Jose Mangual BUYU Q

magpiemagpie 160 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
reissue vs. the OG, what should i look for,and for the OG --would much appreciate it

Comments

• Turntablelab unearthed a box of sealed originals they are selling them for $13

• Turntablelab unearthed a box of sealed originals they are selling them for $13

Dusty Groove got a hold of some, too, and is selling them for $9.

Jose Mangual -- Buyu . . . LP . . . $8.99 (Item: 388488)
    Turnstyle, 1977 Condition: New Copy View Cart
    A great underground Latin jazz album from the seventies -- one that features percussionist Jose Mangual leading a host of jazz and Latin players that includes Tito Puente, Patato Valdez, Bobby Rodriguez, Jimmy Knepper, Steve Gadd, and Richard Tee. Some cuts have a nice NuYorican groove, and others are a bit more traditional Latin jazz -- but the album's very strong throughout, and is a perfect example of how well-developed the New York Latin scene was by the mid 70s, with a mix of electric and acoustic styles that's totally great! Cuts include "Mai Kinshasa", a strong Latin jazz track, and the great funky groover "Black & Brown Boogie". Other titles include "Chinatown", "Dreamy", "Bamba A Puerto Rico", and "Sunrise Prince". (Original pressing, with the original inner sleeve -- and good as new![/b])

(From the Latin LP page.)

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Sealed copies were floating around Montreal a couple of years ago. Decent record, but bizarrely common.

• I bought mine years ago at the Latin store that used be in the Times Square subway station. Wish I bought a shitload more LP's at the time. I like the Buyu LP. Urban Species (acid jazz band from back in the day) looped the intro to the first song nicely on a tune called Consequence.