Lay Offs.

z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I just lost my job.Ford is laying off 25,000 to 35,000 workers.Daimler Chryler is laying of 6,000 office workers.General Motors plans on laying off 30,000 workers.This isn't America is it?

Comments

• This isn't America is it?

Business first is, sadly, very American.

• Sorry you lost your job. Good luck on the hunt.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Sorry about your job. Unfortunately, jobs and Blue Notes are flying to Asia, me thinks.

• Sorry about your job. Unfortunately Blue Notes, Blue Notes and even more Blue Notes are flying to Asia, me thinks.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Sorry about your job. Unfortunately Blue Notes, Blue Notes and even more Blue Notes are flying to Asia, me thinks.

I heard the Eastern side of Japan is listing into the ocean from all the wax they got.

Sorry about losing your job, illa. I hope you will get decent terms and be able to find something to keep you going until the economy picks up/you discover relatives in Canada or Mexico. There is a massive hidden recession in this country right now. The Saudi-backed company I just did work for went from being the world's largest provider of mutual funds in 2005 to selling it all off in favor of concentrating on consumer debt. That tells you corporate america's opinion of the viability of the stock market... ie, it's going to get worse.

Get into the black economy: Used raers, nightlife, drugs, baked goods.

• Yep.

No big surprise on the auto industry. America has focused on arms production instead of ecocars. They could have very easily spent 1/4 of the military budget on ecofriendly travel and still been the world leader in the auto industry, instead, it is entirely possible that beady eyed fuck might actually flush the entire American economy down the tubes in persuit of whatever freedom he sees fit to enforce today.

At least with the Conservatives in Canadian govt. you guys should be able to plunder our natuaral resources very easily after all this shit comes to a head. Is Bush really gonna bring it to Iran? My god.

I think I might need to move soon. Iceland looks promising.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    dude, sorry to hear that... hope you can get back on your feet.

in the meantime, make sure your unemployment paperwork is in order and hit up that line! i dont know exactly what the laws are like in your state, Michigan? but in cali from what i understand you can get up to 18 months of unemployment compensation, barring that you did work at your present job for longer than 18months. folks will tell you that unemployment is for a year at best but as long as youre actively searching you can get a 6 month extension. im sure someone else here can expand on it.

anyways good luck.
    -rich

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Really sorry about the job.
    Read about those layoffs on CNN the last few days but it never really seems real until it hits you or someone you know...

Hope you get a decent package that at least gives you a little space to find a new job...

• z-illa: sorry man, skimmed your post.
    Good luck!

Can't count how many times I have thoughts like this during the week as I read the news. Unfortunately I've heard Iceland is extremely picky about letting people in. But seriously, where COULD someone move in this globalized world to try and escape much of what is going on? Sometimes I think the Netherlands might be the most "civilized" option but I know it's just a case of the grass being greener...

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Honestly, Canada (Montreal) was a serious option for me. Now with these elections I'm not quite sure...

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm really sorry to hear that z_illa. You didn't work for Ford, did you? Sh*t is CRAZY right now. My moms is in the human resources department there, so she's smack in the middle of all of it. Even told me that she had to go to Meijer over the weekend and buy every package of pocked sized tissues they had on the shelf. Cities like Detroit and Gary live and die on industry products. There's a whole trend back to smaller cars now, instead of gas guzzling SUVs that were so damn popular. This is all tied back to that. The one saving grace in all of this for employees is that they'll still get salary (for up to a full year, I believe). So, they won't get the rug completely snatched out from under them. Times are changing and it's really unfortunate that so many people and FAMILIES have to suffer in the process.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Can't count how many times I have thoughts like this during the week as I read the news. Unfortunately I've heard Iceland is extremely picky about letting people in. But seriously, where COULD someone move in this globalized world to try and escape much of what is going on? Sometimes I think the Netherlands might be the most "civilized" option but I know it's just a case of the grass being greener...

Holland is not energy self-sufficient, but at least you can walk everywhere. Iceland would be great, but let's see what happens to the Gulf Stream first! Canada was looking OK, but the US definitely has plans for the natural gas up there. Mexico is an un-invadable country - too hilly! I'm starting my move end of this year. People in cool cities around the world holla for some house-swaps!

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Naw, I have no connection with the auto industry. Just wanted to make this thread about more than me. I am a graphic/web designer. Bottom line though is CEO's who don't understand the human assets of their companies.

• Bottom line though is CEO's who only care about the assets in their bank accounts.[/b]

CEO's and businesses are beholden to no one but their stockholders.
    It's the way of the corporate world now.

It lets everyone off the hook because there is no one person or small group of people responsible for the decisions.

Max Weber talked about all of this over 100 years ago in Capitalism and the Protestant Work Ethic.

It's all very very sad actually...

• Ive been a victim of this for the last 4 years. In technology here. Was an full time employee pre 9-11. After that it all changed. Ive been in and out work. Working 1 year, out 3 montths, working another year and a half then out 9 months. It really fucks with you. I went back to school, training, I mean I was really putting myself out there on a daily grind. A year away from hittin the BIG 30 year age and its messing with me now more than ever. At a time it really got out of hand, was fuckin up relationships, personal confidence etc. All I can say is hang in there. Dont forget to laugh about shit. I didnt buy records for a good 2 years. On a long term contract now that Im hoping goes perm or atleast long enough for me to find something perm. Stay strong dude. One day itll all make sense.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Having been through a lay-off and the death of a start-up, I know this is a tough thing to go through... I learned that you can't depend on having a job anymore, and I've never gotten too comfortable in my job -- always keeping my eyes open for other places to work, keeping in touch with my contacts etc... and it doesn't hurt to have a side income or business to keep your options open in addition to the day job.

Corporate America has no heart, but that's because capitalism by definition is amoral.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Corporate America has no heart, but that's because capitalism by definition is amoral[/b] .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    dude, sorry to hear that... hope you can get back on your feet.

in the meantime, make sure your unemployment paperwork is in order and hit up that line! i dont know exactly what the laws are like in your state, Michigan? but in cali from what i understand you can get up to 18 months of unemployment compensation, barring that you did work at your present job for longer than 18months. folks will tell you that unemployment is for a year at best but as long as youre actively searching you can get a 6 month extension. im sure someone else here can expand on it.

anyways good luck.
    -rich

That's pretty much right, remembering what I can from personal experience back in 2002. You basically know from the outset how much unemployment money you have accumulated through working. If you decide to take the maximum amount available each month, then you can easily calculate how many months it will last.

Not sure if your scenario is similar to what mine was, but I wasn't too happy with the job I lost, so I used my pinkslip as an opportunity to go back to school and focus on something I like.

For me, the hardest part about being unemployed was changing my lifestyle right afterwards. Burned through my savings when I should've just chilled a bit. Word to the wise.

Hope it all works out.