shawn kemp retrospective

2»

Comments

• dude was MEAN. one of the first to skip college, right? he did a year at a JC as I remember and then said fuck it.

alas, however, he did end up an overweight cokehead. but being an overweight cokehead does not take away from earlier achievements....

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    "its not the time or place for that, son."

GRAEMLIN PLAESE?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    being an overweight cokehead is in itself an achievement....[/b]

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Kemp wasn't one of the 1st to skip college, that started a while before his time. Moses Malone for example went straight from high school to the pros and I forgot the name of the guy who actually sued the NBA so that players could do this, he was the first and I think that was the mid-1970s.

As far as Kemp goes, he was sick for his time. I have one of those NBA videos that just features him. Shit is great. The Sonics in their prime were one of my favs. And JWizz pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said Kemp had such natural talent and speed that he didn't really have to learn the game and that caught up with him. Still towards the end of his Sonics career he had one post move, a spin move baseline usually followed by a dunk, and was started to shoot a little face up dunk.

As far as comparisons with Amare, he has the dunking and sheer power of Kemp, but is SOOOOO much better. Amare has post moves all over the place that Kemp never developed, but they're still very similar.