Ghostface "Fish Scale" Album Cover:

Comments

• but who else is doing that? edan? i don't think he comes close to ghost on any level.

well, let's be fair: edan's a better producer than ghost.

Edan is a top beatmaker. No one comes close to him & he's yet to make a beat that sounds to me. Ghost has a dope flow, but his rhymes make no sense.

In a freestyle, Edan torches Ghost.

Let's stop this arguement while it's still fresh.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

but who else is doing that? edan? i don't think he comes close to ghost on any level.

Edan is a top beatmaker. No one comes close to him & he's yet to make a beat that sounds to me. Ghost has a dope flow, but his rhymes make no sense.

BY SAYING GHOST'S RHYMES MAKE NO SENSE YOU ARE SAYING YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE REAL SCHITT. GHOST IS THAT REAL SCHITT ARM LEG LEG ARM HEAD DO THE KNOWLEDGE GOD

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    IN HONOR OF THIS THREAD I WILL BRING BACK MY OLD GHOSTFACE AVATAR

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

but who else is doing that? edan? i don't think he comes close to ghost on any level.

BY SAYING GHOST'S RHYMES MAKE NO SENSE YOU ARE SAYING YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE REAL SCHITT. GHOST IS THAT REAL SCHITT ARM LEG LEG ARM HEAD DO THE KNOWLEDGE GOD

Scientists claim
    they no longer know things
    a dog takes a shit
    on the floor & grows wings

• "peace to mankind ghostface carry a black nine...n***a!!"

• Ghost has a dope flow, but his rhymes make no sense.

nonsense.

Actually Ghost is underrated as a story-teller. See "Malcolm," "Motherless Child," "Heaven and Hell," I could go on...

Sure he's got the attention deficit rhyme thing going on sometimes, but that's only one part of the Ghost package (no ayo). See, unlike most rappers out there Ghost actually has multiple styles. Not many rappers do.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    No popular rappers but I assume plenty of underground rap dudes would. Wasn't that same track already used by Doom?

i must be unfairly sleeping on the 120 bpm underground rap trend.

Oh. okay... you're talking about the speed of the track. I was just talking about the overall sound, in comparison to what I thought was the much more popular hyphy and snap and trap music styles of today. I dunno, man, i don't even think about schitt like that. I'm an old head, BITD muthafuckas rapped to fast schitt, slow schitt, whatever... just so long as it was THAT REAL SCHITT???. Hmmm, maybe somebody out there who listens to a lot of underground rap can name some recent tracks where dudes are rapping to fast beats. I have no idea. I see what you're saying though. I think. I'll learn eventually...

• Ok, so i'm "new" to post here, so forgive the random intrusion, but how can ANYONE put Ghost and Edan in the same sentence even? Seriously, that's silly.

From ANY angle you check from, Ghost is runnin circles around Edan. I guess an argument can be made that Edan is more pregressive in regards to beats, but then again, Ghost has to appeal to a much wider audience, so i'm sure he can't get as Ghost as even he'd like... But as far as "commercial"/"mainstream" music, Ghost is pretty damn progressive.

To even compare them lyrically is a waste.

I'm heated by this comparison, and i'm an Edan fan.

• ghost producing holla > anything edan has ever made

and while we're on this ridiculous subject, plaese to explain what "production" ghost did on holla?

anyone? i mean, I could play a Delfonics record from beginning to end, but I don't call that "production."

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Y'all are really scaring me with your embracing of the real schitt. I think I'd be much more comfortable if you called Ghost a played out old dude who's style of music had it's time but now has passed. This is all just too confusing for me.

• Actually Ghost is underrated as a story-teller. See "Malcolm," "Motherless Child," "Heaven and Hell," I could go on...

Word, I agree. He's always been a Wu highlight for me personally. Plus, he's got that hype delivery and guntalk down to a science. I don't know, there's something about hearing stories I can relate to...

But for real, nobody turns a loser-ass beat into a winner like Ghost. And that Charlie Brown song is a prime example, IMO.

and while we're on this ridiculous subject, plaese to explain what "production" ghost did on holla?

anyone? i mean, I could play a Delfonics record from beginning to end, but I don't call that "production."

on 2nd thought he did patch in those ODB grunts.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Ghost has a dope flow, but his rhymes make no sense.

nonsense.

Actually Ghost is underrated as a story-teller. See "Malcolm," "Motherless Child," "Heaven and Hell," I could go on...

I think ghost is dope & the beat on "Malcolm" is hot as hell, but the words barely make sense. I dig it, tho.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I think I'd be much more comfortable if you called Ghost a played out old dude who's style of music had it's time but now has passed. This is all just too confusing for me.

Me too.

I could play a Delfonics record from beginning to end

But you didn't - Ghost did, and he laced rhymes over it that perfectly matched to make a full song that is fucking great. That is the essence of "production" IMO.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    THE ONE THING THAT WOULD MAKE MY CYPHER COMPLETE IN THE 06 WOULD BE A COLLABO BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING TWO INDIVIDUALS:

WITH A SLAP PRODUCEDBY THIS MAN:

But you didn't - Ghost did, and he laced rhymes over it that perfectly matched to make a full song that is fucking great. That is the essence of "production" IMO.

yeah, but how does that compare with Edan's making a beat from scratch (samples notwithstanding) that also laced rhymes over it that perfectly matched to make a full song that is fucking great?

whatever. Edan is a dope producer/MC while Ghost is a really dope MC who has had some dope production concepts. apples and oranges to me.

yeah, but how does that compare with Edan's making a beat from scratch (samples notwithstanding) that also laced rhymes over it that perfectly matched to make a full song that is fucking great?

whatever. Edan is a dope producer/MC while Ghost is a really dope MC who has had some dope production concepts. apples and oranges to me.

I would totally agree that it's apples and oranges, I wasn't gonna weigh in on the production aspect at all. Comparing them as MCs though, man you gotta be trippin (no disrespect HAZ) to think they're even on the same level.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Y'all are really scaring me with your embracing of the real schitt. I think I'd be much more comfortable if you called Ghost a played out old dude who's style of music had it's time but now has passed. This is all just too confusing for me.

ghost is by far my favorite rapper of all time. ghost has stayed with the times and still repped shit in his own way.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ghost producing holla > anything edan has ever made

BEATS VS PRODUCTION

WHO WINS?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    THE ONE THING THAT WOULD MAKE MY CYPHER COMPLETE IN THE 06 WOULD BE A COLLABO BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING TWO INDIVIDUALS:

WITH A SLAP PRODUCER BY THIS MAN:

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    didn't edan post here a month ago or something?

I am an edan fan but even he will admit his name does not belong in this discussion.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

yo i like Edan's music and all, but all dude does is loop up old psych records, doesnt even add drums, and alot of times doesnt even loop them up! and ya'll are criticizing ghost for rapping over "lala", come on now. and whoever said Edan makes beats from scratch, please check your edan discog.

but the real point is, ghost shits ALL OVER edan lyrically. Edan's whole career doesnt culminate to one line from ghost

• edan??? stop playin.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Oh. okay... you're talking about the speed of the track. I was just talking about the overall sound, in comparison to what I thought was the much more popular hyphy and snap and trap music styles of today. I dunno, man, i don't even think about schitt like that. I'm an old head, BITD muthafuckas rapped to fast schitt, slow schitt, whatever... just so long as it was THAT REAL SCHITT???. Hmmm, maybe somebody out there who listens to a lot of underground rap can name some recent tracks where dudes are rapping to fast beats. I have no idea. I see what you're saying though. I think. I'll learn eventually...

well phill i think you're kind of getting at my point, i feel a lot of the real schitt underground rappers are very unidimensional and have this idealistic REAL SCHITT formula they stick to for 70 minutes. more often than not the end result seems both contrived and boring. these dudes can't (or don't) rap fast. they can't (or don't) write great stories, etc., etc. ghost's REAL SCHITT is more varied, more organic and simultaneously experimental. all this despite being very much an ode to the "golden era." it's not that we (collectively speaking for the real schitt hatters of the world) are giving ghost more lenience merely because he is ghost, it's because he really takes it somewhere else completely, while working with similar ideals.

i guess what i'm saying is that he upholds the ideals of the "golden era"/real schitt/true school without sticking so rigidly to the (percieved and detrimental) formula.

and it goes without saying that i absolutely love every track on the ghostface sampler (even the ne-yo song) and will be skipping-high-school-to-go-to-the-record-store-on-tuesday giddy to buy this shit when it drops.

• 'bout to save hip hop like ghost did the wu'

freddie foxxx

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

but the real point is, ghost shits ALL OVER edan lyrically.

Oh no you didn't!

• why is this ghost v. edan conversation even happening ...I'm baffled. Yall are sounding like insane little dudes.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    why is this ghost v. edan conversation even happening ...I'm baffled. Yall are sounding like insane little dudes.

• why is this ghost v. edan conversation even happening ...I'm baffled. Yall are sounding like insane little dudes.

ghostdini

vs.

edan

I like edan, but SERIOUSLY NOW