CD Pressing - Small #'s (less than 1500) - Advice?

MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Hi, I did some searches, but I can't stand the 1 minute (or whatever it is) delay between searches in this forum. I'm sure someone has spoke on this topic before. I'm trying to press maybe 1,000 CD's and like everyone else on this planet I want something cheap but good. I need something basic with a cover and disc. I assume jewel case is cheapest, but maybe sleeve (cardboard/printed) is cheaper. Digipack is nice, but I'm sure the cost is more than what I need. I'd like a spot in the US to avoid customs/duty charges. If there is a decent savings, I'll run it in Canada. I'm not mad at the rest of the world, but I'm trying to avoid shipping charges as well. I'm also open to the idea of pressing 1000 cd's, and only 500 covers and then putting them together myself if that's a way to reduce costs (500 of the 1000 cd's are for promo), or even using two companies to cut costs. I'm seeing the costs ending up somewhere around $1.31 or so a disc ($1.35 for arguments sake), so I was wondering if anyone knew of a little mom/pop shop before I pull the trigger.Thanks

Comments

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    My crew and I do Digipak only because we have the thermal labels for the CD's and the color laser for the pak's themselves. Our cost ends up being around $1.30 per and that includes the skrinkwrap as well. I haven't priced out duplication services in quite a while.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    discmakers is a bit more expensive than your goal, but they do digipacks and will hook you with 500 posters for an order of 1000 or more.. and you can hook a discount if your with ASCAP.

Oh yeah, any uncleared samples? For some reason, some friends of mine were trying to press their cd's and a lot wouldn't duplicate due to uncleared samples.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Samples not being cleared = no press? WTF?

Alright then... I actually have laser printers, so maybe I can do my own. How much and where did you get your blank digipacks from?

Lemme get back to you on that.....one of my friends orders all that.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    How much and where did you get your blank digipacks from?

i would also be interested in this knowledge.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Hi,

I did some searches, but I can't stand the 1 minute (or whatever it is) delay between searches in this forum. I'm sure someone has spoke on this topic before.

I'm trying to press maybe 1,000 CD's and like everyone else on this planet I want something cheap but good. I need something basic with a cover and disc. I assume jewel case is cheapest, but maybe sleeve (cardboard/printed) is cheaper. Digipack is nice, but I'm sure the cost is more than what I need.

I'd like a spot in the US to avoid customs/duty charges. If there is a decent savings, I'll run it in Canada. I'm not mad at the rest of the world, but I'm trying to avoid shipping charges as well.

I'm also open to the idea of pressing 1000 cd's, and only 500 covers and then putting them together myself if that's a way to reduce costs (500 of the 1000 cd's are for promo), or even using two companies to cut costs.

I'm seeing the costs ending up somewhere around $1.31 or so a disc ($1.35 for arguments sake), so I was wondering if anyone knew of a little mom/pop shop before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Hey, I run a CD/DVD/12" Vinyl pressing house. We're called SAMO media and we're based in Toronto (www.samomedia.com or www.myspace.com/samomedia). Maybe I can help you out?

In terms of what's the most cost-effective, I recommend going the jewelbox with insert/traycard route. It's the cheapest because these things get run so often that the plants have an easy time ganging up all the printing, reducing their set up costs. So on the flipside, digipaks are more expensive per unit because they are run less often. And furthermore, if you go nuts and want recycled stock digipaks with die cuts, then you're looking at pricier territory because they have to run it on an individual press. So you can use this system as a measure for basic pricing...

Email me or call for more info and pricing...416.425.6631. We're an indie shop staffed by all dudes in bands, so we know how to treat people.

To name a few people we've worked with...Propagandhi, No Dynamics, RA The Rugged Man, Diverse, Braintax, Japanther, The Constantines, Kardinal Offishal, etc etc...

Hope this info helps.
    paul

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Not exactly a website or person to refer but here's what I did. I'm here in California and just emailed and called places that did cd-duplication locally and found a guy who mainly does video conversion (vhs to dvd) and some other video services. But he also dup'd cds. Shit was really cheap $0.90 and quality came out cool. I only purchased 500 copies and I remember a lot of places had minimums. I also had a friend who worked at a print shop so I had the tray cards printed there. Bought the jewel cases at a mom&pop computer supply store and spent way less than what most pressing companies charged. A little extra work but I thought everything came out good and was worth it...

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    To give an idea on pricing, a typical basic package through SAMO would be $1129 Canadian (about $980 US) for:

500 2 colour CDs with 2 Panel Inserts (opens up like a birthday card) and Traycards, both 4+1 (meaning full colour outside/black and white inside).

We do a lot of volume so we get cheap shipping rates too.

Don't mean to be plugging away here, just thought the info might be useful.

a! a!
    paul

• i had some promo cd's made 3 years ago at this place in toronto...

www.effectuality.ca

they have both a u.s and canadian office.
    i don't know if their prices are competitive or not, but they have lots of options.

you can also do it all online.

hope that helps.

>>

annone ever try those lightscribe burners / cd's?

Left a message for my boy....should know tonight and get back to you tonight/tomorrow AM.

• All right I just did the research myself for my project I mean my friends project... Okay the cheapest ive seen is 99 cents ea. includes cardboard sleeve with art work and sealed... They will get you on the shipping fo sho...

Or do what I did Order the 1to7 tower burner etc... actually I have to get backs to work hit me with a PM with your # and I'll call you...

He apparently gets it specially cut from Kelly Paper. It has to be cut a certain way and then you have to have a printer that does wide format for the length.

• Oh yeah, any uncleared samples? For some reason, some friends of mine were trying to press their cd's and a lot wouldn't duplicate due to uncleared samples.

Yes I heard about that the larger companies make you fill out some lame forms and ish.... Hey which kelly paper does your boy work at?

He doesn't.....he just gets the paper there.

• I may have to look into this too, as I'm wanting to release a few things outside of what the label is going to do for me.

I can tell you who to avoid. PM me if you want to know. I had some major troubles concerning making a payment and not getting my CD's in time, which ended up fucking up my release schedule. Granted, it was my own release schedule, but I had promoted it in a manner where it would lead up to the release. Come to find out that the guy cashed my check, and didn't bother doing the task because he waited around for more money from others. What that had to do with my order, I don't know.

• http://www.noiseland.com
    in Minneapolis