How desperate are you for a holy grail?

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
This copy of Stark Reality sold for over $300 on ebay a week ago with one record missing and a cover that was the same texture as toilet paper. Now we all have records on our want lists that don't turn up often and usually at a crazy high price, but where do you draw the line at obtaining a holy grail in any condition at any cost? And for for those interested I have the Stark Reality shrink wrap minus the cover and the records that I will auction on ebay this week.

Comments

• I agree, although i sometimes let a lower grading pass if you manage to get a cheap and it's playayble but looks a bit scruffy but if you can't play it?? I saw a copy of Montclairs "hey you" on Arch on ebay where the seller said "the record is in really bad shape, can't be used for djing or playing, can be used for a frisbee maybe or to put on you wall" and it still ended at 84$!!!! Morons..

/L

• I saw a copy of Montclairs "hey you" on Arch on ebay where the seller said "the record is in really bad shape, can't be used for djing or playing, can be used for a frisbee maybe or to put on you wall" and it still ended at 84$!!!! Morons..

You're looking at this entirely in the wrong light. What you should be saying is, "What piece of shit non-playable record could I be selling for $84 right now?"

• I saw a copy of Montclairs "hey you" on Arch on ebay where the seller said "the record is in really bad shape, can't be used for djing or playing, can be used for a frisbee maybe or to put on you wall" and it still ended at 84$!!!! Morons..

You're looking at this entirely in the wrong light. What you should be saying is, "What piece of shit non-playable record could I be selling for $84 right now?"

hahaha too-right you are or if i say that there was the original lead singer who cracked, spitted and threw dust on the record i might get more for those cracked dustbin copies..

/L

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

The bean dip is supposed to go on the record, not the cover.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    But it's like an 800 dollar record though, right?

Disc 1 @ $300
    Disc 2 @ $300
    Cover @ $200

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

week.

as much as i want this i wouldnt drop loot on this item, looks too smelly, too much fungus and only one record, nope!

• And the back cover isn't much better.

• I only buy sealed records or with at least 75% of the wrap still in place. Anything below 75% I'll stay away from.

AS SEEN IN PARTIAL THE PICTURE DEPICT SOME OF THE FACE WHICH IS MISSING ABOUT 35% TO 25% OF IT'S WRAP, THE BACK IS BASICALLY ALL COVERED IN WHAT I THINK LOOKS LIKE THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING PLASTIC WRAP. TAKOMA LABEL'S ARE EXCELLENT THE VINYL IS IN NEAR MINT CONDITION, (MAYBE JUST A MINUS FOR ANY DUST I DIDN'T CAREFULLY SWIPE OF WITH A DAMP CLOTH, NOT THAT THIS WAS A DUSTY OR ABSOLUTELY NOT A MUST LP, COMPLETELY ODOR FREE I MUST ADD.) EXCELLENT JACKET I GIVE A VERY CONFIDENT VG++ INCHING TOWARDS (NO SEAM SPLITS) NM-. WHAT A FIND. YES I HAVE PLAYED THIS GUY AND YOU WILL BE COMPLETELY PLEASED WITH HOW IT SOUNDS AND IS VERY PRESENTABLE WITH MUCH OF THE ORIGINAL PLASTIC WRAP STILL COVERING THE OUTER MOST PORTION OF THE JACKET FACE AND ALL OF THE BACK. JUST OUTSTANDING STUFF ...

• montymonty 420 Posts

The bean dip is supposed to go on the record, not the cover.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Yeah, I saw that one and thought about it... for about a second. No thanks. If you're gonna drop that kind of dough on a record, it should be for the real deal.

In a related note, did anyone catch that Jade auction yesterday? Described as having marks all over and noise throughout and still went four a couple hundred. Jeepers.

DJ Ferrari

• Yeah, I saw that one and thought about it... for about a second. No thanks. If you're gonna drop that kind of dough on a record, it should be for the real deal.

co sign. You see that on dustygroove too. A poor condition record going for over a hundred and it gets scooped up within a day. If their's skips and has mad surface noise how can you enjoy it? It's like buying a flat tire from a ferrari just to tell you're friends, "Yeah, but it's from a Ferrari"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    re: that email you got from hyunjoo about lunch... that was an accident. she meant to email her coworker named "monalee" or something like that. at least, thats the excuse she gave me.....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I only buy sealed records or with at least 75% of the wrap still in place. Anything below 75% I'll stay away from.

AS SEEN IN PARTIAL THE PICTURE DEPICT SOME OF THE FACE WHICH IS MISSING ABOUT 35% TO 25% OF IT'S WRAP, THE BACK IS BASICALLY ALL COVERED IN WHAT I THINK LOOKS LIKE THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING PLASTIC WRAP. TAKOMA LABEL'S ARE EXCELLENT THE VINYL IS IN NEAR MINT CONDITION, (MAYBE JUST A MINUS FOR ANY DUST I DIDN'T CAREFULLY SWIPE OF WITH A DAMP CLOTH, NOT THAT THIS WAS A DUSTY OR ABSOLUTELY NOT A MUST LP, COMPLETELY ODOR FREE I MUST ADD.) EXCELLENT JACKET I GIVE A VERY CONFIDENT VG++ INCHING TOWARDS (NO SEAM SPLITS) NM-. WHAT A FIND. YES I HAVE PLAYED THIS GUY AND YOU WILL BE COMPLETELY PLEASED WITH HOW IT SOUNDS AND IS VERY PRESENTABLE WITH MUCH OF THE ORIGINAL PLASTIC WRAP STILL COVERING THE OUTER MOST PORTION OF THE JACKET FACE AND ALL OF THE BACK. JUST OUTSTANDING STUFF ...

Agreed. I passed on that auction due to the 3% - it was tough, but I have to remain true to my standards.

• COMPLETELY ODOR FREE I MUST ADD.

• yeah i realized the desperation for these holy grails a couple years ago when this guy had this phil ranelin-vibes from tribe on ebay. the cover was ripped to shreds and the record was like vg to vg-. i thought i would win it at like 50 bucks or somethin. i was all psyched cause i thought i was going to win this record i've been looking for for like 10 years and it ended up going for about 200 if i remember right. i was just blown away by that.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

This copy of Stark Reality sold for over $300 on ebay a week ago with one record missing and a cover that was the same texture as toilet paper. Now we all have records on our want lists that don't turn up often and usually at a crazy high price, but where do you draw the line at obtaining a holy grail in any condition at any cost? And for for those interested I have the Stark Reality shrink wrap minus the cover and the records that I will auction on ebay this week.
    That was Sean J Period's copy. He sold it to TSL about a year ago. I know because it's from the radio station that we did shows on. WCRC later WDCE in Richmond, VA.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ps. i know where the other record is.

• ps. i know where the other record is.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ps. i know where the other record is.

I have to admit, I find that pretty cool.

didn't the guy say in the auction he sold the other record for like 100 or something ?

dave

didn't the guy say in the auction he sold the other record for like 100 or something ?

dave
    yup.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    if he did, THAT'S BULLSHIT!

• Seriously, fuck a $200 VG- record. Unless it is from nigeria, is unheard of rare, and there is no way you could even obtain a dub of it. Which "vibes.." is, although a rare and amazing record, not. Plus it's been reissued.

• Seriously, fuck a $200 VG- record. Unless it is from nigeria, is unheard of rare, and there is no way you could even obtain a dub of it. Which "vibes.." is, although a rare and amazing record, not. Plus it's been reissued.

i agree.

• if he did, THAT'S BULLSHIT!

actually he said it came with two of the same record. so he sold the first one for 100 and the second one with the sleve for 300+. I guess adding a severely water damaged cover adds an extra $200.

• This copy of Stark Reality sold for over $300 on ebay a week ago with one record missing and a cover that was the same texture as toilet paper. Now we all have records on our want lists that don't turn up often and usually at a crazy high price, but where do you draw the line at obtaining a holy grail in any condition at any cost? And for for those interested I have the Stark Reality shrink wrap minus the cover and the records that I will auction on ebay this week.

peace*

i think people are looking at this from only one angle. on average, the stark record goes for $600.00 and UP! (most of the time regardless of condition) so it would seem likely that half of the record would go for half the price (give or take).
    and as far as the jacket......well, one can't play the jacket...only the record. i know i have bought sh_t grade records/cover before, and paid alot of $$$$ however; the record was raer and i needed/wanted it (explained the junkie....lol)

at the end of the day, this guy/girl has stark and alot of us don't.we all have are limits as well as things we do in the dark of the night when no one is looking...lol....i traded mine a few yrz ago....and i wish i had my sh_t back

peace*

• Disc 1 @ $300
    Disc 2 @ $300
    Cover @ $200

= reynaldo math

Seriously, buying raers isnt calculations, anyone who does recordbuisness this way just doesnt get it.
    No offense rey

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Disc 1 @ $300
    Disc 2 @ $300
    Cover @ $200

= reynaldo math

Seriously, buying raers isnt calculations, anyone who does recordbuisness this way just doesnt get it.
    No offense rey
    How do you mean? What is the "it" that one should be getting? Please to explain.

• To sum it up: Digging is not about exact market values and calculating a price, estimating the value based on what a Mint copy is worth..

A G graded record (for example )is crap to me, no matter what it is.
    But thats just my 2cents, perhaps the winning bidder is happy as fuck with his purchase.
    Eventhough I would feel very sorry for him, if he was...