BACK UP THOSE FILES!!!

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
just a friendly reminder to back up those mp3s you all been DLing. after much effort i can finally see my external hard drive again with all my mp3s. that was scary. luckily i had recently backed them all up, so i wasnt that scared. but still... now i need to backup the backup. this has been a public servic announcement from your local dildo affilliate.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    just a friendly reminder to back up those mp3s you all been DLing. after much effort i can finally see my external hard drive again with all my mp3s. that was scary. luckily i had recently backed them all up, so i wasnt that scared. but still...

now i need to backup the backup.

this has been a public servic announcement from your local dildo affilliate.

I shoulda listened to this a few weeks ago

Guzzo's Hard Drive RIP
    (2003-2006)

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

now i need to backup the backup.

SG

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    guess im a couple weeks late. sorry homie.

remember, its not a question of IF your hard drive will fail, its a question of WHEN.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

backed up, thanks

• I dropped 240 gigs of data this week... don't even fucking ask how.
    It sucks sucks sucks.
    Accepting donations in the form of not having to re-rip all my reyurz.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    I dropped 240 gigs of data this week... don't even fucking ask how.
    It sucks sucks sucks.
    Accepting donations in the form of not having to re-rip all my reyurz.

ouch.

i need to start backing up some more backups.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    remember, its not a question of IF your hard drive will fail, its a question of WHEN.

Peoples, external drives, blank DVDs, etc are way cheap now, so there's no excuse for not backing up your stuff.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    dissected my powerbook this afternoon, pulled the 80G HD out and removed and swapped platters and was able to recover 100% of the data that seemed to be gone with the wind last week. double back ups completed as of this evening. good luck to everyone going through the recovery process. i recommend downloading detailed schematics and disassembly instructions for your specific hardware, but... yeah, backup and backup again.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DVD BACKUP
    EXTERNAL DRIVE BACKUP
    INTERNAL DRIVE ON THE DESKTOP BACKUP
    IPOD BACKUP (FOR TEXT FILES)

SO NECESSARY

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    DVD BACKUP
    EXTERNAL DRIVE BACKUP

SO NECESSARY

do you ever get your backups confused?

• Another cosign on this...computer started acting funny yesterday, and I've spent all night tonight burning our files for back up. Scarred shitless for while there.

One other thing for Mac users. My sister works at the Apple Store, and knows all about Macs and is selling me on the '.mac' feature you can purchase. Along with an email addy, and storage, it will automatically back up your files whenever you log in. Service costs $100 (don't know if that's a one time/annual fee) but, just another avenue to explore.

Either way, as Juvenile once said...BACK THAT AZZ UP!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    DVD BACKUP

EXTERNAL DRIVE BACKUP

SO NECESSARY

Check on the 1st 3 - using Norton Ghost for base and incremental (every week) backups... Trying to get the HD down to just the bare essentials: i.e. programs - and data archived elsewhere as aforementioned... 'Bout to get an external shared drive (minimum 300 Gigs) and do the same for the other composter...

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    dissected my powerbook this afternoon, pulled the 80G HD out and removed and swapped platters and was able to recover 100% of the data that seemed to be gone with the wind last week. double back ups completed as of this evening. good luck to everyone going through the recovery process. i recommend downloading detailed schematics and disassembly instructions for your specific hardware, but... yeah, backup and backup again.

Congrats.

• Iv got mine on DVD. How long does a DVD last? Does the ink from the sharpy slowly sink in and screw up the disc?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DVD BACKUP
    EXTERNAL DRIVE BACKUP

SO NECESSARY

Check on the 1st 3 - using Norton Ghost for base and incremental (every week) backups... Trying to get the HD down to just the bare essentials: i.e. programs - and data archived elsewhere as aforementioned... 'Bout to get a external shared drive (minimum 300 Gigs) and do the same for the other composter...
    norton ghost is also so necessary. for my desktop i installed windows, got rid of all the bullshit, installed all the shit i needed, made sure all of it worked, and then made an image of it. funny thing is that i have a backup of that image on dvd, external drive, and my second internal drive on that desktop. i would recommend norton ghost for anyone using a pc just because you're going to have to reinstall windows at some point in time.