REACTION! Weekender pix from Marco's trip to NYC

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Just got back from a great trip to NYC this weekend. I only saw SoulStrutters Jonny Paycheck and Lewis (or at least those are the only ones I can remember so far) but I had a blast at the REACTION! 60s weekender. Not only were the parties completely off the hook and the DJs amazing, but the Saturday afternoon record swap was incredibly fun (not to mention populated with more good-looking girls than any record show EVAR) and both The Dansettes and the one and only MIGHTY HANNIBAL blew the doors off the joint on Saturday night.Here's a few photo galleries: EAST COAST MOD SCENE ARCHIVE PIX (you may need to be a member of that Yahoo group to view) LADY DAWN'S PIX MARCO'S PIX I didn't spin at this event so no setlists, but I'll try and post a list of record scores later. In the meantime, some highlights:Cassandra, proprieter Jonny Paycheck & Midnite Cowbwoy at Good Records NYC on Friday afternoon. Though the laptop is close at hand, this picture is notable for having recorded the sole instance that Jonny was not posting on the Soulstrut.com "secrets of crate digging revealed" board while manning the Good Records NYC counter."STEP OFF BITCH!"b/wJonny (Good Records NYC) spent hours picking up daggers in the aftermath of the now-legendary Shing-A-Ling vs. Bossy Boots stare-off at Good Records NYC Friday afternoon.Crowd at the Beauty BarMarco and Reaction co-organizer Layla Peppermintwist making a drunk call to Cosmo to question his grant application status.Girls at the Beauty BarMarco and the girls he brought to Southpaw for Cosmo & Ayre's THE RUB party... AFTER the 1am guest list deadline. Oops. Oh well, back across the bridge to Delancey Lounge and the $9 mixed drinks. Who says conceptual art gogo dancers don't have fun?Saturday afternoon record swap.Cowbwoy, Marco, Nina (top L.A. reggae DJ) and Miss Shing-A-Ling at the record swap. Be honest - when was the last time you saw more than 2 girls in a record show photo posted on Soulstrut?And now the weekend's finds:

Comments

• Paul Weller?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The real question is if Ms. Shingaling smoked a blunt, drank a 40, and got laid!?!??!!

REAL HEADZ WOULD LIKE TO KNOW!

• HAHAHA!!, you got my Chinese record -- the one with the girl. Who'd you get it from, Paycheck? How much did that wag charge you for it?

• The real answer is Miss Shingaling smoked a blunt from a Puerto Rican gangster in Lexus on the way from the airport, drank several Pilsners with Marco at the Record Swap, and was supposed to go to a superbowl party at the home of another (infrequent) SoulStrutter on Sunday. Any more than that is strictly

The real answer is Miss Shingaling smoked a blunt from a Puerto Rican gangster in Lexus on the way from the airport, drank several Pilsners with Marco at the Record Swap, and was supposed to go to a superbowl party at the home of another (infrequent) SoulStrutter on Sunday. Any more than that is strictly

WOW!

Looks/sounds like y'all had a blast. Nice to see headz gettin' down on the weekender steelo. No ayo.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

a run down on NYC's vegan eateries would have been good tho

• HAHAHA!!, you got my Chinese record -- the one with the girl. Who'd you get it from, Paycheck? How much did that wag charge you for it?

FIFTEEN M*THERF*CKING DOLLARS. "HAS A BREAK." SON. GIVE ME A BREAK! YOU SEE HOW MANY CUSTOMERS I BROUGHT HIM THAT DAY? SAYIN.

But nah really, I was happy to pay $15 for that one. The funky cut is actually a cover of a Theresa Teng song, except the Lisa Wong version is fuzzier and less disco. Teng's vocals are better but I couldn't pass this one up. Believe me I got no worries about Good Records' pricing - JP definitely hooked me up proper on a massive transaction the week before. And true to form, he wouldn't let me forget it.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Paul Weller?

+ Mick Talbot on his left...

FIFTEEN M*THERF*CKING DOLLARS. "HAS A BREAK." SON. GIVE ME A BREAK! YOU SEE HOW MANY CUSTOMERS I BROUGHT HIM THAT DAY? SAYIN.

But nah really, I was happy to pay $15 for that one. The funky cut is actually a cover of a Theresa Teng song, except the Lisa Wong version is fuzzier and less disco. Teng's vocals are better but I couldn't pass this one up. Believe me I got no worries about Good Records' pricing - JP definitely hooked me up proper on a massive transaction the week before. And true to form, he wouldn't let me forget it.

nice to see thats in good hands. Paycheck's store is one of my favorite's in the world and his pricing is on point and very fair. Was just curious to see if that multi-faced monster charged 100 or something.

• a run down on NYC's vegan eateries would have been good tho

DUDE. DUDE. DUDE.

I was staying with that blonde chick in the 6th photo (no ayo - we're longtime friends and her boyfriend was my best man) and she lived right above this vegan place called KATE'S JOINT, just a block away from Good Records. Our posse (who were not all vegetarian) went there no less than three times that weekend and loved it each time. The menu goes on for days, with anything you can think of. Personally, their shephard's pie is UNFADEABLE, as is their brunch special which includes a killer entree (I got tofu scramble Benedict I believe), juice, and your choice of mimosa, bloody mary, beer or wine for $10. Just the ticket when you were out drinking past 4am the night before.

MOUSTACHE middle eastern restaurant had great pita & falafel.
    ROYAL BANGLADESH on 1st Ave was the aforementioned budget Indian food wonder.
    ODESSA may not have tons of vegetarian options, but the pierogies were the perfect latenight treat. I was too wasted to care if they were vegan, cut me some slack!

And we also went to a killer Korean place, likely on West 32nd St. but I need to look up the exact name as that's right in a section with Korean spots every 10 feet. I couldn't believe it but I was able to get some great vegan food there.

NYC food is

NYC food is

indeed, I can't wait to go back
    for the records
    and the food
    and the strutter hospitality, for realz

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    but the Saturday afternoon record swap was incredibly fun (not to mention populated with more good-looking girls than any record show EVAR)

but the Saturday afternoon record swap was incredibly fun (not to mention populated with more good-looking girls than any record show EVAR)

this can not be over stated

mini skirts & fishnet stockings to the max

too f'n much fun

• this picture is notable for having recorded the sole instance that Jonny was not posting on the Soulstrut.com "secrets of crate digging revealed" board while manning the Good Records NYC counter.

Not true, I was... erm... managing my database....

Good to meet you all and a very generous thank you for the business. Next time in North Carolina!

• Wow, looks like a great time. I couldn't make it to the swap, forgot my kid was having a party at the house that afternoon, and I had to stay to protect my records from pink lemonade and cheesy puff fingers. Too bad, I wanted to meet this man named Marco who mixes reggaeton and gogo while polishing off lagers in retro suits, all under the alias of Jacques DuCrunk no less, interesting indeed.

I've been meaning to ask you about the Los Betas record you posted a few weeks ago, but you're over your pm limit. So yeah, whats de deal? Also, yes to Sylvie Vartan, sweet French Canadian pop!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Sandra Bullock?