Oscar nominees 2006... discuss!

2»

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    And the nominees are...

Best Supporting Actor[/b]
    William Hurt in A History of Violence

this also got a nom for best adapted screenplay, to which i say...
    WHAT!?! i thought this movie was laughably bad.
    please no more gratuitous nudity maria bello (noayo, shes just not sexy)

what's worse is that clifton collins jr got shafted for what was one of the best acting performances of the year in capote.

history of violence spoiler:
    and will hurt's character was unnecessary, the movie should have been over when ed harris died.
    I really can't cosign this enough. My girlfriend and I still laugh about how absurd the dialogue was in that movie. "You could die Joey, you could die!" with the bad accents and the unnecessary facial hair.

thank you i thought i was going crazy

• And the nominees are...

what's worse is that clifton collins jr got shafted for what was one of the best acting performances of the year in capote.

and will hurt's character was unnecessary, the movie should have been over when ed harris died.
    I really can't cosign this enough. My girlfriend and I still laugh about how absurd the dialogue was in that movie. "You could die Joey, you could die!" with the bad accents and the unnecessary facial hair.

So did we. Before we went to the movie my girlfriends mom told us it was the best movie she saw all year. We left the movie thinking WTF was she talking about.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    And the nominees are...

So did we. Before we went to the movie my girlfriends mom told us it was the best movie she saw all year. We left the movie thinking WTF was she talking about.

i had the same exact experience except it was my moms who recommended the flick to me and a girl. when we got out, i called her up and told her she was crazy. when the nominations were announced, she rubbed my face in it. i'm going to tell her you got my back.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

It was not a serious commentary on race at all. It was a caricature of race. A joke basically. I felt insulted leaving that motherfucker. No subtley at all. And yes, race is a subject that deserves subtley.

could not have said it better.

• Best Documentary[/b]
    Murderball

um what the hell. i saw this and it was good for the personal stories portions, but the actual footage of the game i couldn't tell what was going on or how and when people scored. it was way flawed

i can't believe Grizzly Man got snubbed. the Oscars are so weak. remember when Russell "Phones Throw" Crowe won Best Actor for Gladiator? Give me a break that was the most bloated and boring 'epic' evar

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

Best Documentary[/b]

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Anyone see this, hot buisness, will prob loose to those cute penguins...

I was real disappointed with this one. The movie spent so much time tryin to convince the audience that what happened was wrong. Motherfucker - we know it was wrong, so get to the interesting details! At its worst it seemed condescending. I didn't think I learned one thing from that movie that I didn't already read in newspaper articles.

"Crash" and "Good Night and Good Luck" were great, well made movies, but I think "Syriana" and "History of Violence" should have been over those two. Far more ambitious and engaging.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I think which movies are chosen for Oscars says far more about who the critics are, than what are actually the best movies.

The best "movie review" I ever read was a "review of movie reviews about Sideways" in the New York Times around a year ago. The article said that critics like Sideways so much cause most reviewers are essentially Giamatti's character: literate, socially awkward, bitter, portly, and with an appreciation for 'finer' things like wine, books and movies. And this was written by a movie reviewer with many movie reviewer friends.

• I think which movies are chosen for Oscars says far more about who the critics are, than what are actually the best movies.

The best "movie review" I ever read was a "review of movie reviews about Sideways" in the New York Times around a year ago. The article said that critics like Sideways so much cause most reviewers are essentially Giamatti's character: literate, socially awkward, bitter, portly, and with an appreciation for 'finer' things like wine, books and movies. And this was written by a movie reviewer with many movie reviewer friends.

Hmmmm, can a similar critique be applied to record reviewers...?

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I think which movies are chosen for Oscars says far more about who the critics are, than what are actually the best movies.

The best "movie review" I ever read was a "review of movie reviews about Sideways" in the New York Times around a year ago. The article said that critics like Sideways so much cause most reviewers are essentially Giamatti's character: literate, socially awkward, bitter, portly, and with an appreciation for 'finer' things like wine, books and movies[/b] And this was written by a movie reviewer with many movie reviewer friends.

Hmmmm, can a similar critique be applied to record reviewers...?

ZING!

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    y'know everytime I see I still think Einstein. Peace 'word ...