best time to send money to uk? currency exchange

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
The currency exchange rate is in constant flux. I am curious if has anyone figured out a good time of the day (or day of the week) to make a payment to the UK where the US dollar would be worth slightly more than usual. I understand that there is no way of knowing for sure, but there has to be patterns in the exchange rate, no? Having this info would be great in sending money through Paypal. Another question... has anyone ever waited for an exchange rate to change before sending a payment?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    what, you would wait for the precise moment to save $0.30? jesus, ya cheap bastard. just send the money.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    if anyone actually knew this, they wouldn't be wasting their time posting here, they'd be off making a fortune on the currency exchange market...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    what, you would wait for the precise moment to save $0.30? jesus, ya cheap bastard. just send the money.

I see your point, but not when Im about to drop 250gbp on some wax.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    if anyone actually knew this, they wouldn't be wasting their time posting here, they'd be off making a fortune on the currency exchange market...

I understand that 'knowing' is impossible. But, it is not too far fetched to think that at certain times of the day, the US dollar is worth a little bit more that ususal. get it?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    is this the 'recommend me some good times to send money'-thread?

I'd say, try 10.13 AM EST, works for me.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

I understand that 'knowing' is impossible. But, it is not too far fetched to think that at certain times of the day, the US dollar is worth a little bit more that ususal. get it?

except you can't control when your credit card company or bank makes the actual exchange, or when the merchant actually processes your order... i order hundreds of dollars worth of records from the UK on a fairly regular basis and as far as i can tell, stuff like this out of your control... and Delay is right, say the rate varies like 5 cents, even on 250 pounds, the difference is like 10 dollars...