Surf rock

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Garagey-surf meets homebrew psych in the reverb chamber:

I keep seeing this referred to as surf, but I vaguely remember a brief soundbite that didn't sound surfy at all.

I'm not doubting that some band could have put out a surf record as late as '68***, but some people (like record dealers) have a habit of describing any random white rock from the sixties as "surf" (except for psych). If the Index are surf, post a soundclip and prove it - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ***note to those who aren't familar: a surf record from '68 is like a chicken-choking funk record from '87...not impossible, but highly unlikely, since they were too late to be current but too early to be revived
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a few tracks--

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RGMN7S4MJ1Q817DQ40W12ZTAF

Not straight dick Dale/Astronauts style, more garagey, but a definite surf feel. In fact, I think this is one of the best mixes of psych and surf ever. And definitely not random white rock--this album deserves its hype IMHO...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

For Pickwick33, the photo I promised. Not a great scan, did it quick.

The Tempests, probably '63 or so. My Dad is the one in the top middle, JJ. No recordings, only this and a promo poster using this photo that I have framed. On the back my Dad wrote a letter home to his folks(my grandparents) talking about a new girlfriend he met while lifeguarding at Lake Oconto. Her name was Jeanne, and that was my Mom, so that letter is the first glimmer of young Birdman.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Wow! Awesome pic, thanks for sharing man.

• That photo is total class, all the way. Thanks for sharing, Birdman.

• Garagey-surf meets homebrew psych in the reverb chamber:

I keep seeing this referred to as surf, but I vaguely remember a brief soundbite that didn't sound surfy at all.

I'm not doubting that some band could have put out a surf record as late as '68***, but some people (like record dealers) have a habit of describing any random white rock from the sixties as "surf" (except for psych). If the Index are surf, post a soundclip and prove it - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
    ***note to those who aren't familar: a surf record from '68 is like a chicken-choking funk record from '87...not impossible, but highly unlikely, since they were too late to be current but too early to be revived

Here's a few tracks--

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RGMN7S4MJ1Q817DQ40W12ZTAF

Not straight dick Dale/Astronauts style, more garagey, but a definite surf feel. In fact, I think this is one of the best mixes of psych and surf ever. And definitely not random white rock--this album deserves its hype IMHO...

this rejuvinates my love for the genre. Soooo good