WICKED PICKETT RIP

SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Just heard the man died of a heart attack today. RIP.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    damn.

• Wow, one of the best. Great to see him performing so much in his last years too.
    "Engine #9" is one of my favorites.

Rest in peace.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Damn, was just listening to the wicked pickett last night.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I got to see him perform live (House of Blues in Chicago, 2000) - it was not a great show, but at least I can say I saw him. The man contributed a lot and I loved his music...not much more I can say...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This one hurts.

RIP to one of the baddest. Too young to go, but he lived
    more in those years than most, I'm sure.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    R.I.P. Mr. Pickett. The OG soul men are disappearing hastily these days .

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    fuckin a, that sucks. Rest in peace man.

Is it me or is everyone dropping off lately?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    fuckin a, that sucks. Rest in peace man.

Is it me or is everyone dropping off lately?

Not to be a pessimist, but we could have said that in any year. Last year, 'bout this time, it was Tyrone Davis and Jimmy Smith. But it is a sobering thought...the man lived a full life and left us with an incredible musical legacy.

• Such sad news. The Wicked Pickett was probably my top favorite soul singers EVER. I'll be bringing out ALL his records next gig and pouring out a lil bit for the international playboy who was born to be wild.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Agent45's top 10 Wilson Pickett singles (and that's even before the album only tracks)

Let Me Be Your Boy (Verve/Correc-Tone/Cub)
    She's Looking Good (Atlantic)
    I Can't Stop (Double L)
    Baby Call on Me (Double L)
    Ninety Nine and A Half (Atlantic)
    Toe Hold (Atlantic)
    Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (Atlantic)
    Minnie Skirt Minnie (Atlantic)
    Mustang Sally (Atlantic)
    I Found A Love (Lupine) - with The Falcons

Mark - you've hit the nail on the head too. I suspece a few of these will have to stay in my play box for a while.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This has really brought me down. It was Wilson Pickett that opened the door to soul music for me.

RIP miz Lena's boy.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    respect...dudes need to stop dyin'...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This has really brought me down. It was Wilson Pickett that opened the door to soul music for me.

RIP miz Lena's boy.

Wow! That's what I was trying to write in the other thread.

Dan

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Early on, I got deep into Wilson Pickett before I'd even heard 15 songs by James Brown. Today's news comes as a shock.

Tonight, turn up "I Found A Love" all the way up. Both versions. If your upstairs neighbor pounds on the floor and tells you that he "doesn't hear jazz," tell him to shut the fuck up. Then, sing along at the top of your voice.

All respect is due to the Wicked Pickett.

• "Engine #9" is one of my favorites.

Rest in peace.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    wow that's sad. surely a great loss.
    R.I.P.!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Man, this news sucks, I had a great day yesterday at a big music festival & then my Mom called me this morning to say that she just read the Wilson Pickett obituary in the New Zealand Herald. Damn, I love his music & just bought a couple of his 45s last week. Wilson Pickett has always been never far from the stereo at both my place & my parent's place. He was still killin' it live in that 'Only The Strong Survive' movie too. RIP.