Humming mixer problem....

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Its doing the same thing my old mixer was doing. it goes hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and then if i jiggle the cables the it either gets really loud of goes away, and sometimes if i just leave it alone it will go away.why is my mixer doing this and how do i make it stop???????by the way, just to clafify, i'm not talking about this:

Comments

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I think this was discussed in the last few months and probably before that too, but the forum search is not working. Once it starts working, give that a try.

My mixer did a very frustrating weird humming thing once, but it turned out there was a brownout. I realized this when trying to microwave some food.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    come on now!!!!!!! HELP!

• In all seriousness man, he might not be that far off. The power at my parents joint is far from clean, and you get an intermitant hum through any speakers, and my mixer when recording. I miss my old place with niiice insulated walls (cool AND quiet) and 3 phase power (it used to be an actors studio).

(sigh)

OH.... oh...

hmmm....

huh.

• what kind of mixer?
    I had a Vestax that developed a buzzish kind of hummm...

it was a connection problem.
    could also be bum cables.
    I'm not good with electronics, so mixer problems are ::
    for me

New Allen and Heath Xone 02.

• ohh...

new mixer hum has to be either factory problems or "dirty power"
    kinda issue...

that sucks, sorry...

did it ever happen w/ an old mixer?
    also maybe try it at someone elses house with their tables

good luck
    L

ohh...

new mixer hum has to be either factory problems or "dirty power"
    kinda issue...

that sucks, sorry...

did it ever happen w/ an old mixer?
    also maybe try it at someone elses house with their tables

good luck
    L

Yeah it happened with my old mixer which is why I got the new one.... haha.

you are right, i should try it at somebody else's house....

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Hopefully you don't end up needing something like this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=181119

• hxxp://www.lh-electric.4t.com/gnd_loop.htm

Power Line Hum[/b]
    Power line hum is a 60/120Hz hum coming from the speakers. It can have several causes. From poorly designed power supply to bad amplifier layout. The first cause can be fixed by sufficient filtering and proper layout. The second cause is more diverse. Most common source is magnetic coupling between power transformer, output transformer, input tubes and circuits. Another cause could stem from eddy currents in the chassis. An eddy (circular) current is a local electric current induced in metal by the AC magnetic field. Steel, is a ferromagnetic material but a poor conductor. If the chassis is made out of steel and is used as the main ground conductor, eddy currents mix with ground return (signal) currents. This results in hum and noise. The solution here is star grounding (see below) and proper transformer (shielding) placement.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Its doing the same thing my old mixer was doing. it goes hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and then if i jiggle the cables the it either gets really loud of goes away, and sometimes if i just leave it alone it will go away.
    I had the exact same problem with my mixer (which is old, Tane ttm-52[/b]). It turned out that some of the contacts on connecting to the RCA jacks were loose and needed saudering (sp?).

• Its doing the same thing my old mixer was doing. it goes hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and then if i jiggle the cables the it either gets really loud of goes away, and sometimes if i just leave it alone it will go away.
    I had the exact same problem with my mixer (which is old, Tane ttm-
    52[/b]). It turned out that some of the contacts on connecting to the RCA jacks were loose and needed saudering (sp?).

soldering? its relatively easy, but results can be hit and miss. I would suggest if its still doing it grounded with OK power that you send that badboy off for service, unless your experienced with the soldering iron.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

soldering? its relatively easy, but results can be hit and miss. I would suggest if its still doing it grounded with OK power that you send that badboy off for service, unless your experienced with the soldering iron.
    Jesus, I really can't spell.

When I cracked open my mixer it was VERY apparent what needed to be done. So, it may be worth while just opening the mixer and making sure your connections are good.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    sometimes if the RCA cords are touching some source of power (i.e. power strip, transformer, etc.) there is a humming "bleed" try to move the audio cables clear of all power sources and see if that helps. Also, make sure your ground wire is tight.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    You need to isolate the problem dude.

First disconnet everything from the mixer until you have just the power and headphones connected. Listen in the headphones (both on cue and mix settings) to see if there is any noise when its on. If it hums right away, you'll know its the mixer circuitry.

Then connect the mixer output to your amp (make sure its not the amp thats humming too). Basically go connection by connection and check for hum each time until you have hooked up all inputs and outputs. When you hear the hum, you'll know what it is.

A wack cable is usually the case (either replace or solder).. sometimes it can be the earth wire to the turntable is either loose or broken, or worst case its bad circuitry inside the mixer (also solderable), but that shit is with A&H kit.

I should have specified when I said cable I meant audio cables, not the power cable.

The noise is definitely coming from the mixer itself and not from somwhere else. When I jiggle or move around the audio cables it either gets a little better or a whole lot worse.

well, thanks for the advice. I'll fuck around with this wen I get home tonight. unless i'm feeling lazy, in which case i won't do shit.