Meat Beat Manifesto

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dangers withheld his own rapping for all but one song. And you know what? It was great. No pretense, no trying to pretend that he's black or tough or rich, just Dangers being Dangers.

Many here should at least attempt to follow such a lead.

"Being Dangers"?

Being D*n*el.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dangers withheld his own rapping for all but one song. And you know what? It was great. No pretense, no trying to pretend that he's black or tough or rich, just Dangers being Dangers.

"Being Dangers"?

Being D*n*el.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    no trying to pretend that he's black, just young shiezy being shiezy.

young shiezy

• Dangers doubters should revisit "Satyricon" from the early 1990s, that was a hot album... I saw MBM perform live in Pittsburgh, opening for 808 State, it was one hell of a show. MBM's drummer was on fire that night playing crazy breakbeats in perfect time... loudest show I'd ever been to too. I haven't listened much to Dangers stuff since Satyricon, but that remains one of my favorite albums ever.

no trying to pretend that he's black, just young shiezy being shiezy.

Yes, this gives you the right to act like an ass for the rest of your life.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    not at all. i'm saying, give the young dudes a break. You're casting stones, but you were guilty of the same shit.

you were young once, have you forgotten how to dreeeeeaaam?

that's all that was intended by that R*b**t.

• I AM A ZOMBIE!

Granted, I used a pen name for a few years that might have misled/offended some.

But, noone has ever been able to accuse me of trying to act like anyone but my own self.

I don't sit here and make fun of metalheads, hippies, shoegazers, ravers, etc. solely because they seemingly don't fit within a misguided conception of what's commonly accepted by a black rap audience.

I'm reminded of a black friend of mine from LA who literally put a white girl he was dating out of his car when she acted shocked that he too liked Nirvana.

I can accept someone just not liking Meat Beat Manifesto for whatever reason. But the way that such objections get framed on this board, within this the-scene-I'm-trying-way-too-hard-to-be-down-with-necessitates-that-I-clown-all-other-scenes shroud of constant negativity simply bugs the fuck out of me.

Not so much because one isolated dude says so. But because once he does, 10 other dudes are chomping at the bit to follow that lead.

It's a fratboy mentality and it deserves to be capped on.

But, noone has ever been able to accuse me of trying to act like anyone but my own self.[/b]

• you two are ridiculous. In a bad way.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

But, noone has ever been able to accuse me of trying to act like anyone but my own self.[/b]

Don't test my gangsta....

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    I went to the show in Austin last night also. You are right about the bass, it was heavy and Lynn Farmers drumming was on point. The whole set was a nice anthology of their music.

I really don't understand all of the hate towards MBM. Who cares what artists have been influenced by them or not. Jack Dangers' drum programming is really good. All of the tracks have so many layers of production that you'll hear something new everytime you listen to it. I do think the sound has stagnated some as the years have gone on but he has definitely been a pioneer pushing breakbeats to their limits.