Real Designers: What is the mantronix font?

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
this is bothering me. you know the one.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i think it's called moonbase.

i wanna know what the cold chillin one is??? mike2600, where u at?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    this is bothering me. you know the one.

Paging trained designer Mark Latency...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i think it's called moonbase.

nah moonbase is similar but different. thanks though.

• it's called Computer (imaginative name, I know). the original was designed in 1970 if I remember right, and Creative Alliance has a new cut of it out that, while not a exact replica (check uppercase M's etc), is very close:

you can get it at fontshop.com.

moonbase alpha and amelia are two more recent typefaces that take off of this letter style, true....and the Cold Chillin' face was likely handdrawn, if I had to guess.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    it's called Computer (imaginative name, I know). the original was designed in 1970 if I remember right, and Creative Alliance has a new cut of it out that, while not a exact replica (check uppercase M's etc), is very close:

you can get it at fontshop.com.

moonbase alpha and amelia are two more recent typefaces that take off of this letter style, true....and the Cold Chillin' face was likely handdrawn, if I had to guess.
    yeah, the cold chillin was handrawn. i can't member dudes name. same guy that did the epmd logo and the headbangers ball one.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    yeah, the cold chillin was handrawn. i can't member dudes name. same guy that did the epmd logo and the headbangers ball one.
    Haze ?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Eric Haze
    http://www.interhaze.com/

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

[color:white]now who can pm with a stolen copy of this schitt./FoNT>

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    AI SPAM ^^^^ (applauds the use of graemlin in spam).
    The link is nft hawking

BTW, I found the font for free : http://disasterfonts.co.uk/dl/lazenbycomputer.zip

dj_cityboy

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    A distant cousin, not a digital twin.
    Jimster

Yemsky said:
    A distant cousin, not a digital twin.

The OG is one of the first OCR (Optical Character Recognition) fonts - to be read by a computer, for cheque processing etc - and the design of each letter was carefully considered to avoid any confusion with any other characters - but I accept the challenge of finding a closer one (the capital I is different than the Mantronix for example).

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Yemsky

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Following for general design nerdery