Hip hop songs about graffiti?

HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
What are a few hip hop joints about graffiti? Im doing a write up on my blog http://thelowendtheory.blogspot.com and only have like 4 tracks so far and want to get a few more up there. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    wrong side of the tracks and tommy ts aerosoul comes to mind!

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    yeah i was gonna use artifacts. What is that other track? i never heard of that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Beat Street - Melle Mel & the Furious Five

yeah, it's the theme to a pretty bad movie, but the lyrics have some of the fullest graf imagery I remember from back in the day:

Well A Picture Can Express A Thousand Words And Describe All the Beauty of Life you Give
    And if The Whole World was Yours To Do over I know You'd Paint A Better Place To live
    Where the Colors would Swirl and the Boys and Girls Can grow in Peace and Harmony
    And where Murals Stand on walls so Grand As far as the Eye Are Able to see
    I never Knew Art 'Til I Saw Your Face And There'll never be one to take your place
    Cause Each Time you Touch The Spay paint Can Michelangleo's Soul Control's your Hand
    Then Serenades of Blue and Red and the Beauty of the Rainbow Fills Your Head
    Crescendo Colors Play in tune Man Why O'why'd You Have To Die so Soon
    Ashes to Ashes and Dust To Dust Where The Good Die Young is All Thy Must
    Cause As Life must Live Death Must Die and the Tears shall fall from the Livin' Eye

I'm sittin' in the classroom learnin' the rules and it say you can't do Graffiti in School
    They can't be Wrong in the Hollowed Hall so my Notebook turned into a big Wall
    The heart of A lion and The Courage of Three and the mind of a man mush wiser than Me
    And The soul of a brother who won't come Back, Who Died in My Arms on the railroad Tracks

Still Life Urban Masterpiece, your Trademark was written on Trains and Walls
    A Million Dollar gift only god Relief (?) And yet you got Killed for nothin' at All
    So After this there'll be No More Hard Time, No more bad time and no more pain
    No more chump change, none of that Bull, just Movies, Museums, and The Hall of Fame

(excuse the sketchy lyrics, I copied n pasted cause I couldn't remember all that ish top of the head style!)

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    typical cats-the manhattan project

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    escapades of Futura 2000 count?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    YZ - Taggin' It Up

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I thought some one on fondel'em did a track about it or CO FLOW... Though I hear Dialated and PUTS talk about writing....

• I thought some one on fondel'em did a track about it or CO FLOW...

I think that is "End To End Burners"

Also, DJ Phantom out of Europe did a really dope Graf track, nice beat and lots of vocal snippets a la Style Wars dropped in there. It's on one of his break records.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Artifacts obviously.

Also a lot of Big Jus aka Lune TNS: Some joints off of Funcrusher but also off of his solo album Balck Mamba Serums.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Zeb Roc Ski - All City Style Wars

The whole album is dedicated to graf.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    damn good looking. If anyone wants to contribute anything you can yousendit me a mp3 and ill give you credit on the blog when i do the post. I plan on doing a whole history of graff from its origins and where its at now. If you want to hit me up with thouse songs though get at me at
    [email]thelowendtheory@gmail.com[/email]
    thanks again.

• meikel_neitmeikel_neit 110 Posts
    if the language doesn't matter, there might be at least one german track comin to my mind. holla if you're interested (mp3).

• How about KRS-ONE "Out for fame". Very nice track!

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    yeah sure sendit to me. I dont speak a word of german but if its tight i will make it an honorable mention.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    What are a few hip hop joints about graffiti? Im doing a write up on my blog http://thelowendtheory.blogspot.com and only have like 4 tracks so far and want to get a few more up there. Thanks in advance.

Hey, you should check out these clips from an album I was involved with by my old collective, Stylus Force. It's called "Tales From The Rails". It's instrumental hiphop+whateverrocks sprinkled with exclusive soundbites. We actually made a scratch tool from the interviews and sound fx we gathered, and used it to make the final record. It's a graffiti koncept album and it's meant to be a tribute to the artform. This is supposed to be music 2 write 2.

Check out some mp3s here:

DJ Blaze ??? "Upwrite"

The Phobos Peepl (that's me) ??? "Tunnel Vision"

Pelham 123 ??? "Cyborg Rider"

Tales From The Rails Medley

We also released an EP with music by DJ Blaze for a graff video by the danish writer crew MOA called Monsters Of Art. Don't have any links ready for that, though.

While we're at the shameless self-promoting, here's two tracks that we did for a later 7"-release (not graffitti-related):

DJ Blaze ??? "Boogie Children"

The Phobos Peepl ??? "Black-Out"

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    My favourite: Looptroop - Illegal Commercial (find the mp3 online).

• meikel_neitmeikel_neit 110 Posts
    yeah sure sendit to me. I dont speak a word of german but if its tight i will make it an honorable mention.

some files on their way to you.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    yeah, looptroop has lots of songs about graffiti.

Also, there is this track from the '90s with the chorus:
    "I'd rather be a graffer than a player"...."If you back against the wall, turn around and write on it" or something like that, but I forgot the name of the song.

And off course: Rakim - just writing my name in graffiti on the wall

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yeah, looptroop has lots of songs about graffiti.

Also, there is this track from the '90s with the chorus:
    "I'd rather be a graffer than a player"...."If you back against the wall, turn around and write on it" or something like that, but I forgot the name of the song.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    I have it on a mixtape, but I don't have the playlist from it.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    thanks for all the suggestions. The post should be up sometime this week. Peace.