A few ebay questions.

LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
What up with these 'private' ebay accounts? Seems way , and why do they always outbid me on shit?And for you status sellers.. do you guys offer refunds for the most part? I got a record Im unhappy with and dude won't offer a refund. , in my opinion.Peace out.

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    My favorite is the "You're item must have been lost in the mail."

Yeah right.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    My favorite is the "You're item must have been lost in the mail."

Yeah right.

thats why I always buy insurance. Even paypal has insurance...worth every penny.

• I got the record, and dude has a great feedback rating, but won't offer me a refund. Maybe I'm just a picky bastard but said record does NOT sound "excellent".

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I am far from "baller status" as a seller, but I always offer refunds.

• I am far from "baller status" as a seller, but I always offer refunds.

I should rephrase to 'power seller' status.

Power sellers scare me.

• Power sellers scare me.

They were chasing me down Pico last night.

• Yeah, I agree,sellers who don't refund suck. Just had to leave bad feedback today for a record I paid for in november that hasn't arrived...The seller kept promising a refund but didn't come through with the goods.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, that's the worst -
    when dudes are like "oh god, I'm so sorry -
    I'll get a refund to you asap!"
    And you're like, "wow, that's great - people are cool!"

And then 3 months and 10 e-mails later, they stop responding altogether,
    and you know you are out $$$ and no record,
    and say, "wow, that sucks - people are really assholes!"

• Yeah, that's the worst -
    when dudes are like "oh god, I'm so sorry -
    I'll get a refund to you asap!"
    And you're like, "wow, that's great - people are cool!"

And then 3 months and 10 e-mails later, they stop responding altogether,
    and you know you are out $$$ and no record,
    and say, "wow, that sucks - people are really assholes!"

Couldn't agree with you more, I'm prepared to file with paypal so quickly these days in the hope that even if I don't get my cash that it might cause the idiot I'm dealing with some inconvenience...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Does anyone have CC cards or debit cards that offer protection?

Mind does and I was able to file a complaint with them and got my money back.
    Some cards offer things like an extra year warranty on items purchased with the card or even protection on anything lost, stolen or damaged up to a certain amount per year.

Check out ur options.

• Does anyone have CC cards or debit cards that offer protection?

Some cards offer things like an extra year warranty on items purchased with the card or even protection on anything lost, stolen or damaged up to a certain amount per year.

Check out ur options.

Good advice man but a lot of credit card firms do not extend that cover when using a third party like paypal due to fraud etc.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Does anyone have CC cards or debit cards that offer protection?

Check out ur options.

Good advice man but a lot of credit card firms do not extend that cover when using a third party like paypal due to fraud etc.

O'RLY?

In that case... Support real shops or online dealers that have great reps. Ones that will let you pay with ur CC.

Buying online from a good portion of people from shit like PO Boxes,etc could get you nothing but a hassle.
    The lil extra money you might pay could offer you peace of mind in ur dealings.

things rarely get lost in the mail for good. I tend to think if you are not getting your records it's cause the seller isn't sending them. I've had exactly one item get lost for good since 2002

• as a seller you have to offer refunds in certain circumstances...but just as there are shady sellers out there, there are also shady buyers! people who buy records, record them, and then complain about condition. refunding $100 and up records that were sent overseas is no fun, let me tell you! but if you fucked up and said it was a VG+ sleeve when really it was VG then you gotta bite the bullet. even though record grading is highly subjective.

and of course, when you are dealing with serious record collectors you are dealing sometimes with anal retentive freaks who care more about condition than music...and not just condition of the vinyl but the sleeve and label too. and if you are selling tons of records you don't have time to play every record through to listen before listing them. and also, i'm a dj, i have 1200s, collectors often have audiophile set-ups that reveal flaws in the vinyl more than 1200s.

just some things to consider...i try to only refund when i feel maybe i over-graded the record or didn't package it well enough and it gets damaged. but when stuff gets lost in the mail...and it does happen but not that often, then i try to offer another record. or a refund as a last result.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What up with these 'private' ebay accounts? Seems way , and why do they always outbid me on shit?

And for you status sellers.. do you guys offer refunds for the most part? I got a record Im unhappy with and dude won't offer a refund. , in my opinion.

Peace out.

I've sold a few LP's on ebay but have always refused their offer to become a "Power Seller".....that's some phony ass elitist bullshit.....

I will always offer a 100% refund(including postage) if the customer is unhappy with my grading.

I will NOT offer a partial refund because the customer is unhappy with the condition...you either want the LP or you send it back for a 100% refund....none of this negotiating the price after the sale BS.

I will NOT offer a refund if you "don't like the music" or if the package was damaged during shipping and the customer chose not to buy insurance.

My pet peeve as a seller are the guys who are too cheap to pay for insurance and then expect ME to insure it for him if it's damaged during shipping. I have 5,000+ feedbacks and 4 Negatives of which 3 are because of this scenario.

• Rock and crazypop, I totally agree.

Vinyl condition comes first, then jacket, then labels. I could actually care less about the labels.

But when dude says item is "excellent all around" I take that as VG+ vinyl, or higher. Record looks clean but doesn't sound clean, lots of surface noise from a bad needle type shit. And it isn't a raer or from overseas or anything. Dude just won't take it back.

I guess I could have asked more details during auction, but I didn't. Oh well, I've had nothing but good luck on ebay overall, I can't really complain.

• you shouldn't have asked more details...the onus should be on the seller to fully describe the item, and then if he doesn't, the buyer should beware before buying. sometimes you luck out and records are stone mint when described as less so.

i think buyers in general should acknowledge the subjective nature of record grading and the risk involved in buying thru the net and relying on the postal service, and then sellers should be as nit-picky as possible with grading and also be sypathetic to the risk the buyer is taking by shopping for vinyl thru the net.

i like to think of myself as doing this great service to the world by digging all over my are (nyc) and finding records i think other people would like to own. it's pretty cool to think about where the records end up and how much joy they may be bringing to their new owners...and how they originally came from some hole in the wall deep in brooklyn, queens, manhattan, whereever. of course i'm kidding about doing a great service to the world but still...it's nice to think that.

• you shouldn't have asked more details...the onus should be on the seller to fully describe the item, and then if he doesn't, the buyer should beware before buying. sometimes you luck out and records are stone mint when described as less so.

i think buyers in general should acknowledge the subjective nature of record grading and the risk involved in buying thru the net and relying on the postal service, and then sellers should be as nit-picky as possible with grading and also be sypathetic to the risk the buyer is taking by shopping for vinyl thru the net.

i like to think of myself as doing this great service to the world by digging all over my are (nyc) and finding records i think other people would like to own. it's pretty cool to think about where the records end up and how much joy they may be bringing to their new owners...and how they originally came from some hole in the wall deep in brooklyn, queens, manhattan, whereever. of course i'm kidding about doing a great service to the world but still...it's nice to think that.

• What up with these 'private' ebay accounts? Seems way , and why do they always outbid me on shit?

Some reasons for making your feedback private.....1) you have some comment that you don't want people to see 2) you don't want people to be able to see what you bought 3) you don't want people to be able to see which auctions you are bidding on that's not closed yet.

I just made my feedback private for reason no. 3. Maybe I'm just paranoid but if I find some auctions that's slept on then I don't want other people to locate them through me. I think it's rare that it goes on like that but some times it probably does. So when I don't use my account to sell stuff with then I can't see any downside to making it private.

If you use your account as seller then you should probably think twice about making your feedback private.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    3) you don't want people to be able to see which auctions you are bidding on that's not closed yet.

I just made my feedback private for reason no. 3. Maybe I'm just paranoid but if I find some auctions that's slept on then I don't want other people to locate them through me. I think it's rare that it goes on like that but some times it probably does.

making your feedback (private) doesn't disallow other people from searching for items that you are bidding on.
    the only way to accomplish that is to change your location within your ebay personal information to germany/austria, who are protected by privacy laws.

• 3) you don't want people to be able to see which auctions you are bidding on that's not closed yet.

I just made my feedback private for reason no. 3. Maybe I'm just paranoid but if I find some auctions that's slept on then I don't want other people to locate them through me. I think it's rare that it goes on like that but some times it probably does.

making your feedback (private) doesn't disallow other people from searching for items that you are bidding on.

the only way to accomplish that is to change your location within your ebay personal information to germany/austria, who are protected by privacy laws.

I couldn't do it when I tried with a guy who had private feedback so therefor I thought it was like that.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    3) you don't want people to be able to see which auctions you are bidding on that's not closed yet.

I couldn't do it when I tried with a guy who had private feedback but I'm probably just doing it the wrong way.

well, there's definitely some people who both make their feedback "private" and "move" to germany.

• 3) you don't want people to be able to see which auctions you are bidding on that's not closed yet.

I couldn't do it when I tried with a guy who had private feedback but I'm probably just doing it the wrong way.

well, there's definitely some people who both make their feedback "private" and "move" to germany.

damn you're fast...I can see that, so I changed the post.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Rockadelic..... whats your Ebay name?