2»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Think you don't need Jamiroquai?

• ouweeouwee 50 Posts
    the soul investigators "home cooking", tasty private pressed funk LP

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    These come highly recommended:

that shit is nice. someone posted it in the real headz thread. i was surprised to learn that it's a (fairly) recent recording.
    Damn, I want to hear this. I thought it was an older release, the cover is straight out of the 70's.

So, who put this out (i.e. website)?

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

Quantic Soul Orchestra - both their LPs are fire

also

or did you mean that one?
    is there any differnece between quantic and quantic soul orchestra anyways?

• Quantic Soul Orchestra - both their LPs are fire

also

or did you mean that one?
    is there any differnece between quantic and quantic soul orchestra anyways?

quantic is more sample-based,
    qso is live.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    These come highly recommended:

that shit is nice. someone posted it in the real headz thread. i was surprised to learn that it's a (fairly) recent recording.
    Damn, I want to hear this. I thought it was an older release, the cover is straight out of the 70's.

So, who put this out (i.e. website)?

Lifesaver Records outta HELSINKI. Out of print unless I decide otherwise.

• I was gonna say! Very recommended.
    Thanks for putting me up on it! How are things?

- J

• HamHam 872 Posts

the title track is crazy

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i liked the malcom catto - popcornwhatsamacallit and hell id even put Tomy Guerrero's A lil somthing on this list.

that's abotu the only "new funk" i can mess with

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Out of print unless I decide otherwise.

Plaese to decide otherwise. I missed the album when it came out and haven't been able to get a hold of it later.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think now EVERY funk record from the past 10 years has officially been recommended

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think now EVERY funk record from the past 10 years has officially been recommended

In other words it's a typical Soulstrut best of list that turns into instant wikipedia.

• This one really surprised me.

• This has some amazing tracks too:

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts

This is what I thought about the recommendations above. Not that those records are not good, but they are ALL pretty much obvious candidates. Do we have to go to the "recommend me some less than 10 year old 45s" question to see some surprises? Has really every Funk album in the last 10 years found an international audience. No hidden treasures?

I know that Osaka Monaurail from Japan was pretty much unknow for many years. I was one of very few people in Europe (and as far as I know the only one in the States after my move to Los Angeles) who distributed their records. A few months ago (and with several years delay) Dusty Groove also took notice.
    For those who don't know them: They did not go down the "rough and dirty" sound of Desco or Timmion but actually sound well recorded JB production from the early 70s. But they are no We-play-cover-songs combo. Check'em if you haven't yet.

2000:

2001:

2005:

2005:

• fucking love this album

just heard this for the first time recently and was well into it. looking forward to new stuff.

this is fucking amazing:
    http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/asp/product.asp?recorprod=1&product=287&cat=45&ph=&keywords=&recor=1&SearchFor=&PT_ID=1

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    Do you know if the Nicole Willis album will get a vinyl release???? seems there's only a cd version so far...