›

ripping off Lee patches

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
To older folks living in or around NYC in the early 80's...It must have been around '83 or '84, but there was this whole epidemic going around my high school (and to a worse extent, the middle school) where kids would run around ripping off the "Lee" patches from peoples flavored Lee jeans.Now my memory is a little sketchy, but from what I remember, this all started on account of a promotion that V.I.M stores were running (on KISS & WBLS) where you could get a free pair of Lee jeans if you turned in a certain amount of Lee patches (I think it was 20).It got so bad at our school that the Principal had to get buckwild and start suspending kids if they got caught stealing patches.And this was at an upstate school!I have to imagine that it was a lot worse in the city or in the boroughs.And don't forget, this was at a time when EVERYONE wore Lee jeans.Anyone remember this epidemic??

Comments

• To older folks living in or around NYC in the early 80's...

It must have been around '83 or '84, but there was this whole epidemic going around my high school (and to a worse extent, the middle school) where kids would run around ripping off the "Lee" patches from peoples flavored Lee jeans.
    Now my memory is a little sketchy, but from what I remember, this all started on account of a promotion that V.I.M stores were running (on KISS & WBLS) where you could get a free pair of Lee jeans if you turned in a certain amount of Lee patches (I think it was 20).
    It got so bad at our school that the Principal had to get buckwild and start suspending kids if they got caught stealing patches.
    And this was at an upstate school!
    I have to imagine that it was a lot worse in the city or in the boroughs.
    And don't forget, this was at a time when EVERYONE wore Lee jeans.

Anyone remember this epidemic??

I don't think it happened at my school but Cannibal Ox has a rhyme about that (soooo connected to the streets right now). I think they might have gone to school in Poughkeepsie too.

• I don't think it happened at my school but Cannibal Ox has a rhyme about that (soooo connected to the streets right now).

Really? Do you know what song it is? I'd like to hear it.

I think they might have gone to school in Poughkeepsie too.

Well I know that guy Vast (?) has links here. I know his father, "Tree", very well actually.
    He lives here in PK & he's pretty active in the local community with regards to education & troubled youth.
    He's also a veteran party promoter and has long time links with Bam, Herc, etc.
    I've done a lot of parties with him over the years & they've always been a lot of fun - especially when he brings Hollywood up.
    From what Tree told me, I think Vast grew up with his mom in Harlem or the BX and just came up here to go to college.

• Thanks!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All I can remember from wayyy back then was "red" tag meant you were cool & "orange" meant you were wack.

• did Kwest The Mad Ladd mention this in that song about V.I.M.?

• did Kwest The Mad Ladd mention this in that song about V.I.M.?

I remember dudes yelling "shout, shout, Lee's are plain out" to that Tears for Fears song in like sixth grade, but I don't remember anyone stealing patches. And if anyone has a dub of that VIM commercial where Chuck Leonard was all bass voice like "V.....I....M" with massive echo around like all those fly threads are dragging him down into the molten core of the Earth that would be awesome.

• I remember dudes yelling "shout, shout, Lee's are plain out" to that Tears for Fears song in like sixth grade, but I don't remember anyone stealing patches.

Wouldn't that be "played out"?

• paulnice said:
    To older folks living in or around NYC in the early 80's...It must have been around '83 or '84, but there was this whole epidemic going around my high school (and to a worse extent, the middle school) where kids would run around ripping off the "Lee" patches from peoples flavored Lee jeans.Now my memory is a little sketchy, but from what I remember, this all started on account of a promotion that V.I.M stores were running (on KISS & WBLS) where you could get a free pair of Lee jeans if you turned in a certain amount of Lee patches (I think it was 20).It got so bad at our school that the Principal had to get buckwild and start suspending kids if they got caught stealing patches.And this was at an upstate school!I have to imagine that it was a lot worse in the city or in the boroughs.And don't forget, this was at a time when EVERYONE wore Lee jeans.Anyone remember this epidemic??

• Yes of course!!!! The Bronx was running rampant with lee patches!!! We took them off ourselves to avoid being violated

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Never infected my HS, to my best recollection. It surely would have, if viralism/Tik-Tokicity were a thing at that time ('81/'82).

GJ