SCREMO

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
alright, so first off my hammie benjo bribed his students with pizza to go down to this printing press to give a presentation to some LACE and PS-1 big wigs at this printing press. he showed me their art which is pretty cool. its like all goth and shit, (oh, i forgot to mention he teaches at roosevelt in boyle heights), yeah so its all goth and this one student draws these vampy chicks and dudes and cuts them out and pastes them to regular binder paper that usually has music lyrics or some shit on it. a lot of the times its the band garbage, their lyrics. yeah so anyways its totally napoleon dynamite stylee. so then there's this one napoleon dynamite thing that's totally NOT from the eastside. like you can tell some middle class kid drew it cuz its all cutesy and hip and shit and really refined. here it isand i was like "hey benjo, them museum pussies are gonna pick this one" i mean, museums dont want that raw shit normally. every once in a while theyll take a gamble, but for the most part they want that suburban malaise bullshit. that shit that emulates some rawness, but has been refined after countless hours and dollars at art school. of course, nowadays, museums are tapping into the mental retard market. yeah, ever since that one dude, i forget his name, but he was all crazy and shit and had countless volumes of weird pictures, henry darger or something? yeah, well anyways, i also saw somewhere that some museum was scouting mental institutions and scoping out the hook rug art at one of these joints. so yeah, its the mental patient art, and this bourgeois high school art that is like the HOT shit right now.but i digress, this is about SCREMO. ever hear of SCREMO? yeah. me neither. so my boy benjo was telling me that they had a battle of the bands at his school and since its like 99.9999999% latino, there were a lot of emo/goth bands. but there was also a lot of scremo. he had to have his students explain it to him but its just like emo music where the dude screams a lot. id like to hear some of this. anyone have any?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    wheres schnipper?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I snuck into a battle of the bands with my 15 year old sister last year. I dunno why they let me in - it was supposed to be for high school kids only, and I'm like 4 feet taller than anyone there. anyhow, it was all screamo. This was in OC & shit so all these 16 year old kids have like gold top Les Pauls & full stacks of Marshalls & shit. the weird thing was, before the bands went on they were playing like Pearl Jam & kid's were like "have you ever heard of this band Pearl Jam?"

wheres schnipper?

Good question. I want Schnipper to write reviews for waxidermy. If I had money I'd pay him.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    dude...this is not your blog

• dude...this is not your blog

what are you talking about? i havent didnt mention anything about food this whole week.

a all food graemlin smorgasbord.

mmmmmmmm. smorgasbord

• I snuck into a battle of the bands with my 15 year old sister last year. I dunno why they let me in - it was supposed to be for high school kids only, and I'm like 4 feet taller than anyone there. anyhow, it was all screamo. This was in OC & shit so all these 16 year old kids have like gold top Les Pauls & full stacks of Marshalls & shit. the weird thing was, before the bands went on they were playing like Pearl Jam & kid's were like "have you ever heard of this band Pearl Jam?"

hmm. so its exactly what it sounds like. does this mean pearl jam is scremo? thats rather lame-o. theyre grunge, dogg!

I snuck into a battle of the bands with my 15 year old sister last year. I dunno why they let me in - it was supposed to be for high school kids only, and I'm like 4 feet taller than anyone there. anyhow, it was all screamo. This was in OC & shit so all these 16 year old kids have like gold top Les Pauls & full stacks of Marshalls & shit. the weird thing was, before the bands went on they were playing like Pearl Jam & kid's were like "have you ever heard of this band Pearl Jam?"

hmm. so its exactly what it sounds like. does this mean pearl jam is scremo? thats rather lame-o. theyre grunge, dogg!

no, it's not like Pearl Jam - it's all kinda like weak metal riffs with screaming but then it goes into quiet, sensative parts. I guess it helps them "poke it out", maybe?

• mmmmmmmm. smorgasbord

A Swedish word meaning "sandwich table."

Kinda lame in the literal sense.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    yeah...what are the kids up to these days? they seem so little now...

• I snuck into a battle of the bands with my 15 year old sister last year. I dunno why they let me in - it was supposed to be for high school kids only, and I'm like 4 feet taller than anyone there. anyhow, it was all screamo. This was in OC & shit so all these 16 year old kids have like gold top Les Pauls & full stacks of Marshalls & shit. the weird thing was, before the bands went on they were playing like Pearl Jam & kid's were like "have you ever heard of this band Pearl Jam?"

no, it's not like Pearl Jam - it's all kinda like weak metal riffs with screaming but then it goes into quiet, sensative parts. I guess it helps them "poke it out", maybe?
    were they lining up in that puccini, yo? cuz it dont sound like they were getting the butt dawg

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• SCREMO is the worst shit ever. evar even.

I gots yo Puccini rat here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4826290510&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

SCREMO is the worst shit ever. evar even.

'mall punk' and 'rap metal' are far worse

• this is all very unfortunate. i think my friend benjo thought his kids had invented a whole new shitty genre of music. only to find out that there's been shitty music all along.

this is all very unfortunate. i think my friend benjo thought his kids had invented a whole new shitty genre of music. only to find out that there's been shitty music all along.

this stuff has been around since the early 90s

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

I've said it a million billion trillion times. These pink/black/white color schemes have to done get gone. Come on my people. To all the 'graphic designers' out there, cut that shit out.

• this is all very unfortunate. i think my friend benjo thought his kids had invented a whole new shitty genre of music. only to find out that there's been shitty music all along.

this stuff has been around since the early 90s

really? well then, i guess the jokes on you.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    mmmmmmmm. smorgasbord

A Swedish word meaning "sandwich table."

Kinda lame in the literal sense.

this is the OG Danish Sm??rrebr??d[/b]:

... and yes, you have to have a beer and a shot of Akvavit with it

sorry, don't know anything about SCREMO.... kinda sounds like something you make in your pants.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    If you want to learn about screamo hit up my friend Jody at http://www.myspace.com/kayrad

He knows all about punk and scremo!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    but i digress, this is about SCREMO. ever hear of SCREMO? yeah. me neither. so my boy benjo was telling me that they had a battle of the bands at his school and since its like 99.9999999% latino, there were a lot of emo/goth bands. but there was also a lot of scremo. he had to have his students explain it to him but its just like emo music where the dude screams a lot. id like to hear some of this. anyone have any?

These dudes are like the poster boys of screamo, it seems like they're always on Fuse TV when I'm channelsurfing:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    xXxScreamoxXx

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    xXxScreamoxXx

Straight edge screamo?

• These dudes are like the poster boys of screamo, it seems like they're always on Fuse TV when I'm channelsurfing:

is it safe to assume that if you have this kind of hairsteez, you are indeed scremo?

• There's a bunch of scremo bands around Toronto. This place seems to be a mecca. Alexisonfire is the first thing that comes to mind. A lot of people would consider Moneen scremo, but I think they're really good.

Basically I always understood scremo to be like emo in that it's very self-reflective and inward-thinking, usually lamenting in some way, and emotional (obviously.) Scremo just takes that, and adds screaming. But in a soft, sensitive, there's-sand-in-my-vagina kind of way.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hot garbage
    id rather be forced listened to the suspect rap some people recommend on here than to even hear a second of this shit

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Basically I always understood scremo to be like emo in that it's very self-reflective and inward-thinking, usually lamenting in some way, and emotional (obviously.) Scremo just takes that, and adds screaming. But in a soft, sensitive, there's-sand-in-my-vagina kind of way.

No, the screaming that Hawthorne Heights dude does is straight up Cookie Monster death metal-like steez.

• hot garbage
    id rather be forced listened to the suspect rap some people recommend on here than to even hear a second of this shit

stupid boy

(waaaaooooooh)

stupid stupid boyeee

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i grew up with screamo. i like it. kinda.

and its ancient, too...not some new thing. c'mon.

hawthorne heights = screamo? uh....no.

by the way, that rap shit sucks. have you heard that shit? mc hammer and vanilla ice? fuck that rap shit.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    i grew up with screamo. i like it. kinda.

and its ancient, too...not some new thing. c'mon.

hawthorne heights = screamo? uh....no.

I am by no means a screamo expert, hence my simple formula above.

So I will defer to you, plaese to give examples of screamo, por favor.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    i used to listen to some local screamo, thrash, etc.

screamo has been around longer than these haircuts you see on fuse, and is pretty removed from this alexisonfire crap that's real popular in orange county. it's basically taking stuff like indian summer, current, drive like jehu, etc. and mixing it with hardcore.