later Neil Young?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
i've been trying to like the records after Tonght's the Night, but i keep selling them and finding them again at the thrift. does anyone like them? just wondering?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Zuma is dope, took me a while do appreciate it though. I know whatcha mean.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    that harvest moon album reminds me of a girl i really loved once.

that harvest moon album reminds me of a girl i really loved once.

yeah, that's a good 'un. Rust Never Sleeps too. I can't dig any of his 80's shit though.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

this one is the best so far

sick.

I've never heard that one. from the 90's?

that is one dope thing about Neil Young - you can always find a good album of his you didn't know even if you have a dozen of 'em.

yes 90s. this one is good too...

i used to work with this know-it-all sports freak who loved pearl jam. he used to play that mirror ball album all the time, and for some reason it grew on me.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    on the Rock Rot & Rule prank cd, the critic and supreme arbiter of taste Ronald Thomas Clontle says that Neil Young "rots" which basically means "sucks" and puts him on the same level as puff daddy. The radio host Tom Sharpling is shocked and asks him why. Clontle says that he's listened to Landing on Water, Trans, Old Ways, Re-ac-tor and said he hated it. Sharpling says "Have you ever heard any of the stuff he did in the 70s??" and Clontle is like, "dude I just listed like 5 albums there." After that, they invite callers to ask questions and everyone basically cusses this guy out

• this one is the best so far

I rock to this album for sure......real and heavy A+ material

i guess i'm mainly wondering about the geffen stuff. it's just fucking wierd. it seems like he wasn't trying. i know at some point he was simply fucking with David Geffen, who went on to sue him for not being "Neil Young". But why would he fill his otherwise stellar catalog with crap just to get at Cher's ex-girlfriend? I fell like Neil must have been trying to make those records good.

why would he fill his otherwise stellar catalog with crap just to get at Cher's ex-girlfriend?
    canadians secretly wish to destroy america.

• i've been trying to like the records after Tonght's the Night

Zuma
    American Stars and Bars
    Comes a Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust

are all good or great records, imo.

Haven't been able to bring myself to listen to Trans, Landing on Water etc.
    Hawks and Doves has its moments.

• i guess i'm mainly wondering about the geffen stuff. it's just fucking wierd. it seems like he wasn't trying. i know at some point he was simply fucking with David Geffen, who went on to sue him for not being "Neil Young". But why would he fill his otherwise stellar catalog with crap just to get at Cher's ex-girlfriend? I fell like Neil must have been trying to make those records good.

The 80's made a lot of really good artists turn out shitty albums. At least, Neil returned to form a bit in the 90's.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i clock out at zuma...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i guess i'm mainly wondering about the geffen stuff. it's just fucking wierd. it seems like he wasn't trying. i know at some point he was simply fucking with David Geffen, who went on to sue him for not being "Neil Young". But why would he fill his otherwise stellar catalog with crap just to get at Cher's ex-girlfriend? I fell like Neil must have been trying to make those records good.

SoulOnIce schooled me on Trans... it's seriously a great record and if electro DJ's knew what wuz up, they'd spin "sample and hold" next to "was dog a doughnut"....

i remember the sample and hold video from back in the day. i'd love to see that now.

he was simply fucking with David Geffen

From what I've read this is pretty much true I think.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    yea, he slips a little in the 80's but comes back in the 90's. Silver & Gold was the last one I got. Now the promise of a new Neil Young record doesn't really thrill me. Oh yea Harvest moon is a great album!

• Have you see his movie Human Highway with Devo? Devo and Young perform Hey Hey My My. Lots of the music throughout the movie is taken from Transformer and works pretty well. Trippy movie. I could see how some people would hate it, but I was pretty amazed. Kind of futuristic nucelear powered future. Dennis Hopper and Dean Stockwell are in it.This guy wrote about it much better than me.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    [Zuma
    American Stars and Bars
    Comes a Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust

are all good or great records, imo.

Haven't been able to bring myself to listen to Trans, Landing on Water etc.
    Hawks and Doves has its moments.

word...but i think he came BACK with the HORSE on "Arc" and the noise EP "Weld"!

isn't that anton newcombe?

• i've been trying to like the records after Tonght's the Night

Comes a Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Rust

i really dig all three of these.

• American Stars and Bars is right up there with the first five or so. Played it at my gig last night.