CHOCO The New Harlem Sound appreciation

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I know some people can't stand this record - my gf for one - but i can't help loving it. Many of you will disagree, but I honestly think "My Little Donkey" & "I Hope It Rains Coffee" are some genius hip hop music right there. I guess the "You'll Like It Too"-break combined with a Spanish children's song equals genius to me then. I almost find it hard to believe it was produced in 1986, before "I Know You Got Soul".Thanks to last year's reissue the demand in Japan seems to have disappeared and the originals go for reasonable amounts again. The reissue is still available as well.

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    When I played that song out I got a good reaction. The funny thing was the reaction was from the Latino's from the kitchen and the bus boys. I looked up from the decks and notice the restaurant staff lurking by the tables. Nobody's tables were getting cleared during that song. When I was in Miami in december I was driving thru town and looking for a radio station. Next thing you know Choco comes on. It made my day. My daughter was feeling it as well. Big ups to Choco.

• When I was in Miami in december I was driving thru town and looking for a radio station. Next thing you know Choco comes on. It made my day. My daughter was feeling it as well. Big ups to Choco.

that's crazy man.. and it was choco, not the spanish song it samples right?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Yea it was Choco.. I couldn't believe it... It was some Spanish station. They were kickin it old school. I'm like "hey baby I can't believe they are playing that Choco record" My wife is like .."who?"

• that reminded me:
    last fall i'm driving to new york from philly around noon. when i'm getting closer i tune for hot97, mr c's throwback hour is on. the first song i hear is non other than dismasters "small time hustler". needless to say i was blaaasting it loud in my rental impala.