TEXTBOOKSTRUT (NRR)

girgir 329 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
My school's bookstore wants close to $800 for the books i need this semester so i'm trying to find a good place to get them online. other than amazon/half.com are there any super duper amazing places to pick up textbooks on the cheap?thanks in advance

Comments

• do you need to keep them? what about used books?

one semester in school i zeroxed all the textbooks i didnt want to keep. returned them before they would be returned as used. it took a little time but was well worth the effort.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    You can try ecampus.com or campusbooks.com, or just do a Google search on "used textbooks". But a lot of those sites don't keep up on their inventory, and will list stuff that they don't necessarily have. I've had the best luck using half.com, and the used section on Amazon.

And on the other end, when you're done with the books, put them up on Haf or Amazon, only suckers bring their books to the bookstore.

• girgir 329 Posts
    do you need to keep them? what about used books?

one semester in school i zeroxed all the textbooks i didnt want to keep. returned them before they would be returned as used. it took a little time but was well worth the effort.

yeah i'm definitely going the used route and am at the point in my college career where they are all (or mostly books worth keeping)

so far amazon's been the best best, cut the costs more than half.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I forget what comparison place I have used the past few years, but it might be http://www.bestbookdeal.com/

I think a few places like this exist that compare numerous store prices.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    $800? That's nothing. I dropped a grand on my text books. No joke. Law's funny; all my text books are just text books, but they are hardcover and bound in faux-leather and look very grave and weighty. I'd rather they were photocopies and a quarter of the price.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can't you save a lot of those law textbooks for reference later on in your career or am i mistaken?

i just spent the rest of my checking account on text books and tuition and am hoping i don't have any automatic billing shit i forgot about that decides to overdraft on me

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Be careful when ordering off sites where you're buying from individual sellers (like Amazon.com). I tried that a couple of years ago and didn't receive two of my textbooks until 3 weeks into the term. I had to buy the textbooks from my school bookstore and return them when the used ones finally came. Shit was a big hassle.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    My school's bookstore wants close to $800 for the books i need this semester so i'm trying to find a good place to get them online. other than amazon/half.com are there any super duper amazing places to pick up textbooks on the cheap?

thanks in advance

American publishers were up in arms a couple of years ago b/c students were ordering the same textbook @ a lot lower cost from overseas on-line retailers (such as Amazon UK) - I don't know if the price point has been revised to reflect this issue of contention (i.e. more or less equal now), but it's worth a shot in exploring - would be cheaper if you went in on it w/ some classmates to average/balance out the shipping costs...