shawn kemp retrospective

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• so random, so amazing.

kemp did the sickest "in-game" dunks of anyone that i've ever seen. the one halfway through against the knicks...through the lane, pump two-handed reverse is my favorite ever. bananas.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    the best is him stealing a gold chain from a players locker at UK.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was that muhfucka's biggest fan back in the day.

Then I found out about his inability to use a rubber and lost respect for dude. Siring a dozen kids and not helping em = x1000

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I forgot how nasty that dude was in his prime. Thanks for the post.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    dude got chubbs and his ups went pffffffffffffff

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Reign Man and The Glove was a nasty 1-2.

• Thank you, almost brings a tear to my eye. Those were sick days here in Seattle. Young Glove to The Reign Man over the shoulder alley oop! Schitt was highlight reel nightly. Plus a trip to the finals against the Bulls where Shawn averaged 24 a game.

But now. He's been arrested a few times in the past year in Seattle. Not a genius by any means...

Peace,
    Cortez

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    This one is good, too.

• he sort of set the mold for amare stoudemire .. uncanny physical gifts in his prime ..

these days though, i gotta say there's not a player in the league i like less than gary payton.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• Shawn was so physically gifted that he didn't really have to learn the game. Shit ended up catching up with him when he gained all that weight. Dude was was beasting anybody out there in his prime, even trucker ass Malone. I used to wonder what would have happened if clown ass Wally Walker wouldn't have signed McIllvaine and we would have kept Kemp and the squad in tact. We're still trying to get rid of this clown Walker. I think my dad would actually swing on dude if he saw him in the streets. His hatred runs deep.

Him and Gary used to do some retarded shit out there. Lobs off the backboard in crunch time etc.. Its sad to see what happened to him but he's doin good. He's still got big yaper, takes care of his kids and brought Popeyes to Seattle! lol. I got the road Kemp jersey in the closet. Glad Mitchell and Ness finally brought that out.

• well there was that talk of him making a comeback this season - apparently he dropped 40 or 50 pounds and was in great shape, but like you said, i don't think he ever quite knew the game well enough to be able to keep up at his age.

he also gave up quite a lot of money when he agreed to that buyout with the blazers. not many guys would be willing to accept that they aren't worth what they're being paid anymore like he did ...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Wow. I recall when I thought he was going to be something special. Something historic. But he could never play a full game. And then came the summer of 2000.
    Don't forget McMillan and Detlef Schrempf, either.

• Big Paper Daddy!!!

• i used to love shawn kemps game when he busted into the league...i figured he was going to be the second coming of christ. everyone was rocking all kind of sports gear in early high school and i remembered seeing some airbrushed things, so i asked this real artisitc girl to make me a shawn kemp shirt. she drew a real ill shirt of him with him about to tomahawk the ball...it was done off a photo and she painted it real precise. might still have it around somewhere. it was sad when shawn kemp couldnt realize his potential.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    SHAWN KEMP.

cradling the rock down the lane, splitting his legs, and flushing = CLASSIC SHIT.

AWWWWW, SUCH GOOD MEMORIES.....

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    wait dude never won a slam dunk title right? i heard he couldnt palm a basketball which affected his ability to do even crazier shit...

but seriously, the reignman was legit. dude had vicious dunks like dominique wilkins.

-rich

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    93-94 Sonics

Gary Payton
    Kendall Gill
    Detlef Schrempf
    Shawn Kemp
    Sam Perkins
    Ricky Pierce
    Nate Mcmillan
    Vincent Askew
    Michael Cage
    Ervin Johnson

• 93-94 Sonics

Gary Payton
    Kendall Gill
    Detlef Schrempf
    Shawn Kemp
    Sam Perkins
    Ricky Pierce
    Nate Mcmillan
    Vincent Askew
    Michael Cage
    Ervin not so magic[/b] Johnson

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    wait dude never won a slam dunk title right? i heard he couldnt palm a basketball which affected his ability to do even crazier shit...

He was wack in the slam dunk contest. Strictly an in-game dunker (which in a way is even more impressive... ain't too many dudes toppin' that highlight reel).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Anyone remember in 1992 there was almost a trade that would have sent
    Gary Payton and Benoit Benjamin to Houston for
    Hakeem Olajuwon and Kenny Smith

that would have been the steal of the century for Seattle

• break out the 90-91 Skybox,Fleer, and Hoops rookie cards

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Anyone remember in 1992 there was almost a trade that would have sent
    Gary Payton and Benoit Benjamin to Houston for
    Hakeem Olajuwon and Kenny Smith

that would have been the steal of the century for Seattle

Also, right after Jordan retired, wasn't there a lot of talk about shipping Kemp to Chicago for Scottie Pippin? Glad that never happened...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Time to break out my Kemp jersey and my Sonics action figures.

Note: I only bought a Kemp jersey because there were no Payton jerseys available in Austin circa '93-94.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Kemp was probably the most ridiculous in game dunker I ever saw. I don't think too many NBA cats could even come close to a highlight reel like his. Dukes posterized so MANY cats back in the day.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Kemp is the only dude to ever dunk on someone so hard that dude gave him daps right afterwards on some "Damn, you sonned me."

That Sonics squad was so amazing. Sure the Bulls won 72, but the Sonics won like 67 or something almost as ridiculous.

*sigh*

GO SEAHAWKS!

-e

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Does anyone have a clip of the[/b] Tom Chambers dunk?

• Kemp was nice enough to autograph one of those Gatorade scoring cards they give fans at the Slam Dunk Contest, back in '91, when i was at the all-star game in charlotte. If anyone is interested, PM me, if i can find it, we can make a trade.

Other nba ballers were not as friendly. Isiah Thomas, my favorite player at the time, completely me at an event where I was the only kid in the room. He told me that "its not the time or place for that, son."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    although i remember when GP was the sports illustrated college b-ball player of the year, i still thought sam "big smoove" perkins had the sweetest style... plus he's a raer jazz head.