Deadbeat Seller Alert/ Pls Help Me Get My $$ back

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
*Warning to all*

Beware the record seller Kyle Humphries. He has offered several LP's to several strutters and sells on Ebay as well under the name "recordsandstyle"

He sold me a James Mason LP that I paid prioirty shipping on and was promised in VG+/VG+

What I got was a G+/VG- LP sent to me a month after I paid for it via media mail.

while waiting for the record to arrive he promised to pay the $4 difference on shipping which he never sent

and he agreed to take the record back and refund the money which he hasn't sent back wither.

I've tried to handle things privately but I can only be screwed over so much before I feel like its right to put a dealer on blast.

I know some people that post on here know him. If any of you guys can do something to help me get my money back it would be much appreciated.

-Adam

PS i made this transaction through paypal. I think someone I read about a way to get a refund or put a freeze on the money that was sent. Can someone please let me know how to do this?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just tried talking to dude through IM here is how it went down

GUZZO (12:09:55 AM): I'd really just like to get the money back I sent under false pretenses and end this transaction

kwh313 (12:09:56 AM): what is a record with audible noise thruout the entire record called if my james mason is g+

kwh313 (12:10:30 AM): i didn't even wanna sell it for 175, don't you remember that?

GUZZO (12:10:37 AM): it was described as clean VG+ and that is why I dropped that money

kwh313 (12:10:38 AM): i was being nice and also i needed loot

GUZZO (12:11:00 AM): its not nice to misrepresent the item your selling

kwh313 (12:11:07 AM): vg+ doesn't mean mint

kwh313 (12:11:15 AM): it means very good plus

GUZZO(12:11:25 AM): which the record wasn't

kwh313 (12:11:38 AM): the record looks g+

kwh313 (12:11:41 AM): plays vg+

kwh313 (12:11:58 AM): unless you are super picky, i know most would agree

kwh313 (12:12:11 AM): i'm sending your money back

kwh313 (12:12:25 AM): i don't know why you opened a dispute in paypal

kwh313 (12:13:02 AM): and i think it's funny that you think that i misrepresented my record

GUZZO(12:13:30 AM): I opened a dispute cause you misrepresented the record and the shipping, both of which I was patient with but once I was told I'd just have to sit and wait til you felt you had to pay me back It became apparent that I'd have to do something

kwh313 (12:13:47 AM): why?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    i made this transaction through paypal. I think someone I read about a way to get a refund or put a freeze on the money that was sent. Can someone please let me know how to do this?

I know if it's for an ebay payment you can do it..I'm not sure how it works for other transaction. Either way, the sooner you act the better. Good luck.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i made this transaction through paypal. I think someone I read about a way to get a refund or put a freeze on the money that was sent. Can someone please let me know how to do this?

I know if it's for an ebay payment you can do it..I'm not sure how it works for other transaction. Either way, the sooner you act the better. Good luck.

yeah non-ebay purchases don't get the same protection. I'm going to call paypal tomorrow and plead my case again.

At the very least this guy should be known about and other people shouldn't have to make the same mistake I did in dealing with him.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    sing him that bobby brown song that you sang on my voicemail last night... he'll totally bend over once that's in his ear.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    DON'T BE CRUEL

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Guzzo, fuck a deadbeat seller like that.

Man, I've been burnt only a handful of times (thanks again Hostyle), but these days I'm trigger happy with the fucking paypal complaint. If a seller even looks like he's gonna fuck me I just put the complaint in. Sometimes the seller emails you after that, and I just say plain and simple, "I'm covering my ass." Most of them are actually quite understanding, and the day the record turns up (in adequate condition!) I cancel the complaint and everyone's happy.

So alls I'm saying is, take advantage of the protocols put in place ot protect buyers from shady dealers.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

yeah non-ebay purchases don't get the same protection. I'm going to call paypal tomorrow and plead my case again.

At the very least this guy should be known about and other people shouldn't have to make the same mistake I did in dealing with him.

But you do still get protection. I've got a refund more than once (and in one case in error) for a non-ebay related purchase. There's probably a time frame, but it's protection none-the-less.

• You know, I wish people would all just use the same grading scale. To me, it's hard for any record to be above VG+ unless it's sealed or just impeccably clean. When I list records on eBay if I play it and hear any surface noise at all I'm hesitant to list it above VG, and VG+ is reserved for pretty much minty fresh copies of things. For somebody to list something as VG+ when in reality it's merely G+ is just dumbth. And then to jerk you around on the shipping too? Not cool.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

But you do still get protection. I've got a refund more than once (and in one case in error) for a non-ebay related purchase. There's probably a time frame, but it's protection none-the-less.

45 days...since he took over a month to send it to you I'm guessing the 45 days is up, but if not file a claim with Paypal ASAP!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You know, I wish people would all just use the same grading scale. To me, it's hard for any record to be above VG+ unless it's sealed or just impeccably clean. When I list records on eBay if I play it and hear any surface noise at all I'm hesitant to list it above VG, and VG+ is reserved for pretty much minty fresh copies of things. For somebody to list something as VG+ when in reality it's merely G+ is just dumbth. And then to jerk you around on the shipping too? Not cool.

newjack digger types and oldschool deejay types often have NO CLUE when it comes to grading and it is CAUSING PROBLEMS

a seller I've had problems with recently thinks if a record is not 'like new' then it is 'near mint'... as in: scratches, beat the fuck-up sleeve, etc is NEAR MINT...

• You know, I wish people would all just use the same grading scale. To me, it's hard for any record to be above VG+ unless it's sealed or just impeccably clean. When I list records on eBay if I play it and hear any surface noise at all I'm hesitant to list it above VG, and VG+ is reserved for pretty much minty fresh copies of things. For somebody to list something as VG+ when in reality it's merely G+ is just dumbth. And then to jerk you around on the shipping too? Not cool.

newjack digger types and oldschool deejay types often have NO CLUE when it comes to grading and it is CAUSING PROBLEMS

a seller I've had problems with recently thinks if a record is not 'like new' then it is 'near mint'... as in: scratches, beat the fuck-up sleeve, etc is NEAR MINT...

Not aiming at you but I find that you get what you pay for. 100% feedback and reliable grading on ebay are a must. If you go with some junk seller or wannabe record dealer or some guy who just consigned a collection telling the guy, "this stuff'll go crazy on that there eeee-bay" then you are gonna get VG special with grandma's doodoo stuck to the inner sleeve.

I have really just stopped buying on ebay, unless from a trusted seller. It's just.not.worth.it. I buy too many records in the real world.

Save your $$ and fuck with AP or Funkyou! or TSL any number of other dudes (ME!) or go down to the next show in your area or whatever. Buying records from ebay sellers with no rep is for the birds.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This pisses me off when these newjack wigga dickwads start praying on soulstrutters. Kyle would IM me asking if I wanted said James Mason and a Stark Reality with only one of the records????

His IMs screamed little dude alert... and surrounding Texas natives told me to stay away. Keep away from this chump! He needs to be put through the ringer if he intends to think he's a record dealer.

• btw James Mason for $175 is no deal

btw James Mason for $175 is no deal

Seriously.. when you can get the MP3s for free off:

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    You know, I wish people would all just use the same grading scale. To me, it's hard for any record to be above VG+ unless it's sealed or just impeccably clean. When I list records on eBay if I play it and hear any surface noise at all I'm hesitant to list it above VG, and VG+ is reserved for pretty much minty fresh copies of things. For somebody to list something as VG+ when in reality it's merely G+ is just dumbth. And then to jerk you around on the shipping too? Not cool.

Not aiming at you but I find that you get what you pay for. 100% feedback and reliable grading on ebay are a must. If you go with some junk seller or wannabe record dealer or some guy who just consigned a collection telling the guy, "this stuff'll go crazy on that there eeee-bay" then you are gonna get VG special with grandma's doodoo stuck to the inner sleeve.

I have really just stopped buying on ebay, unless from a trusted seller. It's just.not.worth.it. I buy too many records in the real world.

Save your $$ and fuck with AP or Funkyou! or TSL any number of other dudes (ME!) or go down to the next show in your area or whatever. Buying records from ebay sellers with no rep is for the birds.

^^^^^^^^^

Cosigning what he said.

I disagree. I have been buying for 7 years and would say that this happened to me once out of a thousand transactions.

While these sellers are top notch... I RARELY fuck with them. Way too many Swiss and French ballers to compete with. There are a ton of lesser known reputable dealers with great feedback who you can deliver the goods as well as the franchise names like AP and Funkyou! Just have to be vigilant about low feedback dudes and antique dealers... It's not hard.

I hear ya... this recent problem guy actually had hundreds of positives (inc at least one Strutter whom I respect!) and a couple negs, which I don't think were even about condition issues. He was a deejay selling off his collection and his idea on condition was and is what I stated above. And he's still selling the shit. Near Mint.

He also intentionally boosted shipping way above actual costs but was happy to refund that... stands by his grading though...

I hear ya... this recent problem guy actually had hundreds of positives (inc at least one Strutter whom I respect!) and a couple negs, which I don't think were even about condition issues. He was a deejay selling off his collection and his idea on condition was and is what I stated above. And he's still selling the shit. Near Mint.

He also intentionally boosted shipping way above actual costs but was happy to refund that... stands by his grading though...

Yeah.. I as a seller am scared of that grade. I only use it if I cracked open a sealed record and put it on the table once. It does irk me that folks think they are going to get a flawless record when the VG+ grade is used. From my experience, when You get a VG+ record at TSL (which is in the bargain bin most likely) it's going to have marks and there will be some slight noise .

I disagree. I have been buying for 7 years and would say that this happened to me once out of a thousand transactions.

While these sellers are top notch... I RARELY fuck with them. Way too many Swiss and French ballers to compete with. There are a ton of lesser known reputable dealers with great feedback who you can deliver the goods as well as the franchise names like AP and Funkyou! Just have to be vigilant about low feedback dudes and antique dealers... It's not hard.

I rarely buy from ebay... and while I do ONLY deal with those who are clearly record dealers and whose feedback is straight (best believe I do my homework) I've been screwed at least five times now... and by screwed I mean either condition or pressing was not as stated, or the one time that I was fucked over entirely by a scam artist... I'm talking triple-digit positives, few or no negs, doesn't sell anything but wax...

I rarely buy from ebay... and while I do ONLY deal with those who are clearly record dealers and whose feedback is straight (best believe I do my homework) I've been screwed at least five times now... and by screwed I mean either condition or pressing was not as stated, or the one time that I was fucked over entirely by a scam artist... I'm talking triple-digit positives, few or no negs, doesn't sell anything but wax...

Sounds like I've been lucky. Only time I've been burned is for a Breaking Bread LP that was stated "VG+" and arrived looking like it was dragged across a church basement... and of course, he replied all sales are final.

• Yeah I would say you are lucky... I mean, on the one hand, I am super anal about it because if I'm buying it for resale it's gotta be "E" not "VG+" or "VG+" not "VG"... but I regularly got stuff a grade or two under what was advertised, and this was from people that actively sell records. I have just decided that some people put the hustle above the quality. One thing I always think about is this - say I buy a record, I can't see very well, I get it back to the house or the shop and it's in much worse condition than I thought. OK, you can't sell a beat record as a clean one just because you overpaid - you have to keep your rep intact and take the loss (or the break-even). A lot of these ebay sellers I think would just rather overgrade a record and sort it out later. I also think the majority of them don't use proper lighting.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Sounds like I've been lucky. Only time I've been burned is for a Breaking Bread LP that was stated "VG+" and arrived looking like it was dragged across a church basement... and of course, he replied all sales are final.

I try to avoid anyone hawking records with an "all sales final" disclaimer.

The only time I've ever complained was when I got a copy of the People's Choice 45 on Wood City that was advertised as NM stock, but showed up looking weak VG with PAINT on the first 5-6 grooves of the B-side. Dude refunded me 50% of the price plus shipping and I was happy enough.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I bought my Lightmen from the dude that ripped off guzzo and it arrived perfectly. Condition was perfect and he shipped it priority. It's weird how sometimes sellers will build up positives and run a good e-business and then just fall off. BTW. theres another seller offering a stark reality with only one record...hmmm.

• yea but your lightmen was an ebay transaction and guzzos was a set sale. people feel like they can screw you on non-ebay transactions for the lack of feedback and difficulty with chargebacks.

this dude obviously just fucked himself though. we all know how many people look at soulstrut. my joke link to my shrinkwraped fleetwood mac rumors on ebay resulted in 200 plus hits to a record that would normally get 10 hits.

you know i get a lot of PM sob stories on fucked up soulstrut trade shit. i have had some bad ones too. guzzo told me about a couple of other ones such as the warped hilton felton that never got refunded and some other shit too. what the fuck you guys?

and raj. you should be bidding my auctions. i need some more bids.

later,

ap

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    follow up on all. the dude said he'd pay me back. Unfortunately he is saying he'll pay me back at his leisure.

I unfortunately made the mistake of trusting this "deale1r" without asking aorund. I usually have very smooth business transactions and never expected to have dude fuck me over.

If dudes down in Texas that know him can help insure that I get my dough back i'd be very greatful. I've also gotten several PM's from other strutters telling me more shady shit about dude.

I haven't passed the 45 day mark on paypal but when I went to do a dispute resolution with them I got a message saying that they don't handle disputes based on the quality of the item they only handle disputes when the item has not been shipped. My worry right now is that I shipped the item back asking for a refund. He said ok, and then said he'd pay me back "eventually".

the dispute is considered closed when I try to access it through the site, should I call paypal and tell them the deal or is not going to matter?

• You should go down to texas and handle that shit like a man

• Options
    Goldie Alexander?

K.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Goldie Alexander?

K.

if I had the money in my account

• if the dispute is " closed " that's it.

you need to get the money back from Kyle. when someone says they will pay you back at their lesiure it means they no longer have the money you sent them.

you would be better off getting the record back from him and having me sell it for you. i sold a copy for $260 last month. i could most likely get you most of your dough back.

ap

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    If you go with some junk seller or wannabe record dealer or some guy who just consigned a collection telling the guy, "this stuff'll go crazy on that there eeee-bay"

Actual conversation between the owner of a Pawn shop I was in (I was buying a $2 mint copy of Todd Rundgren's 'Something/Anything'), me and some random dude who came in and was all "Wow records! I got a ton of those at home, like at least 50!":

ME: "Yeah, some folks like me still buy LPs"

OWNER: "I sell 'em on eBay sometimes if they are valuable. You ever heard of Prince? He has a record called The Black Album that's worth over $2000!!"

RANDOM OLD HESHER DUDE: "No shit! $2000?"

OWNER: "Some of those Beatles records too, but they gotta be old."

RANDOM OLD HESHER DUDE: "No Shit! Wow!"

ME: "Yeah, wow. Gotta run."