The Apollo Stars- power of source lp

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Can someone lead me in the direction to a link or a soundclip of this lp? Would be much appreciated! I want to know what scientology funk sounds like. (noBeck)

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    not too impressive if I remember correctly. More kitsch than quality for sure.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    any vocals? or is it more in the funky jazz realm?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    when I ran it on the big bird player I didn't remember any vocals, however it was just a needle skip so don't quote me on that.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Would be much appreciated! I want to know what scientology funk looks like.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    I have it - picked it up for $1 a while back. It's really not that exciting - they sorta try to get funky but in a 'sloppy fusion players who aren't very good' sorta way. No vocals.

I have an MP3 at home, I think. I can post later...

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    I have it - picked it up for $1 a while back. It's really not that exciting - they sorta try to get funky but in a 'sloppy fusion players who aren't very good' sorta way. No vocals.

Hmm, I can??t part the opinions above.

There are really monster drums played at incredible speed and with a lot of power, weird jazz stuff that??s the true opposite to laid back CTI music of course.

Maybe it would sound cheezy for me too if I had the chance of grabbing a vide variety of US recordings cheap but compared to the records that are around here that one is outstanding somehow.

Seb

• awallawall 673 Posts

Hmm, I can??t part the opinions above.

There are really monster drums played at incredible speed and with a lot of power, weird jazz stuff that??s the true opposite to laid back CTI music of course.

Maybe it would sound cheezy for me too if I had the chance of grabbing a vide variety of US recordings cheap but compared to the records that are around here that one is outstanding somehow.

Seb

I agree w/seb, this record is fucking awesome. raw as fuck. there's screeching sax solos, vicious funky flute, weird chanting and two drum breaks (one of which, as mentioned before, is 160+ bpm, 3 mintues long and has two drummers at once). most of it is fast as hell. this sound clip should do it justice:

here

I don't know, a tenor player blowing his heart out in the name of dianetics seems to me.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    give L. Ron props

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I agree w/seb, this record is fucking awesome. raw as fuck. there's screeching sax solos, vicious funky flute, weird chanting and two drum breaks (one of which, as mentioned before, is 160+ bpm, 3 mintues long and has two drummers at once). most of it is fast as hell. this sound clip should do it justice:

here

I had this album many years ago and I sold it cheap. Haven't thought of it for years. Remember it as being agressive and uptempo and the chanting vocals reminded me of some kind of death cult gettogether. Now, hearing this skipthough I actually find it quite interesting. I probably just wasn't ready for scientology funk back then.

I have another L Ron Hubbard album, though: "Space Jazz" (Applause, 1982). It's the soundtrack to his sci-fi bestseller "Battefield Earth" ??? yup, the one that was turned into a box-office dud starring John Travolta. It features Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke and is only interesting as novelty record in my opinion.

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts

I have another L Ron Hubbard album, though: "Space Jazz" (Applause, 1982). It's the soundtrack to his sci-fi bestseller "Battefield Earth" – yup, the one that was turned into a box-office dud starring John Travolta. It features Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke and is only interesting as novelty record in my opinion.

Yes! I really was QUITE disappointed about "Battlefield Earth" as the cover artwork and rumour about the books really promise a lot.

But in fact it??s just lame 80s average synthie blem blem so if to diss an album by LRon I would hate on that one !

Seb

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    hey man, thanks for the soundclip. thats some frantic sounding shit! I'm kind of in the middle if I like or it not. Part of me wants it and part of me says "how much are you gonna listen to this thing?".

Any more info? Is this record outta California? How many you think were made? Thanks.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    "In 1973 L. Ron Hubbard developed an incredible new sound in music"

"L. Ron Hubbard is an acknowledged professional in many fields. His movie experience and his early days as a professional singer come again publicly to light in the brilliant presentation of the STARS"

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

here

I had this album many years ago and I sold it cheap. Haven't thought of it for years. Remember it as being agressive and uptempo and the chanting vocals reminded me of some kind of death cult gettogether. Now, hearing this skipthough I actually find it quite interesting. I probably just wasn't ready for scientology funk back then.

I have another L Ron Hubbard album, though: "Space Jazz" (Applause, 1982). It's the soundtrack to his sci-fi bestseller "Battefield Earth" ??? yup, the one that was turned into a box-office dud starring John Travolta. It features Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke and is only interesting as novelty record in my opinion.

Actually picked up the SpaceJazz album just a couple of weeks ago (price: very close to nothing),... I listened to it once, then put it in the get-the-fuck-outta-here-crate !!!
    Also had the Apollo Stars joint (years ago),...can't say that I dug it much,.. I remember it as hype and kinda messy,...dope cover though !
    peace-