Memphis questions, recommendations

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Gonna be in Memphis next month for a conference:Gotta do some digging! I've got Yellow Pages technique, but, as time will be a factor, it'd be nice to know which spots are better than others, etc. Not looking for squirrel spots here. I'll be staying downtown at the Peabody.Also, what's up with the Stax museum? They're offering us the Memphis Music Tour. I'm not a big Sun fan, and i understand the Stax studio itself no longer exists. So would i be better off just digging? Or is the Stax Museum a must-see? Thanks in advance for some info, PMs or thread replies welcome. Peace!!

Comments

• memphis is rough for digging.

go talk to that crazy old man at river. occaisonally has some decent records for way too much money.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    This is definitely worth picking up:

from Shangri-La records.

• This is definitely worth picking up:

from Shangri-La records.

Stop by Shangri-La and holla at me or the Hook-Up. We'll send you in the right direction. Definitly go to the Stax museum!

• river records was so good back in the day. before jerry got paranoid you were ripping him off. I always did well at the comic book store next to McDonald's about a block away from there.

So many records were/are in that town. Once I went to Shangri-La and bought some records with contact info in them. After tracking down the collection to see what the store left behind it turned out to be Rufus Thomas' godson. Few nice pieces came out.

The good old days.

• Slightly offtopic, but I can recommend that anyone hire Memphis heavyweights TheHookUp and Shingaling (aka Buck Wilders) for any of their raw funky DJ needs. Their tagteam set this past Saturday at our Soul Weekender in NC was unfuckwithable. Bitches were tearing the arms off mannequins and shit it was so hype.

They also provided two of the best quotes of the weekend:

1. "I got skeletons coming out of my ass"

2. (peep my new location)

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Their tagteam set this past Saturday at our Soul Weekender in NC was unfuckwithable. Bitches were tearing the arms off mannequins and shit it was so hype.

Cosign. But for the record, this was during Midnite Cowbwoy's set.

• Cosign. But for the record, this was during Midnite Cowbwoy's set.

Good point.

Speaking of which, here's 8 seconds of dark video footage of That Crazy Chick On A Ledge In The Club ???
    http://scoot.net/gallery/2006/01/fybo/DRG_FCSC/FYBO.mov
    (followed by some garagerock courtesy of The Spinns who were playing that night on the 3rd floor)

• Stop by Shangri-La and holla at me or the Hook-Up. We'll send you in the right direction. Definitly go to the Stax museum!

word, thanks errybody. i won't be there for ~a month, but they want us to sign up for the tours this week so...

i'll definitely check for you + your store when i'm there. do you guys wear name tags that say the Hook-Up etc? I'll be the guy looking for Leo Sayer records.

• Slightly offtopic, but I can recommend that anyone hire Memphis heavyweights TheHookUp and Shingaling (aka Buck Wilders) for any of their raw funky DJ needs. Their tagteam set this past Saturday at our Soul Weekender in NC was unfuckwithable. Bitches were tearing the arms off mannequins and shit it was so hype.

They also provided two of the best quotes of the weekend:

1. "I got skeletons coming out of my ass"

2. (peep my new location)

Might I add that Soulmarcosa made history this past weekend. I'm sure it was the world's first ThreeSixMafia / Dave Clark Five mix ever!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Their tagteam set this past Saturday at our Soul Weekender in NC was unfuckwithable. Bitches were tearing the arms off mannequins and shit it was so hype.

Cosign. But for the record, this was during Midnite Cowbwoy's set.

Okay.

A mod girl was riding the gay boxer mannequin at Ringside?

NOW I feel like I missed out...

Oh it woulda been nice to meet yawl Memphisians and see Agent45 again too...

• Stop by Shangri-La and holla at me or the Hook-Up. We'll send you in the right direction. Definitly go to the Stax museum!

alright i'm heading down on Wednesday, will be there til Sunday. i'll stop and check out your spot no doubt.

I have one more question- do you guys have any DJ nights this week, or know of anything fun going on, music-related?

thanks + peace.

• you are in luck..we have our big DJ night on Saturday...me, shingaling, and a couple of memphix folks...we wil start showing vintage rnb and soul footage on the big screen at 10 and then at 11 the spinning starts...hell I will leave your handle at the door and you can come in for free! come on out...lots of girlies show up for this night!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    the Peabody.

Is there any other place to stay in Memphis? I went there only once and stayed at the Best Western by the bus station. Not so nice...

But everytime I walked past the Peabody, I was pledged to stay there if I came back.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Stop by Shangri-La and holla at me or the Hook-Up. We'll send you in the right direction. Definitly go to the Stax museum!

alright i'm heading down on Wednesday, will be there til Sunday. i'll stop and check out your spot no doubt.

If you're in Memphis on Sunday and you're not too fried after your Saturday night out, I suggest you get up early, comb your hair, put on some nice threads and take the journey out to Al Green's church. Cabfare might be expensive - it's further out of the centre of town than Gracelands, for example - but if the Reverend is in (and if he's not overseas, he usually is), it'll be an amazing experience and well worth the effort.

• you are in luck..we have our big DJ night on Saturday...me, shingaling, and a couple of memphix folks...we wil start showing vintage rnb and soul footage on the big screen at 10 and then at 11 the spinning starts...hell I will leave your handle at the door and you can come in for free! come on out...lots of girlies show up for this night!

oh SHNAPP!! that looks real hot. Sat nights like the finale to our conference but i will definitely try to come out to this afterwards. Thanks man!!

btw, how's the taxi/cab scene in Memphis? i won't have a car and definitely don't know my way around, so i'm planning on cabbing it a bunch.

• Is there any other place to stay in Memphis? I went there only once and stayed at the Best Western by the bus station. Not so nice...

But everytime I walked past the Peabody, I was pledged to stay there if I came back.

Peabody's supposed to be real nice but its expensive. We're getting a conference rate and its still pretty pricey!

If you're in Memphis on Sunday and you're not too fried after your Saturday night out, I suggest you get up early, comb your hair, put on some nice threads and take the journey out to Al Green's church. Cabfare might be expensive - it's further out of the centre of town than Gracelands, for example - but if the Reverend is in (and if he's not overseas, he usually is), it'll be an amazing experience and well worth the effort.

• cab scene exsists...not the most punctual however...but in the mid-town/downtown area it is ok.

also if you go to service at Al's on sunday..be on time and plan to stay the entire service(its long) because they frown on latecomers and early goers.