Meat Beat Manifesto

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Strange how marginal industrial/electronic music is here in the US, which seems to result in a major player such as Jack Dangers being relegated to obscurity. Some say he did the first jungle track in '90: Radio Babylon.Some say he did the first trip-hop track in '91: Paradise Now.I say he's got early tracks off of Armed Audio Warfare and 99% that should have eraned him some props from hip-hop circles. What say you?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Strange how marginal industrial/electronic music is here in the US, which seems to result in a major player such as Jack Dangers being relegated to obscurity.

Some say he did the first jungle track in '90: Radio Babylon.

Some say he did the first trip-hop track in '91: Paradise Now.

I say he's got early tracks off of Armed Audio Warfare and 99% that should have eraned him some props from hip-hop circles.

What say you?

straight trash

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I say Radio Babylon is most after that

But no way is it the first DnB tune. Then you'd have to say Dynamix II is "proto-jungle"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I say Radio Babylon is most after that

But no way is it the first DnB tune. Then you'd have to say Dynamix II is "proto-jungle"

Dynamix II as proto-jungle?

Why not 2 Live Crew or DJ Magic Mike then?

I love me some Dynamix II, but I've never really thought of them as anything remotely related to jungle/DnB.

• I really dig "Storm The Studio" / "God O.D." era.

They totally broke new ground with that stuff

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Strange how marginal industrial/electronic music is here in the US, which seems to result in a major player such as Jack Dangers being relegated to obscurity.

I say he's got early tracks off of Armed Audio Warfare and 99% that should have eraned him some props from hip-hop circles.

well that's an interesting predicament.. but frankly dude had his hands involved in alot of really dated stuff that hasnt aged at all well... industrial turned into a sad parody of itself very very quickly and basically paved the road for your nu metal linkin parks the world over. ie bad beats and worse guitars. with too much screaming.

then to have your hand in the first jungle and the first trip hop is just more of the same.

all three of these genres fizzled and died a long time ago so why should any body care that dude was a "major player"

gerry and the pacemakers were major players in the mersey beat sound but it doesnt mean anybody gives two shits about em now.

well that's an interesting predicament.. but frankly dude had his hands involved in alot of really dated stuff that hasnt aged at all well... industrial turned into a sad parody of itself very very quickly and basically paved the road for your nu metal linkin parks the world over. ie bad beats and worse guitars. with too much screaming.

then to have your hand in the first jungle and the first trip hop is just more of the same.

all three of these genres fizzled and died a long time ago so why should any body care that dude was a "major player"

gerry and the pacemakers were major players in the mersey beat sound but it doesnt mean anybody gives two shits about em now.

It's not like Jack Dangers has disappeared. He's still doing Meat Beat albums, still doing Tino Breaks albums, still touring. Folks apparently would rather get their panties in a wad over newish dudes like Prefuse 73 or RJD2 than as you said "give two shits about" the guy who made their career's possible. I imagine that Josh would be quick to honor his precedent though.

• Strange how marginal industrial/electronic music is here in the US, which seems to result in a major player such as Jack Dangers being relegated to obscurity.

What say you?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy 99% when it came out...but yeah, breakbeat industrial didn't age gracefully--and I think MBM albums like 99% or Satyricon (or whatever it was called) kind of existed in the realm of Consolidated/noisy MC 900 Foot Jesus obscurity/mediocrity.

Now what I *really* don't want to start talking about on here is PWEI or The Shamen.

Folks apparently would rather get their panties in a wad over newish dudes like Prefuse 73 or RJD2 than as you said "give two shits about" the guy who made their career's possible. I imagine that Josh would be quick to honor his precedent though.

How did he "make their careers possible"? I doubt that most people who are into those artists have ever been MBM fans....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man, I'd rather talk about A Guy Called Gerald and his contributions over Jack. Never been much of a fan of 95% of MBM stuff.

Anyways... I'm eating an apple for lunch.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Man, I'd rather talk about A Guy Called Gerald and his contributions over Jack. Never been much of a fan of 95% or MBM stuff.

Anyways... I'm eating an apple for lunch.

Gerald is that dude. Once saw him do a cover version of 33 1/3 Queen "Searchin"

Folks apparently would rather get their panties in a wad over newish dudes like Prefuse 73 or RJD2 than as you said "give two shits about" the guy who made their career's possible. I imagine that Josh would be quick to honor his precedent though.

How did he "make their careers possible"? I doubt that most people who are into those artists have ever been MBM fans....

Not this shit again.

• dudes need to stop hatting on jack dangers, because his shit was (and still is)

older stuff was the cream of the crop at the time, and although it hasn't aged gracefully as some may say, it still maintains a certain level of "forward thinking" upon retrospect.

furthermore, take a listen to subliminal sandwich. you can't say with a straight face that prefuse, rj, blockhead and the likes weren't influenced by that. dangers was with a two cd set of retro-analog, breakbeats and lo-fi madness a good while before those guys.

i don't know much about what mbm did after that, kinda lost track. but subliminal sandwich is still a top album. furthermore, dude is more than generous with respect to innovators, has anyone heard the "tape music" 10" he released in 2001? how many producers can you name that can go from industrial to dub to acid and back to musique concrete?

finally, he puts on an awesome live show. although admittedly (and surprisingly), so does rjd2.

Not that I've even heard it...but Dangers was just nominated for a Grammy for his remix of Tower of Power's "What Is Hip".

well that is too bad i agree.. but the artists you just mention also all make horribly dated stuff as well so i dont really get you're agrument...

people should give props to mbm cause they made dated uninteresting music that inspired shadow / prefuse / rj to make similarly boring dated music?

now a guy called gerald there's a man who deserves some props.. give me 808 state over mbm any day of the week

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Tino Breaks albums

Are these even considered albums? Either way, they aren't that hot as albums or break records.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

now a guy called gerald there's a man who deserves some props.. give me 808 state over mbm any day of the week

I'M SAYIN...

So many people don't even know... Most that know the name think, "Oh the voodoo ray dude".

Fucking

well that is too bad i agree.. but the artists you just mention also all make horribly dated stuff as well so i dont really get you're agrument...

people should give props to mbm cause they made dated uninteresting music that inspired shadow / prefuse / rj to make similarly boring dated music?

Not everything needs to be looked at from today's perspective. I remember people freaking out over Meat Beat circa 1990-91...just like people were say freaking out about Gang Starr from 91-94 who if we were to only look at from today's perspective would also qualify for the dated material category.

I appreciate that you, even back then, may have liked 808 State more than Meat Beat...but your insistence on only looking at how well Meat Beat's innovations have aged are falling on deaf ears here.

I tell y'all what though. I'm going to see Meat Beat live in a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'll let y'all know exactly how out of touch they are.

I'M SAYIN...

So many people don't even know... Most that know the name think, "Oh the voodoo ray dude".

Fucking

he's reissuing alot of stuff this year though... some unissued things from back in da day too

I tell y'all what though. I'm going to see Meat Beat live in a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'll let y'all know exactly how out of touch they are.

let me know how the mc900ft jesus gig goes

Not this shit again.

Yes, this schitt again.

Now explain how he "made their careers possible" (not that I think that's really a laudable accomplishment if true).

Not that I've even heard it...but Dangers was just nominated for a Grammy for his remix of Tower of Power's "What Is Hip".

That sounds horrible... unremixed ToP is sufficiently bad.

OK, I went to the Meat Beat Manifesto show at the Parish last night...and it was further proof to me that some of y'all are despicable human beings. The show was sold out, filled with old faces from old Austin clubs like Lizard Lounge, Basic's, and Ohm's. But it wasn't just the nostalgia factor that had everyone there so excited. Meat Beat with Jack Dangers on laptop, another dude on laptop, and a drummer were straight Not only does their bass sound bassier and their drums sound harder than say anyone in hip-hop bar none, but Meat Beat also has the whole DVD-turntable thing down pat. So not only do you hear a sound sample of Roger Troutman freaking his vocoder, but you also see him doing it as he flashes in and out of the song at hand. Now I haven't been too into Meat Beat's most recent studio recordings, but their live show is definitely another case of "what's not to like?"

OK, I went to the Meat Beat Manifesto show at the Parish last night...and it was further proof to me that some of y'all are despicable human beings. The show was sold out, filled with old faces from old Austin clubs like Lizard Lounge, Basic's, and Ohm's. But it wasn't just the nostalgia factor that had everyone there so excited. Meat Beat with Jack Dangers on laptop, another dude on laptop, and a drummer were straight Not only does their bass sound bassier and their drums sound harder than say anyone in hip-hop bar none, but Meat Beat also has the whole DVD-turntable thing down pat. So not only do you hear a sound sample of Roger Troutman freaking his vocoder, but you also see him doing it as he flashes in and out of the song at hand. Now I haven't been too into Meat Beat's most recent studio recordings, but their live show is definitely another case of "what's not to like?"

What does you going to a Meat Beat Manifesto show rave have to do with some of us being "despicable human beings," again?

What does you going to a Meat Beat Manifesto show rave have to do with some of us being "despicable human beings," again?

Hello, worst offender.

Any other meaningful artistic movements that you can dismiss away with some sort of misinformed, scared-to-step-out-of-your-preapproved-box, oversimplified soft-as-a-bunny jab?

Hello, worst offender.

Any other meaningful artistic movements that you can dismiss away with some sort of misinformed, scared-to-step-out-of-your-preapproved-box, oversimplified soft-as-a-bunny jab?

Line 'em up, poptart.

You know I'm never scared to condemn a meaningful artistic movement or to cause an independently-owned west coast Black business to fail...

Hello, worst offender.

Line 'em up, poptart.

You know I'm never scared to condemn a meaningful artistic movement or to cause an independently-owned west coast Black business to fail...

I think they now sell social leverage in a bottle.

So there's no more need to base your entire persona on downplaying the actual life of others.

You and all your frat brothers...

You and all your frat brothers...

I love it...

In fact, me and my frat brothers were gonna get together this weekend. We're gonna take the yacht out into New York harbor and, you know, stub our cigars out on copies of Aceyalone's latest masterpiece.

Now how does that sound?

i heard Dangers is hoping to get Chris Cornell to contribute vocals for his next lp which he's envisioning as a "big beat drum and bass epic with some really dope rock parts"

Dangers withheld his own rapping for all but one song. And you know what? It was great. No pretense, no trying to pretend that he's black or tough or rich, just Dangers being Dangers.

Many here should at least attempt to follow such a lead.

Dangers withheld his own rapping for all but one song. And you know what? It was great. No pretense, no trying to pretend that he's black or tough or rich, just Dangers being Dangers.

Many here should at least attempt to follow such a lead.

"Being Dangers"?