KID KOALA appreciation post.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
This ones overdue.

The dude is

I saw him play a set at the Thekla in Bristol once.. blew my mind. He did this crazy rendition of Moon River.. everyone was just stood amazed.

I was just listening to that track he did with Dynomite D on the Now Sound Redesigned comp.. pure genius.

Koala brings an x factor to his tracks thats so different its almost impossible to describe, but you can somehow kind of tell that its a koala track just by the vibe of it. His style is definitely one of the most artistically diverse and original in the turntablism game no doubt.

I've got an MP3 of a Radio1 Breezeblock set he did, which I'll hook up later.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I first saw Koala back in 90's when he was in the DMC's. His set was crazyyyyy

Anyways... It's all about the OG Tape Eric first did. The version is a lil different than the 7" they released. I Gotta... I Gotta... I.. I.. Gotta Roc k k!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    soulstrutter and discoverer of things mingering, secretchimp, used to be roomates w/ kk in montreal. he played me some pretty raw stuff from waaay back. dude's been doing it large for a long ass time.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I first saw Koala back in 90's when he was in the DMC's. His set was crazyyyyy

Anyways... It's all about the OG Tape Eric first did. The version is a lil different than the 7" they released. I Gotta... I Gotta... I.. I.. Gotta Roc k k!

Is that the Charlie Brown thing?

I think I got that on this:

Yeah... The Charlie Brown... (Which is only about 30 seconds of the whole thing). It was first a mix tape which was heard and got him signed to Ninja Tune.
    Then released as a 7". But the version is a bit different than the OG tape (Which I prefer).

Scratchcratchratchatch ya'll

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

I'd been thinking of starting a thread like this myself, but wasn't sure what the reaction would be. I've seen KK live in many incarnations now and he ALWAYS manages to amaze me. Isn't this the same 12" that has Beautiful on it - the Jessica Rabbit song? When I first saw him do that live my jaw dropped, my face melted, and everything else just kinda disappeared.

Seriously, I agree that everything he does has its own unique sound, and I think when people did all that talking about turntables being instruments in their own right, Eric was one of the few people who actually delivered on that promise. Any live version of Drunk Trumpet proves this. His ability to manipulate sound is above and beyond.

Plus, all his stuff has an inherent sense of humor which itself makes his stuff really stand out.

I'm assuming everyone has heard his cut on the Impulsive Jazz collection that just came out - his take on Yusef Lateef's Bamboo Flute?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Yeah... The Charlie Brown... (Which is only about 30 seconds of the whole thing). It was first a mix tape which was heard and got him signed to Ninja Tune.
    Then released as a 7". But the version is a bit different than the OG tape (Which I prefer).

Are you sure it was a 7"? I thought it was a 10" (on brown wax).

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    saw him twice. once at the bowery ballroom with special guests cut chemist, turntable hobos and kuttin kandi. fire. then i saw him in prospect part at some free concert a bit after that. a very talented guy. definitely deserves a thread dedicated to him. do you like scratchin?

ur totally right. And I just sold a copy a bit ago.

• saw him twice. once at the bowery ballroom with special guests cut chemist, turntable hobos and kuttin kandi. fire. then i saw him in prospect part at some free concert a bit after that. a very talented guy. definitely deserves a thread dedicated to him. do you like scratchin?

Yo, I think I was at that PP show - he was with his band Bullfrog? Some of the best 'dj in a band' action I've ever seen. And since we're on the subject, P-Love gets respect too, as he is always backing up KK in shows. Shit is off the chain at the end of a set, they got like 2 stacks of 50 records sitting on the floor or the table next to the decks.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

ur totally right. And I just sold a copy a bit ago.

• Kid Koala is one of the best live DJs i've seen. and i recorded my new mix CD through a pre-amp that used to belong to him.

P-Love gets respect too

YES. i was hoping his name would come up in this thread. saw him on tour with sixtoo and signify and dude was just incredible. killed it on like 5 different instruments.

M

• Yeah, P is one of the more talented cats in our circle of friends (we actually put out a full length for him a little while back, it is quite good, and not just on the turntableshit....). LP is called All Up In Your Mind and is the only full length Bully LP pressed to 12" so far.

KK is one of the nicest people alive.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    I saw him play a set at a wherehouse in San Jose[/b] once.. blew my mind. He did this crazy rendition of Moon River.. everyone just stood amazed.

Much props to Kid Koala, dude started his set, played for about 10 minutes and then stopped, got on the Mic and said, the sound is real bad, if we the audience wouldn't mind. he would like to stop for now, while they fixed it. After about 20-30 minutes he jumped back on and was simply amazing. After the show we hung out (mutual friends) super nice guy, real cool and down to earth.

Yeah, P is one of the more talented cats in our circle of friends (we actually put out a full length for him a little while back, it is quite good, and not just on the turntableshit....). LP is called All Up In Your Mind and is the only full length Bully LP pressed to 12" so far.

Yeah, I've only had a chance to listen to this LP once but was very pleased with what I heard. I should try to put that on tonight when I get home - it's gotten buried in the stacks in the last few weeks.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    saw him twice. once at the bowery ballroom with special guests cut chemist, turntable hobos and kuttin kandi. fire. then i saw him in prospect part at some free concert a bit after that. a very talented guy. definitely deserves a thread dedicated to him. do you like scratchin?

Yo, I think I was at that PP show - he was with his band Bullfrog? Some of the best 'dj in a band' action I've ever seen. And since we're on the subject, P-Love gets respect too, as he is always backing up KK in shows. Shit is off the chain at the end of a set, they got like 2 stacks of 50 records sitting on the floor or the table next to the decks.

Yo I think I deejayed that show. In fact, I think I brought Signify and Cut to play in the first place. Kid Koala bear in the HOMIE.

I'd just like to add that the subtle schitt Koala did on the Deltron 3030 project was also way way cool. When I was playing that a lot I would continually hear something new he was doing with each listen. Especially if you turned it up a bit, you would hear this atmospheric stuff going on underneath all the top layers of the music.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    He's an amazing DJ and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I got to open up for him when he did a small club tour a few years back, and it was an amazing show. The dude mixed flawlessly on three turntables with no headphones.

I was kind of sitting behind him up on a riser while he was doing his set. My friend in the audience said most of the time, my mouth was hanging open in shock. I don't doubt it for a second--what he was doing was both subtle and mind-blowing.

• I saw him five years ago at the El Rey in LA with DJ Food and Amon Tobin and his set was (for me at least) the highlight of the night. Just the right mix of tricks and kicks. I went home and practiced after that show.

• saw him twice. once at the bowery ballroom with special guests cut chemist, turntable hobos and kuttin kandi. fire. then i saw him in prospect part at some free concert a bit after that. a very talented guy. definitely deserves a thread dedicated to him. do you like scratchin?

Yo I think I deejayed that show. In fact, I think I brought Signify and Cut to play in the first place. Kid Koala bear in the HOMIE.

were you still here in 2001?

• I went home and practiced after that show.
    I think that's pretty much the universal DJ's reaction to seeing one of his shows. That or deciding to quit...

• Yeah, P is one of the more talented cats in our circle of friends (we actually put out a full length for him a little while back, it is quite good, and not just on the turntableshit....). LP is called All Up In Your Mind and is the only full length Bully LP pressed to 12" so far.

That P-Love album is dope.

Need new Bully comp please!

• I went home and practiced after that show.
    I think that's pretty much the universal DJ's reaction to seeing one of his shows. That or deciding to quit...

that's the beauty of KK - none of the stuff he does is that technically complex, but it's just sooooooo creative it boggles ones mind to answer the question "How did he come up with that?!?!"

I went home and practiced after that show.

• kid koala is dudest of dudes

i met 'eric' at a record shop in MTL.. he was checkin for some blues records with his portable TT (presumably for carpal tunnel syndrome). we started talking and he offered to take me around the city and show me the record shops.. it wasn't till hours later, when i clued into it.. he mentioned his band, bullfrog, and i was like, "hey you're kid koala!"

p-love is also equally chill..both are amazing performers

if i remember correctly, they don't even use headphones during their shows..

The BOMB track he did with Dynomite D for The Now Sound Redesigned:

An Elegy [/b]

The yousendit hook-up for the Koala set I mentioned:

Kid Koala - Live Breezeblock Set[/b]

Lee.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    definitely one of the best live dj's of all time. so musical it's sick.

not into the records though...

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I went home and practiced after that show.

Co-sign.
    Saw him with Money Mark at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz many moons ago. I almost wept while he mixed with three turntables and no headphones, ending with an ill scratch of Yoda's "do or do not, there is no try" mantra.

Definitely

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Definetly love his cuts, style and musical sense but especially his creativity (the book+record thing is awesome)

I love livin in MTL where i get to see koala, sixtoo, p-love on the regular
    much love to Bully (meatyogre in the works )

You guys should cop this

Incredible performance

While we're at it I have to give props to the Monkmus video for Basin Street Blues too!
    Totally matches the mood of the track and the ending just kills me.

If you haven't seen it you can access it on the Monkmus site here:

http://www.monkmus.com/

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I got those Kid Koala playing cards, playing cribbage with my wife. Get on my level.