw). actually, the album cover to DONUTS is a still taken from that video. i had the great experience of getting to be a part of the crew that worked on the PUSH video. that particular club scene was shot inside of Star Shoes in Hollywood. dilla was looking healthy at the time... i have a feeling that's why they chose to use footage from that day for the cover pic... he wasn't looking as great closer to the release of donuts. the video for PUSH never got any airplay however, so i can see people not knowing about it... but you can watch it at the stones throw website.

i also have to agree that his beats #3 is my personal favorite release of his (although it was never released). if you haven't heard it, i HIGHLY recommend it... it has more soul samples than anything else he's ever done. it's not available for sale, so you'll have to get it from soulseek... if you like it, and feel it's something that you would have paid for, be sure to donate a lil something to dilla's mom (info can also be found on the front page of www.stonethrow.com).

the man will be missed. we were all in such disbelief that we crashed the stonesthrow board searching for info... and hoping it wasn't true.

RIP dilla... he's probably up there working on some tracks with Charizma & Big L.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    anyone else notice the difference between the picture that's on stonesthrow right now and the picture in the hardy article?
    censorship?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    anyone else notice the difference between the picture that's on stonesthrow right now and the picture in the hardy article?
    censorship?

wha?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    look at his hands.

• yeah the photoshopped bag in dilla's hand... noticed that a while ago... you can get the full-size version of the uncensored pic here:

http://www.stonesthrow.com/press/jdilla_by_roger_erickson.jpg

stones throw has been using the censored pic for media purposes a while now... at least they kept the official one up though.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    look at his hands.

Ahh, I didn't enlarge the pic.

• cool thing about the full-size pic is that it's so big you can even read the text on the dilla CD that's on madlib's drums... hell, you can even read the text on the LPs on the shelf.

• I honestly believe that Dilla's Beat Tape (#3) was just about the best hip hop release the year it came out.

I have no idea how to take part in Real Headz and don't care enough to chase my tail around on the boards to figure it out. If you want to PM me though we can figure out some way for me to get this to you.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    why can't i see the difference...

• because i'm guessing you havent seen the censored pic thats been floating around for months on anything dilla related...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    i was sitting here trying to compare the LA Weekly one and the big Stones Throw one, noticed that sack couple days ago, but hadn't seen the photoshopped one...

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

I honestly believe that Dilla's Beat Tape (#3) was just about the best hip hop release the year it came out.

I'd have to agree on this one. I'm pretty partial to "Another Batch" as well.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

How many of these tapes were out there I have three of em but they do not have the names you speak of?

How many of these tapes were out there I have three of em but they do not have the names you speak of?

Honestly, I don't know how many. I've got the three main beat tapes. But, I've also got Another Batch and a Jaylib one that contains a lot of beats that are not on Champion Sound. Its real real short too. I've only downloaded them(slsk), and honestly I am probably the wrong person to ask about all this. Don't know much about the years they came out and all that. The first beat tape, "Da 1st Installment," thats like '99 right?

• yeah the photoshopped bag in dilla's hand... noticed that a while ago... you can get the full-size version of the uncensored pic here:

http://www.stonesthrow.com/press/jdilla_by_roger_erickson.jpg

stones throw has been using the censored pic for media purposes a while now... at least they kept the official one up though.

respectable photoshop work I must say...stonesthrow must have some REAL nerdy interns.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

There are 6 I'm aware of from the last 2 years - that set includes the Billy Paul sample beat that appears on Steve Spacek's solo album...

• nah... it only takes like 3 minutes to do some stuff like that in photoshop... just gotta know how to use tools like the rubber stamp properly... just look at how quickly someone modified that pic in the celebrity sightings thread... but stones throw does have a great designer by the name of jeff jank.

• im shellshocked.

nah... it only takes like 3 minutes to do some stuff like that in photoshop... just gotta know how to use tools like the rubber stamp properly... just look at how quickly someone modified that pic in the celebrity sightings thread... but stones throw does have a great designer by the name of jeff jank.

http://www.stonesthrow.com/jank/index.html

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That photoshopped photo thing is hella funny. I mean, you can infer what's in his hands but it's not like it's super-duper obvious. Maybe he was eating pretzels.

• about 2 months ago someone on the ST forum photoshopped that same pic and had him holding up a donut... shit was pretty funny.

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    Spinna on Dilla....

"To all my fans all over the globe I would like to say thank you sincerely for all of your love and support over the years. I apologize for not having posted a bio or anything of the sort of myself since I started this myspace thing. I am writing this however to acknowledge a human being that significantly changed my life. James "J-Dilla" Yancey is my hero! J-Dilla's passing has saddened me to the highest degree of sadness. As a fellow beat technician and friend I totally understand and appreciate his contributions to the music world. He changed black music as we know it today. You cannot listen to the radio without hearing how he strongly influenced r&b, future soul, and hip hop. He created a whole new breed of sonics and production techniques. He was incredible on the mic, on the cuts and on the beats. He used a part of his brain that no one has ever used before. Listening to his music now brings me feelings of joy and pain. Knowing some of the records he sampled and how he put them to bed will forever floor me. I stand strong on the belief that we have lost the Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis or Marvin Gaye of this hip hop generation. Dilla's innovative energy is unmatchable. When he noticed that cats caught wind of his style he simply stayed in the lab and concocted left hooks and upper cuts with the beats on some Muhammad Ali ish. I don't know if I'll ever get over the fact that I can't call him to physically tell him how crazy he is or give him a pound. I'm composing these sentiments on a return flight home from his physical farewell in LA. I'm banging Dilla beats in my ipod with tears in my eyes. This is a hard blow to my soul. I was happy to witness so many people that have been associated with his existence on this planet. The presence of renowned artists like Busta, Badu, Common, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Phife & Ali, Amp Fiddler, ?uestlove & Black Thought, etc exemplified how significant a role Dilla had on people's careers and personal lives. You definitely felt the love. He not only was a genius but a super humble, laid back and genuine individual. The one thing that was so surreal were the two hearts that formed in the heavens by a skywriter at the burial sight during the final moments. Granted this happened on Valentine's day, but perhaps this was the creator saying welcome! It also could have been a symbol of all the love that flowed up from people's hearts at that actual moment. The timing could not have been more perfect. Man... I realize that he's not suffering anymore from illness and he's in a better place. Part of my healing process is to let people know what he meant to me and music. As debilitating as this situation is, I will try my best to keep his legacy alive. I feel like I owe it to him. My suggestion to those who are unaware of his work is to get on your job and do your research. You might be in for a shock. For those who are aware, continue to bang it out! Celebrate his life and keep his music alive. It's important that the next generation understands that J-Dilla is a pioneer. To the Yancey family and close friends, stay strong. J-Dilla, I love you brother. Help me get through this please. God Bless your soul. Spinna"

• that was beautiful...

amen, brother.

dilla left so much for us... he'll always be here.

........i don't wanna cry at work!

• Posted this in the old dilla thread but somehow it just turned into
    ?uestlove thoughts about dilla and the burial