I respect all you eBay hustlaz

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Corresponding with all of these people, packaging all this shit, and then taking it to the post office FUCKING SUCKS. How do you guys find the time to do all of this shit?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It helps to have a lifestyle free of obligations.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It helps to have a lifestyle free of obligations.

Priceless.

• Options
    Gettin paid/spending is hot.

K.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Shit is very time consuming. It helps to have a system down. I'm lucky because I live and work across from the Post Office and have no social life... otherwise eBay is for the birdz.

• Worst is when buyers don't pay. I'm sitting on a $700 sale (not records) and dude isn't paying or emailing me back. I thought I'd get paid for sure given that the buyer has over 5000 feedbacks with no negatives for the past 12 months.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Shit is very time consuming. It helps to have a system down. I'm lucky because I live and work across from the Post Office and have no social life... otherwise eBay is for the birdz.

Iknow you have referenced to this earlier RAJ, (you would buy from random sellers) but I have a few records I think would do good on ebay and I need the $$ to finance a humanitarian trip however would anyone consider buying from a seller with no feedback.

What would you guys recommend for someone trying to start on the ebay game
    go through other sellers?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Iknow you have referenced to this earlier RAJ, (you would buy from random sellers) but I have a few records I think would do good on ebay and I need the $$ to finance a humanitarian trip however would anyone consider buying from a seller with no feedback.

What would you guys recommend for someone trying to start on the ebay game
    go through other sellers?

If you have time/patience/goods you should build up your rep/feedback by selling lesser items ($10-30) first

• Options
    Yeah, nothing more enjoyable than packing up $10 records all day..then paying paypal ...and Ebay...and the post office...and the Roti joint for food cus' you hungry...

K.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    With student loans coming down the pipeline starting next month, I'm trying to eBay at least 10 records a month - just to use as record money. Having that to play around with is totally worth the effort.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah, nothing more enjoyable than packing up $10 records all day..then paying paypal ...and Ebay...and the post office...and the Roti joint for food cus' you hungry...

Hey, I didn't say it was enjoyable... but could well be worth it in the long run if you're trying to get proper money out of rarer joints... plus if you paid a dollar or less for those $10 records you can still come out nicely...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

K.

sounds like my current schedule, K
    sans Roti joint

-M in America

• Options

Hey, I didn't say it was enjoyable... but could well be worth it in the long run if you're trying to get proper money out of rarer joints... plus if you paid a dollar or less for those $10 records you can still come out nicely...

You're better off pading the stats with penny CD's (from different sllers, of course). People aren't going to sail through all your feedback.

What about a set sale on here? Raj has nice rates for the sales section if he doesn;t mind me saying.

K in Caanda.

P.S. Mark, if you ever make it up here I got the food.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

What about a set sale on here? Raj has nice rates for the sales section if he doesn;t mind me saying.

K in Caanda.

Thanks for all the advice guys.Id rather keep my 10-30$ for trade and ebay looks like a hassle. I was considering the set sale and think I will go with it.

Rotie is the shit. Youre caribean all the way eh!

$10-30 records do quite well in set sales here.

• Options
    If you need help with pricing, there's a froum of experts here - most of whom are happy to answer PM's from the sister/brotherhood.

Kevin.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Thanks for the support people.

Crink that story is on its way soon (fucking school)
    Soulfrier (ill hit you with some dominican/african stuff) when are you heading dow for the GOODS (scott C related)

• Options
    Between now and April. Trying to align it with hangin out with Rob (Silvertone), playing a night with Mossman, and then Scott and Andy OF course. That and a little dealer/record scour would suit me fine.

K.

• Corresponding with all of these people, packaging all this shit, and then taking it to the post office FUCKING SUCKS. How do you guys find the time to do all of this shit?

I agree. The Trini/Soul/Reggae collection I recently sold soufriere1 would have been worth hundreds more if I had pieced it on eBay, but I can't stand that shit.

I have no problems selling records that are worth $200 and over on the 'bay, but otherwise I can't take it.

You've got to clean them, take photos of them, list them, answer stupid questions, then IF it sells, wrap it and post it.

Trades I'm down with, though!

• Options
    Mucho appreciated! There's not many collections I buy where I keep 10-15 45's and 6 LP's - shit, that's 3 years of looking everyday on eBay. I'll take that punishment anyday.

K.

• Mucho appreciated! There's not many collections I buy where I keep 10-15 45's and 6 LP's - shit, that's 3 years of looking everyday on eBay.

K.

I'm happy that it went to a good home!

Keeping an eye out for you,

Peter

• Selling on ebay is cool for play money, but making a living $7 auction at a time is rough. Unless you can get the big collections and top dollar on ebay, which takes time.

Overseas is the worst for paperwork..... customs form + proof of mailing (to use against paypal chargebacks... only $.90, worth it, just pass the cost off to the sellers).

Oh and this is fun too. You'll forget about the ebay fees (oh yeah!) and then when you go to mail the records you'll realize you spent all your paypal $ (whoops) and you're dipping into your wallet.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    oh dear.

i must tell the story at some point but not now of the pet-pig weirdo i met in mississippi who sells "bulk" on ebay, has no interest in between the grooves i.e. music, and bragged of being featured in an interview in an upcoming issue of Goldmine magainze. WOO HOO!

i hate ebay.

i hate records too.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    i hate records too.

you hate records?

me too.

still, gotta get these records.

sounds like a plan, I'll see if I can fit Canada into the schedule this summer...

peace

i hate ebay.

i hate records too.

word 'em up
    didn't you say you were gonna take another 2 week trip though this year?

• oh dear.

i must tell the story at some point but not now of the pet-pig weirdo i met in mississippi who sells "bulk" on ebay, has no interest in between the grooves i.e. music, and bragged of being featured in an interview in an upcoming issue of Goldmine magainze. WOO HOO!

i hate ebay.

i hate records too.

Let me guess - 'lotsofrecords'?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    When I was sellin' out in Japan. I had no life for 6 months. I would walk in the door and just get to it. I had different days to do everything. One day to take pics, one day to describe records, One day to list, One day to clean, etc. then I would pack every night and dig every day for stock -- before my 5-9pm gig at the school... everyday I would hit up the record store and buy 10 x record mailers and carry them to work, then back home (it was the only way I could get them) on a 45 minute train transit (HELL). I wouldn't sleep. I had to e-mail back people, post up ads. My days off were spent diggin'... any spare time I had was spent diggin'

I got stock here in Australia, like crate-loads of Japanese stuff/hip-hop, but just thinking about doing that all again gets me depressed... I'ma do it in the next couple of weeks though

peace.

yeah, selling records to actually make enough to live is a grind and a half. People think it's all glamour, and chicks, and exotic molds - but NO SIR! It is thankless.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I like selling private folk/country turd lots and Papaya dookie overseas and then turning around and buying grails of mine.