Oscar nominees 2006... discuss!

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
And the nominees are...Best Actor[/b]Philip Seymour Hoffman in CapoteTerrence Howard in Hustle & FlowHeath Ledger in Brokeback MountainJoaquin Phoenix in Walk the LineDavid Strathairn in Good Night, and Good LuckBest Supporting Actor[/b]George Clooney in SyrianaMatt Dillon in CrashPaul Giamatti in Cinderella ManJake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback MountainWilliam Hurt in A History of ViolenceBest Actress[/b]Judi Dench in Mrs. Henderson PresentsFelicity Huffman in TransamericaKeira Knightley in Pride & PrejudiceCharlize Theron in North CountryReese Witherspoon in Walk the LineBest Supporting Actress[/b]Amy Adams in JunebugCatherine Keener in CapoteFrances McDormand in North CountryRachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener"Michelle Williams in Brokeback MountainBest Picture[/b]Brokeback MountainCapoteCrashGood Night, and Good Luck"MunichBest Director[/b]Ang Lee, Brokeback MountainBennet Miller, CapotePaul Haggis, CrashGeorge Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck.Steven Spielberg, MunichBest Foreign Film[/b]Don???t Tell - ItalyJoyeux No??l - FranceParadise Now - PalestineSophie Scholl - The Final Days - GermanyTsotsi - South AfricaBest Animated Film of the Year[/b]Howl???s Moving CastleTim Burton???s Corpse BrideWallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-RabbitBest Documentary[/b]Darwin???s NightmareEnron: The Smartest Guys in the RoomMarch of the PenguinsMurderballStreet Fight

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Three 6 Mafia[/b] was nominated for an Original song Oscar for their Terrence Howard-executed song "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp??? from Hustle & Flow.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Best Actress[/b]
    Judi Dench in Mrs. Henderson Presents
    Felicity Huffman in Transamerica
    Keira Knightley in Pride & Prejudice
    Charlize Theron in North Country
    Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line

I hope she doesn't win shit. One of these days she will have to give Ashle Judd's life back to her.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Best Documentary[/b]

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Anyone see this, hot buisness, will prob loose to those cute penguins...

• Don't Forget

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
    Nominees:

Hustle & Flow (2005) - Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman, Paul Beauregard ("It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp") [/b]

Crash (2004) - Michael Becker, Kathleen York ("In the Deep")

Transamerica (2005) - Dolly Parton ("Travelin' Thru")

I'm crossing my fingers that we will be hearing the phrase "whomp that trick" at some point on Oscar Eve.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I'm not sure why Fateless wasn't up for best foreign film, unless it's because Sophie Scholl made it, and they didn't want two films with a similar theme up for the award. Sadly, IMO Fateless is a better film. Hell, it may be the best movie I have ever seen that deals with the Holocaust.

I also don't understand "Joyeux Noel". Cache should have got the nod, but I guess it isn't "touching enough" for the Oscars.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I didnt catch any of those movies............

• I'm not sure why Fateless wasn't up for best foreign film, unless it's because Sophie Scholl made it, and they didn't want two films with a similar theme up for the award. Sadly, IMO Fateless is a better film. Hell, it may be the best movie I have ever seen that deals with the Holocaust.

I also don't understand "Joyeux Noel". Cache should have got the nod, but I guess it isn't "touching enough" for the Oscars.

Agreed, the foreign film category nominations are always a head scratcher.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Best Actress[/b]
    Judi Dench in Mrs. Henderson Presents
    Felicity Huffman in Transamerica
    Keira Knightley in Pride & Prejudice
    Charlize Theron in North Country
    Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line

I hope she doesn't win shit. One of these days she will have to give Ashle Judd's life back to her.

Ashley Judd, while sexier, doesn't take on half of the tougher, risky roles. Did you see Monster? That movie was tailor made for the Oscars and I will never watch that shit ever again but Charlize Theron was

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Ashley Judd, while sexier, doesn't take on half of the tougher, risky roles. Did you see Monster? That movie was tailor made for the Oscars and I will never watch that shit ever again but Charlize Theron was

Who needs risky, tougher roles when Ashley can still take those brave woman whose man is wrongly imprisoned or her son taken away from her, and she can still free his husband or get his son back while at the same time she can shake her lovely ass all across the movie?

With the proper make-up job and a blonde wig, Barney could have done Charlize part in Monster and he would have an Oscar at home right now.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Who needs risky, tougher roles when Ashley can still take those brave woman whose man is wrongly imprisoned or her son taken away from her, and she can still free his husband or get his son back while at the same time she can shake her lovely ass all across the movie?

With the proper make-up job and a blonde wig, Barney could have done Charlize part in Monster and he would have an Oscar at home right now.

Well, start up a Ashley Judd Lobby and I will support it.

Personally, I'm doing just fine with the overabundance of Scarlett Johansson.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    I'm not sure why Fateless wasn't up for best foreign film, unless it's because Sophie Scholl made it, and they didn't want two films with a similar theme up for the award. Sadly, IMO Fateless is a better film. Hell, it may be the best movie I have ever seen that deals with the Holocaust.

Agreed, the foreign film category nominations are always a head scratcher.

under academy rules, cache (best film of the year) is d.q.'d because Hanke is a different nationality than the language spoken in the film.

ass-backwards.

• under academy rules, cache (best film of the year) is d.q.'d because Hanke is a different nationality than the language spoken in the film.

ass-backwards.

That might be, but on the other hand the list of nominees is looking a lot more quality-based than last year:

(2005)
    The Aviator

Finding Neverland

Million Dollar Baby

Ray

Sideways

(2006)
    Brokeback Mountain

Capote

Crash

Good Night, and Good Luck"

Munich

...although i dont for the life of my can understand what "crash" is doing in there; solid movie at best.

• -

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

...although i dont for the life of my can understand what "crash" is doing in there; solid movie at best.

Word, except I'd replace "solid" with "fucking terrible" and "borderline offensive".

change that to just plain old offensive and i am signing my name next to yours.

bullshit.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Co-sign on the super weaksauceness of the Crash, save Cheadle's great performance.

• Co-sign on the super weaksauceness of the Crash, save Cheadle's great performance.

really i thought it was really good. thought the writing was on point. probably top 5 movies i saw in theaters all year, oh wait i only saw 5 movies all year in theaters...

dave

• no 40 year old virgin? honestly, this is the only movie i remember seeing last year. i didnt see a single movie they nominated nor do i want to. well, ok, i do wanna see brokeback mountain.

they reported on the local news here a while back that an unprecedented amount of screeners of the movie "crash" were distributed to academy members. which is prolly why it was nominated. maybe

• i went to highschool with two guys up for oscars with the Truman Capote movie. Best screenplay adaption and best director.

• I find it hard to believe Grizzly Man didn't get nominated for best documentary. Oh well. By the way, I hear we're addicted to oil...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Co-sign on the super weaksauceness of the Crash, save S>Cheadle/S> Howard's great performance.

Not an oscar nominee (thank god), but i recently watched Broken Flowers and it was a certified terd. Like one long two hour pan of Bill Murray looking despondant. Aka Lost In Translation minus the Scarlett eye candy. You gets no mulatu dawg.

• I agree - Crash was not a memorable film. Jim Carey was great in it, though.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow I'm surprised at all the negativity on Crash. That movie is practically custom made for soulstrut. I didn't see it in theaters cause I thought it was gonna suck. Ended up watching it begrudgingly with a girl and about 20 minutes into it I was totally sucked in.

Even Ludacris came across as a genuine actor.

But what do I know I love ensemble pieces.

Paradise Now will win Best Documentary, unless it becomes a popularity contest which the documentary catagory has become in the last couple years.

Munich was 3 hours of pure ass, dissapointing since I've been interested in that story since like 2nd grade.

Brokeback will win best picture simply cause Hollywood loves to pat itself on the back for making films they feel are "important"

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    And the nominees are...

Best Supporting Actor[/b]
    William Hurt in A History of Violence

this also got a nom for best adapted screenplay, to which i say...
    WHAT!?! i thought this movie was laughably bad.
    please no more gratuitous nudity maria bello (noayo, shes just not sexy)

what's worse is that clifton collins jr got shafted for what was one of the best acting performances of the year in capote.

history of violence spoiler:
    and will hurt's character was unnecessary, the movie should have been over when ed harris died.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Brokeback will win best picture simply cause Hollywood loves to pat itself on the back for making films they feel are "important"

Like a few of Lee's films, it was shot really well. But it was pretty damn boring. Cept for getting to see The Princess Diaries breasteses (Nice) and Jen from Dawsons Creek (Not as nice).

• no 40 year old virgin?

dude you may have thought you were joking, but the chick that played the "drunk girl" that Steve Carrell takes home DESERVES AN OSCAR.

The scene was a tour-de-force: She went through all the stages of a wasted chick in accellerated fashion: drunk flirty telling you about her friends' relationships, drunk trying to sober up to drive, drunk driving, drunk horny, drunk mad, drunk sick, all the span of like 5 minutes! It was priceless.

• wow I'm surprised at all the negativity on Crash. That movie is practically custom made for soulstrut.

It would seem so, but the fact is that this movie sucked.

It was not a serious commentary on race at all. It was a caricature of race. A joke basically. I felt insulted leaving that motherfucker. No subtley at all. And yes, race is a subject that deserves subtley.

And yeah Munich sucked.

• no 40 year old virgin?

dude you may have thought you were joking, but the chick that played the "drunk girl" that Steve Carrell takes home DESERVES AN OSCAR.

The scene was a tour-de-force: She went through all the stages of a wasted chick in accellerated fashion: drunk flirty telling you about her friends' relationships, drunk trying to sober up to drive, drunk driving, drunk horny, drunk mad, drunk sick, all the span of like 5 minutes! It was priceless.

who's joking? that film was a piece of cinematic brilliance!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    It was not a serious commentary on race at all. It was a caricature of race.

i repeat

That movie is practically custom made for soulstrut.

• And the nominees are...

Best Supporting Actor[/b]
    William Hurt in A History of Violence

this also got a nom for best adapted screenplay, to which i say...
    WHAT!?! i thought this movie was laughably bad.
    please no more gratuitous nudity maria bello (noayo, shes just not sexy)

what's worse is that clifton collins jr got shafted for what was one of the best acting performances of the year in capote.

history of violence spoiler:
    and will hurt's character was unnecessary, the movie should have been over when ed harris died.
    I really can't cosign this enough. My girlfriend and I still laugh about how absurd the dialogue was in that movie. "You could die Joey, you could die!" with the bad accents and the unnecessary facial hair.

• -