Favorite Jay Dee production.

124»

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Its on this dope looking twelve inch with the instrumental on the flip

• ^^^ Oh man. I forgot about that one. I'll have a dig around & rip it from my vinyl.

Yay, finally some love on SS for 'backpacker rap'... ha ha ha...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Damn that shit is kinda old. .

• I was deeply saddened by the news of J Dilla passing. Though i've considered myself a a fan of his work, it's crazy how many tracks i'm just now discovering he produced after looking deeper into his discography.

Over the past few weeks i've had Steve Spacek's Dollar on constant rotation. Probably my favorite Jay Dee production. Truly on some next level shit.

The whole Donuts album is mindblowing too.

RIP Jay Dee

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    man.

i think all my favs have been listed. i too am really blown away at his credits. seeing all these bangers in one list is truly

the best ones always have to leave us first. at least he left us with a huge body of work.

RIP

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    runnin
    fuck the police

I haven't said anything about this yet. Jay dee was much more to me then his best track. His consistency of quality music, carrying a torch for real hip hop, and a my way work sensibility. In my opinion, makes him one of the greatest underappreciated hip hop producers of all time. It's tragic to lose a talented brother like him so young. I hope you all will keep his memory with you in the coming years as his style has always and always will be imitated. That's all I gotta say for now..

- spidey

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    it's at the 25:50 mark on this set.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDD DAAAAAAAAMMMMMNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

on my 3rd rewind !!

Hahhaha, hell yeah, that sh*t is hourd as FUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Someone uploaded a copy of a Das Efx remix of "Microphone Masters" as a Dilla production but I thought this was a DJ Spinna remix?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Someone uploaded a copy of a Das Efx remix of "Microphone Masters" as a Dilla production but I thought this was a DJ Spinna remix?
    It is a Spinna remix.

Dilla aside, that is one of my favorite remixes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It is a Spinna remix.

Dilla aside, that is one of my favorite remixes.

Agreed - shit is one of the best of Spinna's works from that era.

• "Reckless Driving"
    "Let's Grow"
    "Don't Nobody Care About Us"
    "Welcome To Detroit"
    "B.B.E."
    "One"
    "Make Em NV"
    "Players"
    "Fall In Love" & remix
    Busta "Show Me What You Got"
    Badu "Didn't You Know"
    "Don't Cry"

On and on and on...

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    Too many good tracks to mention here's a couple not listed yet
    Lucy Pearl "Without you"
    Que D "Supashit"

I know it's already been listed quite a few time but...
    Spacek "eve" rmx is one with THAT special feeling...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I can't say that I was a huge fan but I really liked "The Red" and "Starz" from Jaylib.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    As a Detroit cat, it warms my heart that people from other parts of the world appreciated his work as much as we do in Motown.

Man, I'm mad I missed our Donuts celebration. I'm going to our weekly Detroit hip-hop affair this coming week, held by one of Dilla's close friends. That shit is going to be a heavy experience.

My faves are:
    "Stakes Is High"
    "Let's Ride"
    "The Questions"
    "You Know What Love Is"
    "I Don't Know"
    "Something That Means Something"

Songs like "Rock Da Spot" opened my eyes to how creative this cat was. I mean, the sample was quite recognizable, but the way he flipped it was so unique to me on Vol. 1.