record vacuum cleaners

El_MezcalitoEl_Mezcalito 312 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
so my pops is kind of a collector too. he just bought this record cleaning machine where you wet up the record with cleaning juice, and then spin it while the vacuum piece sucks up the juice and gunk. it doesn't do shit for records with scratches, but dirty records... oh my god. anyone else seen these?I used to just put vodka and 409 on a sock and scrub away. but from now on, I'm using this thing.

Comments

• We use one of those at my shop. It is pretty good, but it adds a little bit of time to the process, so I tend to use it only for the records with a fair amount of gunk, or a thin layer of dry dust. They are a good look though, even if they're a bit noisy for a fine upscale reatail establishment such as ours.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    How much do these cost?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How much do these cost?

Vpi? Nitty Gritt? There's another one without a motor, forgot the name.

depends on model, features, etc.

$400 - pretty damn expensive.

I get my records cleaned with a dealer's Nitty Gritty for $1 a piece, not a bad deal.

• I think you can get em used on the 'bay for a couple bills.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    How much do these cost?

Vpi? Nitty Gritt? There's another one without a motor, forgot the name.

depends on model, features, etc.

$400 [/b] - pretty damn expensive.

I get my records cleaned with a dealer's Nitty Gritty for $1 a piece, not a bad deal.

Damn, that's too rich for my blood. I guess it's Gruv Glide cleaners for me.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    ultrasonic
    is

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Get aa KAB EV-1 for 100 bucks & send me a thank you card.

This machine will change your collectro life.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i thought this post was about recording vacuum cleaners, which as it turns out, can be rather lucrative. there was(is?) a company that sells recordings of vacuum cleaners to new parents. appherently it soothes the baby into sleep. little bit of useless FYI.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i heart my nitty gritty.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i thought this post was about recording vacuum cleaners, which as it turns out, can be rather lucrative. there was(is?) a company that sells recordings of vacuum cleaners to new parents. appherently it soothes the baby into sleep. little bit of useless FYI.

Wasn't that on Folkways? "Sounds of The Sucking Hoover" - Dope record.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've had my Nitty Gritty for 15 years. I cut a hole in the box and put in a cooling fan. I've changed the spin motor once. 15 years, it has cleaned 100s of 1,000s of records. If your serious, and you like your records clean, it's worth the investment.

I am not endorsing Nitty Gritty over VPI.

Dan