"Laffy Taffy", NY Times and Song/Album Logic

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "Laffy Taffy" ...last week it officially became the most popular song in America.

That speaks volumes about this country.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I REALLY NEED TO BE INFECTED BY THIS VIRUS WHICH IS THE TRAP SQUAD "WHAT'S HAPPENIN" SONG. IT'S CALLING ME. I LIKE SNAP MUSIC (I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC, I MEAN IT). IF ANYBODY CAN HIT A REAL SCHITTER WITH A YOUSENDIT LINK I'D BE ECSTATIC.

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1LNKS47P6NCIF37X8D5ASQNB1K

i don't see it having the commercial success of "laffy taffy" but it's kinda nice.

wait... do phill most caps designate sarcasm even when he says "I AM NOT BEING SARCASTIC"? if so ignore this link.

Nah, no sarcasm. I have retired from the caps now too, after hearing the Ghost / Rae / Biggie song in the other thread. The real schitt has officially been vanquished. Thanks for the link.

YES!!! sorry i didnt see the link.

whats this about the real schitt being vanquished? DAMN!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Well, that beat sounds like it was made by a 5 year old, but either way, lately I've been wondering if I don't like this stuff because its too damn slow. So I sped it up! And guess what? The beat sounds kinda cool now! I can't really judge the vocals because they sound like chipmunks when its sped up, so would they still be complete ass or would it work? Not sure....

But here it is, sped up:

http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03RGCZCWUOHTA1YJALXXJ73O86

TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    "Laffy Taffy" ...last week it officially became the most popular song in America.

oh come on! no it doesnt! like last month in the UK the number one song was the dancing frog sound set to axel F!

In the 70's for a minute it was disco duck. This shit happens all the time! People love this kind of shit!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Let's not turn this into a 5 pager.

America has a history of supporting a lot of fucking cheesy songs and none of that spelled doom for our fair nation.

• "Laffy Taffy" ...last week it officially became the most popular song in America.

America has a history of supporting a lot of fucking cheesy songs and none of that spelled doom for our fair nation.

I don't know, man. Right Said Fred came mighty damn close.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You're right - I just had to put my HATT on right thurrrr.

(can we get a "hatter" graemlin, plaese?)

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    All I know is that nobody up here knows how to dance to that song.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i guess that makes sense for people scared of technology or older and think itunes is the only option. actually it makes a lot of sense. i really wish downloading was an option back when i was in highschool instead of limiting myself to two genres every two years. but paying dues by only listening to your albums that u could afford has to count for something...appreciation. i mean when i think of it, i've listened to more various[/b] music in the last two years than my prior 24 years ...but that dont mean i enjoyed it more.

i remember sinbad(comedian, not "looks like") doing a routine where he went "weren't walkmen the shit? you had to listen to the whole godamn song, and before they didnt even have a fast forward button...now they're skipping tracks" and that was his commentary on the advent of CDs. shit, sometimes i find myself not listening to a song if it doesnt grab me on the first 20 seconds...i've done shit like "ok, im gonnna preview this album", i load up the tracks on winamp and click in various intervals expecting i dont know what...and all of a sudden i've developed an opinion that "the album is weak/boring, samo bullshit". its a blessing and curse this shit...i mean all of us being fans of music...its kind of like telling a druggie he can smoke week, do lines, hit pipes, snort some shit or drop a tab, all for free and any at any time he wants. i find it cheapening my appreciation. its funny, that discipline in my listening habits in light of accesibility has been one of the hardest factions of discipline i've had to face. i find writing down 3 albums a week to explore works. sorry for the rambling.

My friend had a theory about this. He figured white people need a bunch of beats per measure because they can't dance/have no rhythm, which is why they like techno so much. Since basically you can just go out on a dancefloor and have a mild seizure and you're going to hit a beat somehere. I guess this is kinda racist, but he may have a point.

BTW this is not meant to cut on anyone specific, just a general anecdote.

I for one like this kind of stuff, it kinda sounds like old school bay area stuff to me.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Nah, I just think that song is too slow, and I know how to double-time.

It's all in the shoulders and neck.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I'll test this out on Saturday.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

It's all in the shoulders and neck.

You are talking about that Snap Music dance, the one they do I guess in the Dem Franchise Boyz and D4L video and probably bout fitty leven other similar videos? O-dub, I would pay MONEY to see you do this dance. I am surrious.

Phill,

I don't know how to do the snap dance...but in general, given the tempo and type of beat, it's not a dance that you're going to be doing the Kid N' Play to (which I can do...but alas, no video, ha!). With this kind of track, it just feels like you should hunch your shoulders in, get the neck snapping, some fists shaking. In the club though, I just imagine dudes jumping, shaking their fist in the air or twirling a t-shirt.

But if folks have seen how the snap dance is done, shit is pretty cool. I know there was a D4L demonstration on the MTV My Block episode.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    With this kind of track, it just feels like you should hunch your shoulders in, get the neck snapping, some fists shaking. In the club though, I just imagine dudes jumping, shaking their fist in the air or twirling a t-shirt.

I would pay money to see this, too.

whatever happened to the slow jam? club goers just don't seem to tolerate it anymore. I hope that'll come back in style.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"Jermaine Dupri Presents ... Young, Fly & Flashy Vol. 1" (Virgin),
    If I was the guy that people whispered about being a pedophile, thats about the last thing I would name an album!!!!!!

What are you talking about?

I've never heard anybody say that about him.

Are you sure you're not thinking of ATL bass producer Diamond, who's currently locked up for it?

I'm just fascinated by the author's use of the term "goofy dance smash hits."

Someone mentioned "Laffy Taffy" being simple music and translating well to headphones or shitty computer speakers and I think there's definitely some truth to that.

But the other day I was thinking about a lot pop-rap, and the current trend is definitely leaning towards very stripped down songs, drum wise and instrumentally. It got me thinking if perhaps it has something to do with today's youth (as a whole), being less and less educated musically than we were as children -- maybe partly due to budget cuts in public schools regarding music and the arts. I'm just thinking outloud so feel free to lend your thoughts. But with that in mind, you can see why simpler music would be much more accessible to this generation. If they can wrap their heads around what's happening musically, it's got a much better chance of catching on. It seems like that's definitely being exploited in today's pop market, across the board.

When you think about it, it's largely music being made by people who generally don't know music. Surely, that must have some sort of effect on the current state of commercial rap music.

And it's not that people in the early '90s were so much more educated, but we were sampling jazz, soul and funk so it still had that musicality embedded in it to where it wasn't just an 808 kit on top of a two-key melody.

Things done changes, that's all I know.

Uggh... plaese, no.

• All I know is that nobody up here knows how to dance to that song.

ha, if only you people could see me while i'm driving

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    SO has this chipmunk song done any severe damage? Shit just made me

It's funny though....

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

This dude can't either

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

official laffy taffy dance matte

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

offical laffy taffy dance fuel

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

"Girl, shake that Laffy Taffy"

edit reason: SIZE

If I was the guy that people whispered about being a pedophile, thats about the last thing I would name an album!!!!!!

Are you sure you're not thinking of ATL bass producer Diamond, who's currently locked up for it?

Isn't Jermaine Dupri the dude who keeps putting out kids like Criss Cross and shit? I could be wrong. Anyways, it was barely a rumor, more like whisperings of "whats with this dude and kids...??" kinda thing.

Isn't Jermaine Dupri the dude who keeps putting out kids like Criss Cross and shit? I could be wrong. Anyways, it was barely a rumor, more like whisperings of "whats with this dude and kids...??" kinda thing.

I think what's with him and kids is that he's found producing pre-teen rap artists to be a path to many millions of dollars.

I think what's with him and kids is that he's found producing pre-teen rap artists to be a path to many millions of dollars.

Well its definitely worked, and I don't want to be the guy walking around saying that he's a pedophile when I have absolutely no evidence to back that up. But when you keep hanging out with kids, talk like that is bound to start. But I digress... I have no problem with Jermaine Dupri.

• may I add, that "Whats Happening" song is dope(doper than Laffy Taffy) and should blow up soon. what do yall think?