echo, reverb, etc?

catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
producer types: what do y'all use for reverb, echo, and dub effects? hardware? software?i want to get something that offers a lot of customization and control.

Comments

• I use a Lexicon box for adding reverb here and there but really I try to record stuff dry, that way if you end up hating the effect you can add or change in mixdown.

but i also have a 24x8 board that I'm getting rid of, I will probably end up using plug-ins on my DP. AYO!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    An analog fetishist would shoot me, but I have to say that a lot of those reverb plugins are real good. Even their emulation of old analog equipment like spring reverbs can sound good in plugins. Its just up to you, if it sounds right it is right. Their are no rules.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• "plugins" - for protools?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    there's a pretty cool new lexicon box my buddy just copped.. 24 bit reverbs and delays with usband spdif output.. and the dopest thing is you can have it as a vst in your daw too.. so you can twiddle the onsceen nobs or the real nobs.. save presets etc etc.. and theres no computer processing.. al ldone i nthe hardware.. very nice.. might cop one me self.

currently i use TC works native plugins and the stock ableton live bundle.. .these are the only two reverbs ive ever hear that sounded any good in the plugin realm.

the ableton one is really awesome but a tad processor heavy.. TC one is less "lush" but lighter o nthe computer.

as for delays again im sticking with the stock abletone ones because they're automatically beat matched.. and the filter delay (3 delays with individual filters) is the sickness.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    line6 makes some real nice pieces of hardware for echo/delay

there shiny green one that's hard as nails

ive held off buying line 6..

namely cause digital pedal verb is almost always ass.

and i also heard these pedals are wonky as fuck.. erase presets, randomly scroll thru presets..crappy footswithces etc etc.. read the horror stories on harmony central and proceed with caution

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    does anyone here have one of these things

i love this sound

• there's a pretty cool new lexicon box my buddy just copped.. 24 bit reverbs and delays with usband spdif output.. and the dopest thing is you can have it as a vst in your daw too.. so you can twiddle the onsceen nobs or the real nobs.. save presets etc etc.. and theres no computer processing.. al ldone i nthe hardware.. very nice.. might cop one me self.

This sounds dope.

• mooneymooney 48 Posts
    If you want customization and control, software is the way to go. I am a big fan of the Moogerfooger delay. It's one of those software based fake analog delays, but it sound great for dubbed out delays. These "fanalog" types are good for experimenting with.

The colder looking calculator one's are useful as well, becasue you can just enter the milliseconds based on your bpm, and the delays will fall on beat. Some allow you to tap along to set it etc.

Pro Tools is the deal because you can map out the controls of all your effects
    in the time line. This is the way I work and it makes things real easy for beat making, mixes, etc.

Let me know if you need any details.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    there's a pretty cool new lexicon box my buddy just copped.. 24 bit reverbs and delays with usband spdif output.. and the dopest thing is you can have it as a vst in your daw too.. so you can twiddle the onsceen nobs or the real nobs.. save presets etc etc.. and theres no computer processing.. al ldone i nthe hardware.. very nice.. might cop one me self.

plaese to post linkage.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    does anyone here have one of these things

i love this sound

got a roland space echo.

even better too!

tape based, and more FUN KNOBS!

SOFTWARE wise, I always use the Waves SuperTap plugin for delay. Reverb, I stay shy of. I like Sonic Foundry Aucoustic Mirror, but it is not good for real time previewing. But delay is always better than reverb.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    using both hardware and software, got an echochord super 76 tapedelay, and the best vst reverb that doesnt eat ur entire cpu ive tried is the princeton digital 2016 stereo room.

Pro Tools is the deal because you can map out the controls of all your effects
    in the time line. This is the way I work and it makes things real easy for beat making, mixes, etc.

this feature is not unique to protools.. i think every DAW o nthe planet has timeline automization at this point i nthe game

the lexicon goes for under 250 on da bay:

http://www.lexiconpro.com/mx200/index.asp

• When I used to have my own (humble) studio, I always liked the Lexicon processors the best. They always had a warm and extremely realistic sound. And for the price, I think Lexicon makes some of the most quality stuff on the market.

**The MPX1 goes for about $700 now and each effect can be highly customized.

Now I go to the studio to mix my material and have since fallen in the love with this beauty right here:

The Lexicon 480L -- vintage reverb unit from the '80s -- believe me, this bitch will blow your fucking head back. She's a bit pricey though. Goes for a cool 10 Gs.

Sometimes it's better to pay for it by the hour if you know what I'm sayin'...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    FruityLoops Reverb Plugin does it for me... adjustable on the fly.

Muhahahaha!

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Roland Space Echo, as seen perched atop my clavi:

This thing is fuckin ridiculous. This and a fender fuzz wah are really blowing my mind in 05/06.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

my boy has one of those... they work nice... better than plug ins b/c you can really tweak with them in real time...

if money's not a factor, cop a spring reverb (even cheaper guitar amps have these, for the thunder clap dub reveb sounds (KICK THE AMP!!!!!) and a tape delay (echoplex, space echo, etc)...

i myself use mostly plug ins b/c i am cheap... i set up an reverb chamber in my closet for a while... i put a speaker in there and put a mic at the top of the closet and played back vocals etc and recorded the sound of them echoing in the closet... works ok...

• I want harware but I use various Pro Tools plug ins, right now. I really want a spring reverb. Who doesn't?

• girgir 329 Posts
    I want harware but I use various Pro Tools plug ins, right now. I really want a spring reverb. Who doesn't?

from slinky to spring 'verb

• Im a fan of pedals, just cause they are a little more reliable when touring, doing shows ect.
    I like the the Gibson Echoplex Rack, The Electro Harmonics Memory Man Delux and Moogerfoogers Analog Delay the best out of all the ones I have tried.... but I think HiWatt just released a really good and sturdy looking tape loop delay. Anyways, I would say just go down to GC and try everything.
    Its also good to have midi sync if you can, the only one I listed there is the Gibson, which is great for live shit... but is very pricey.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Anyone here know how an iLok enabled application (Pro Tools M-Powered) would work with iLok enabled plug-ins that were obtained in a not so legitimate manner?

• ilok trasher... but you didn't hear it from me.

• either logic tape delay or one of these (free) dub goodies from switzerland:

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml

• girgir 329 Posts
    either logic tape delay or one of these (free) dub goodies from switzerland:

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yaoming?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I'm much more impressed with the electricity-less water pump.