Common Jazzfunk lps that son most raers

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Milt Jackson "sunflower"

• Milt Jackson "sunflower"

Here comes the CTI...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It

• File under: splitting hairs

I think most of these LPs are common, an LP being common doesn't mean it'll be waiting for $1.99 in every thrift, flea, and bargain bin. But anything that pops up at least once a month in dedicated record shops, ebay lists, and online sites could be easily described as common.

For instance, I've had all of the LPs described here at least twice in my shop since we opened six months ago, which I would say makes an LP pretty common. Doesn't mean it's bad, or even THAT easy to find, but not "rare".

If we're talking about records you can easily find for under $5, then yeah... many LPs here wouldn't make it.

I think you can't go wrong with anything produced by the Mizell Brothers and none should set you back more than $20-30 at most, which in this day and age is not that much for a record.

I'll give you $20 for that Eddie Russ

Not in stock currently but the last two copies I had I sold for $30. Not that hard to find. Covers are also often worn, which is why they both were priced down a bit.

Was that your helpful/productive post for the week? I'd like to go back to ignoring you.

• Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It Get Up With It

• I think most of these LPs are common, an LP being common doesn't mean it'll be waiting for $1.99 in every thrift, flea, and bargain bin.

Well, it should. Eddie Russ ain't common (unless you're going by eBay and conventions, rather than The Field), and $30 ain't cheap (unless you're a Trump or a Rockefeller).

• I think most of these LPs are common, an LP being common doesn't mean it'll be waiting for $1.99 in every thrift, flea, and bargain bin.

Well, it should. Eddie Russ ain't common (unless you're going by eBay and conventions, rather than The Field), and $30 ain't cheap (unless you're a Trump or a Rockefeller).

I've found Eddie Russ at flea markets twice in the past, say, six-eight months. Actually more than that, passed on a couple copies because I couldn't be sure of the condition. Doesn't mean it's a dollar binner but it's definitely not "rare". I pay $20-30 for records all the time, price limits = music limits.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Don't sweat it, yawl... Ramsey Lewis and Les McCann and a lot of these other records are much better and more listenable than that Eddie Russ title (as far as his others I don't know, but that record does not move me)

• Btw, I was talking about "Take A Look At Yourself", not "See The Light"

• Maybe not very common but not rare:

Pete Jolly - Seasons
    Bonfa - Jacaranda
    Cal Tjader - The P*****t
    Jon Hassell - Earthquake Island
    Sonny Stitt - Tornado
    Yusef Lateef - Detroit
    Mike Longo - The Awakening
    Stuff by Bjorn J:son Lindh and yeah, Hancock!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

file under wierdness. i don't have this record. i've never found a good copy. however, i've found multiples of every other Ramsey Lewis. i mean EVERY fucking one of them. sun goddess though. i don't really want it, but i just think it's funny.

• hey all... new to the board... big fan of herbie hancock as you can tell by the name... i'd been reading posts here a while & decided to finally sign up...

i couldn't agree more with all the ramsey lewis recommendations... especially funky serenity which is an alltime favorite. also any of the herbie hancock stuff between 1969-75 is a sure bet and readily available.

regarding CTI releases... i also have that milt jackson "sunflower"... however, mine came with misprinted inner/liner notes... the inside of the LP has the info for stanley turrentine's "salt song" instead (which is also on CTI)... anyone else have this misprint? is it all rare or worth anything? apparently CTI is pretty notorious for misprints... another CTI misprint i have is hubert laws "crying song" in which one side of the LP isn't even the right music... it's some latin (mexican sounding) spanish music... i'm guessing that there must be a few of these out there if they had the wrong plates on when they made them... i was kinda pissed 'cause the guy i bought it from on ebay (it was from a lot of records) never made any mention of it... but i guess it was cheap enough to settle for only having half the album... if anyone knows anything about these CTI misprints, please drop some knowledge.

and as far as other recommendations... not sure if it's considered funky (but in any case trippy) i love both the first eddie henderson albums "realization" and "inside out". those are both great listens and available for under $30 in most cases.

• hey all... new to the board... big fan of herbie hancock as you can tell by the name... i'd been reading posts here a while & decided to finally sign up...

i couldn't agree more with all the ramsey lewis recommendations... especially funky serenity which is an alltime favorite. also any of the herbie hancock stuff between 1969-75 is a sure bet and readily available.

regarding CTI releases... i also have that milt jackson "sunflower"... however, mine came with misprinted inner/liner notes... the inside of the LP has the info for stanley turrentine's "salt song" instead (which is also on CTI)... anyone else have this misprint? is it all rare or worth anything? apparently CTI is pretty notorious for misprints... another CTI misprint i have is hubert laws "crying song" in which one side of the LP isn't even the right music... it's some latin (mexican sounding) spanish music... i'm guessing that there must be a few of these out there if they had the wrong plates on when they made them... i was kinda pissed 'cause the guy i bought it from on ebay (it was from a lot of records) never made any mention of it... but i guess it was cheap enough to settle for only having half the album... if anyone knows anything about these CTI misprints, please drop some knowledge.

and as far as other recommendations... not sure if it's considered funky (but in any case trippy) i love both the first eddie henderson albums "realization" and "inside out". those are both great listens and available for under $30 in most cases.

To me, a common LP is seen 1 of 5 trips [to your spot].

• To me, a common LP is seen 1 of 5 trips [to your spot].

That means that, in Austin, every good record ever is that

To me, a common LP is seen 1 of 5 trips [to your spot].

Correction:

To me, a common LP is seen 1 of every 5 trips [to your spot].

• To me, a common LP is seen 1 of 5 trips [to your spot].

Correction:

To me, a common LP is seen 1 of every 5 trips [to your spot].

Naw, I got what you mean.....was more making a point about the scarcity of good records 'round here, but even that was slightly facetious. Carry on, nothing to see in a GP post.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    File under: splitting hairs

I think most of these LPs are common, an LP being common doesn't mean it'll be waiting for $1.99 in every thrift, flea, and bargain bin. But anything that pops up at least once a month in dedicated record shops, ebay lists, and online sites could be easily described as common.

For instance, I've had all of the LPs described here at least twice in my shop since we opened six months ago, which I would say makes an LP pretty common. Doesn't mean it's bad, or even THAT easy to find, but not "rare".

If we're talking about records you can easily find for under $5, then yeah... many LPs here wouldn't make it.

I think you can't go wrong with anything produced by the Mizell Brothers and none should set you back more than $20-30 at most, which in this day and age is not that much for a record.

I'll give you $20 for that Eddie Russ

Not in stock currently but the last two copies I had I sold for $30. Not that hard to find. Covers are also often worn, which is why they both were priced down a bit.

Was that your helpful/productive post for the week? I'd like to go back to ignoring you.

I'm hurt, I made your ignore list. I thought we had something going...something postiive, something nice.

My pussy is sorer now than ever.

But yes Eddie Russ is not all that common out in Los Angeles. I've only seen one copy "in the field" and it was $35 and cracked all the way through.

• Nate

If Gary Bartz record's are common plaese to send

to Kingsley Most, Los Burbos, Califas.

• FREE SOUL by john klemmer

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Milt Jackson "sunflower"

Here comes the CTI...

copped this one at my local shop.

and this one!

don't have the other Blackbyrds but i like this one as well:

• does your copy of SUNFLOWER have the misprint i was mentioning earlier?... i'm curious.

and while on the CTI tip... can't forget those first 4 Bob James albums... as outplayed as they are... there's a reason.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    though leaning more towards spiritual/free, can't forget about this one:

• I'm sorry but this record doesn't son most of anything.

I HATE the song Street life. I was glad to get decent dough for a wlp 12" though. God I hate that song.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, call me a hatter, but I have raer to son a lot the records in this thread.

STEP UP GAME!

• Jimmy Owens S/T

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Junior Mance - A Little Help from My Friends