A question for Brooklynites

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I thought Flatbush was supposed to be bad?

Comments

• OK. 1, Flatbush is a HUGE neighborhood. There are good and bad parts. 2. Just because a place has a big houses with wrap-around porches doesn't mean it's not a bad neighborhood

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    OK. 1, Flatbush is a HUGE neighborhood. There are good and bad parts. 2. Just because a place has a big houses with wrap-around porches doesn't mean it's not a bad neighborhood

I agree with #2. It's just, from my experience, people don't seem to bother to maintain or renovate houses in extremely shitty neighborhoods. Even if they are big with wrap-around porches.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    flatbush is a diverse area...it is the heart of the carribean population in ny but all walks of life live in that neighborhood. my girl lives in a building right up the street from this house http://donwiss.com/pictures/FlatbushHouses/h0010.htm . i've heard gun shots up the street at night a few times...but overall the neiborhood is great. there are alot of money houses in flatbush...there is also alot of poverty. cortelyou road is going through heavy gentrification...flatbush is changing every year. great vegetarian restaurants in flatbush

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that looks like midwood to me... flatbush is HUGE. if you head southeast of prospect park, it's not exactly the nicest neighborhood, out further it does look like that. i looked at an apt in the basement of one of those places, but the reality that it would take me an hour+ to get to work set in. not to mention, if some peoples wanna come through after the club or whatever, good luck getting them to go all the way out there.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    that looks like midwood to me... flatbush is HUGE. if you head southeast of prospect park, it's not exactly the nicest neighborhood, out further it does look like that. i looked at an apt in the basement of one of those places, but the reality that it would take me an hour+ to get to work set in. not to mention, if some peoples wanna come through after the club or whatever, good luck getting them to go all the way out there.

I was just curious because I've never, in the many mentionings of Flatbush from books to music to movies, ever heard of it described as anything but shitty. So I guess that is my shock.

• Not living in Brooklyn right now but I was actually in
    Ditmas Park a few weeks ago looking at houses and saw
    most of the houses on that site. That neighborhood
    is really Ditmas Park, not Flatbush. It's a misnomer
    I guess. Flatbush as a neighborhood name seems to be getting
    outdated as realtors use other older names to break up
    and remarket older neighborhoods.

Hope that helps Grafwritah.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

see, midwood is south of faltbush... it really looks like a suburb. garages, and alleys to boot.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    flatbush definately isn't midwood...just travel down church ave. go over flatbush ave and when you hit e 16th st you will see all the mansions that are listed. they are right next to the 6 story low rent housing apartments and couldn't be more out of place.