vanguard psych

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
could anyone recommend some good psych albums on vanguard? ive got a few, wanna find more.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Listening, dawg.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Check the archives for my "Vanguard - The Rich Man's Folkways" thread (3/14/05).

Although we were discussing all kinds of releases on that label, Chris C. (and others) were dropping serious knowledge on Vanguard's psych sides.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah i need that one dawg

this one any good?

• The first two Sandy Bull albums.

The first two Sandy Bull albums.

yup

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• Buffy St. Marie "Illuminations" if u haven't heard. Her vocals and guitar are treated with electronics! You might already Know about it, so sorry if this is redundant shit 4 u...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah, i'm really intrigued by this one. really wanna hear it

whatchall know about vanguard apostolic?

everything is everything- funky monkey & naima

If you don't have the first CJ and the fish lp, you need it.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    yeah, i'm really intrigued by this one. really wanna hear it

i own this one

very folky on some joints....but i like it alot

i was too intrigued so i grabbed it

The Third Power's self-titled album is one to look for, if you're into Detroit hard rock from the late sixties or early seventies. I don 't know if you'd properly call this psych, per se, but since it was geared to the same audience more or less, thought I'd mention it.

(FORGET Frost, though, they're terrible.)

• BSM Illuminations is definitely the best album on this label. All of her stuff from 1967-75 is pretty on point but this is far and away the best.

Sandy Bull is excellent, I like him more than John Fahey even.

Jonathan and Leigh is excellent

Even though they're just lowly folk commons don't sleep on One Day at a Time and Joan by Joan Baez, these are perfect records.

Haven't found the one by the Meltzers or that Bruce dude... A lot of these Vanguards are shockingly hard to find.

• Flying Island - S/T Not really psych but a nice LP.

Flying Island - S/T Not really psych but a nice LP.

it's kinda fusion-ee

anyone up on this one from 77? Very similar to the Air lp on Embryo.

• Tina and David Meltzer Poet Song is one of my favorite Vanguard LP's. The couple were founders of the group Serpent Power ( also an excellent vanguard title ) and were beatnik artists and poets from San Francisco. I one time found 9 sealed copies of this record at PDQ under the spoken word section ( incorrectly filed because of the title ) sorry to say that was 8 years ago and they all are gone.

Eric Look Where I am is another excellent Vanguard title that features some quivering emo hipster psyching out on some heavy vibes.

Elizabeth on Vanguard is yet another amazing psych gem, it's been a couple of years since I had that one.

I just sold on called Train Costumed Cuties today for $20 or so but it was Tepid.

Listening is for sure one of the best.

Third Power is exceedingly heavy so is The Far Cry.

Sandy Bull No Deposit No Return is a must have long winded jam LP. It is like a $10 record and is a excellent.

Fahey's Vanguard work is just OK compared to his Takoma.

If you don't have the dark death rock folk of Joan Baez's first LP from 1960 that costs all of a dollar you have head inserted squarely in your ass and need to have your entire collection of raer put into quarantine until you get your starter kit together.

Also Richard and Mimi too.

ap

• ryanryan 334 Posts

IMHO, i'd take Requia any day over his Takoma work.

IMHO, i'd take Requia any day over his Takoma work.

Requia is probably my favorite Fahey. But I do love all his Takoma lp's too.

• Requia is really nice, that's true, but there is nothing like those cryptic, oblique, odd and obscure early Takoma LP's... The artwork, liners, mythology and all.

• not only is requia one of the best fahey records, it will fuck you up more than anything else mentioned in this entire thread

but then again it's not 'psych' so who cares

• whatchall know about vanguard apostolic?

everything is everything- funky monkey & naima

speaking of apostolic - what's this one like?

speaking of apostolic - what's this one like?

What is it?

• The Third Power's self-titled album is one to look for, if you're into Detroit hard rock from the late sixties or early seventies. I don 't know if you'd properly call this psych, per se, but since it was geared to the same audience more or less, thought I'd mention it.

(FORGET Frost, though, they're terrible.)

I have an album by them called Believe thats on Vanguard. It has a couple really good songs. There is a solo album by Jem Targal from the Third Power, but all I know is that it costs hundreds of dollars and that its supposed to be good. I know, not much help. Believe is totally worth getting though.

The Third Power's self-titled album is one to look for, if you're into Detroit hard rock from the late sixties or early seventies. I don 't know if you'd properly call this psych, per se, but since it was geared to the same audience more or less, thought I'd mention it.

I have an album by them called Believe thats on Vanguard.

YEAH, that's what I meant to say. I'm not at home where my Third Power LP is, but I don't know why I subconsciously thought it was self-titled.

It has a couple really good songs.

IMO, more than just "a couple!"

• speaking of apostolic - what's this one like?

What is it?
    It's George & Ben - Boa Constrictor & A Natural Vine 1968

described as folk-psych

• speaking of apostolic - what's this one like?

What is it?

It's George & Ben - Boa Constrictor & A Natural Vine 1968

described as folk-psych
    I have this but haven't listened to it in a while. I remember it being more folk than psych (as usual) but I liked it enough to keep it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    could anyone recommend some good psych albums on vanguard? ive got a few, wanna find more.
    Buffy Saint Marie, but I don't know if you would call this psych. More like folk. Good luck,

• I've always felt that the ERIK "Look Where I Am" was a super underrated album. It's psychedelic and pretty accessable without being commercial. It's one of those albums that when you play it around other people, they all want to know what it is...