Sunday Afternoon Jam Session!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Hey Fellas,

This afternoon I had a really enjoyable Sunday afternoon jam session in the crib. It has been a while since I've done it. I was bored sittin' around the house. I just kept the records spinning and got up started groovin'. I played for myself sort of a "grown folks music" session. Here is the tracklist (as best as I can remember):

1. "Queen of My Soul"-Average White Band.
2. "Let Love Enter"-Michael Henderson.
3. "Treat Me Like a Man"-Michael Henderson.
4. "Lowdown"-Boz Scaggs.
5. "Too Tight"-ConFunkshun.
6. "Handcuffs"-Parliament.
7. "Tear the Roof of the Sucker"-Parliament.
8. "Is this Love That We're Missing"-Quincy Jones.
9. "If I Ever Lose this Heaven"-Quincy Jones.
10. "Love's Holiday"-Earth, Wind, and Fire.
11. "Voyage to Atlantis"-The Isley Brothers.
12. "St. Elmo's Fire"-Michael Franks.
13. "Edith and the Kingpin"-Joni Mitchell.
14. "Babylon Sisters"-Steely Dan.
15. "Good Morning"-Wilbert Longmire.
16. "Sleeping Beauty"-S.O.U.L.
17. "I am Happy"-Victor Feldman.
18. "Young, Willing, and Able"-Minnie Riperton.
19. "Inside Out"-Odyssey.
20. "Ain't Nobody"-Chaka Khan.
21. "Screams of Passion"-The Family.
22. "I Got to Move"-James Brown (how this one fit in to close, I don't know).

I don't know what made me pull these. I was in a "blah" mood, so I played these for a pick-me-up. What did you guys listen to today?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• HankScorpioHankScorpio 163 Posts
    Hey Big Stacks,

I didn't listen to nearly as much, but here's my list:

Diamond - Hatred, Passion & Infidelity - I finally got this and while it's no Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop I'm happy to finally be able to give it a spin.
    Milt Jackson - Memories of Thelonious Sphere Monk - I like the version Straight, No Chaser on this.
    Urbie Green - Senor Blues
    Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Wanted Dead or Alive - I love that 'Money in the Bank' track.
    And currently listening to Chet Baker - The Most Important Jazz Album of 1964/1965.

...and if I don't fall asleep, I want to give a listen to John Coltrane: Coltrane Jazz.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

"Lowdown"-Boz Scaggs.

I heard this one tonight at work.

I really like those Minnie Riperton, Odyssey, and Chaka Khan joints.

Currently listening to the Beeb's "The Basement" on 1Xtra.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I didn't have time to listent to much this afternoon, but I'm listening to Joni Mitchell's 'Edith and the Kingpin' right now. For some reason, I've had that song on constant rotation in the last three weeks. Joe Sample kills it.

For my daily freakout, I listened to the Archie Shepp and Philly Joe Jones' record on Fantasy. Amazing shit. It got me pacing around and smoking a cigarette in no time.

• I was at a record store today and they were playing just the most horrible "free jazz" known to the human ear...shit sounded like construction work and and a vist to the dentist office all at once. Then I took mom out for dinner and they were playing some latin disco songs, one of which I instantly recognized as a Charo tune! yep, that CHARO.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ha..that reminds me..I got this latin disco record on thursday. Its some band doing shit like "good times" in spanish. so bad...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Didn't have much of a chance to listen to music today. But my hommie and I picked up a optigan keyboard from 1970 that he bought of the bay. So we've been jammin on that for awhile. Its a keyboard that takes these floppy disc records and you can play autochords and whatnot. You can flip the floppys over and the loops play backwards. The shit even has drumbreaks, fun stuff. It came with 7 floppy records. Anybody else ever messed around with one of these things?

• I don't remember the order anymore but i know i was feeling real good having the place to myself and sitting by the window looking at the world a few flats higher than the second floor...

1. ELECTRIC PRUNES release of an oath with the beautifun hand wave image
    2. The Jimi Hendrix - Castles in the Sand, Bold as Love (classics)
    3. Lee Michaels
    4. Def Leppard -Pyromania
    5. Fever Tree Creation (Uni)
    6. San Francisco - Cold Blood
    7. Bill Cosby - Disco Bill (more than twice)
    8. Pelican - Uppteknir
    9. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here...
    10. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    11. Living Proof - Fitness is Ageless (A Musical Fitness Program Developed By Lawrence Frankel One of America's Foremost Authorities On Fitness After 50) For the "New Generation" of Middle Aged And Older Americans (50 years and older) To Slow Down Aging-Tone Muscles-Strengthen Heart & Lungs
    12. SUPER SESSION - Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills
    13. Diaper Gym - By Playful Parenting...Fun Activities for Babies on the Move

and then my roomate came home and was very very very concerned.

[color:tan] sundays are better than mondays though [/color]

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Have you seen the Looney Tunes where Daffy Duck does Charo? Sooooo funny......