Options

Whatever day in the week it is finds

edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Rode my bike 112 km yesterday and was justly rewarded.

This is the super clean Count Shelley labeled British version of this LP. If y'all don't know "What Does It Take", please do.

What Does It Take - Alton Ellis

Dude HAD it his whole career. From early ska (Derrick and Naomi) to "Stop That Train" to this lp to "The Loser" to "Tonight" to that boogie shit I put Dimitri From PAris onto. Ultra soulful pure class act.

His best material IMO.

Niney produced Tubby mixed bomb. Includes a vocal over the ska "Zorro" track that's been reissued. Will be dropped at the next Toronto Turning Point fo' sure.

Incredible LP with a wicked break on some Billy Garner "I Got Some" level.

Jamaica Gets Breaky

Anybody on my list knows I bow to this label. Set up by Jerry Brown (of the Jamaicans who recorded the still-boomed rhythm "Ba Ba Boom time" for Treasure Isle) in a Toronto suburb with some help from musical brethren Jackie Mittoo, Willie Williams, Leroy Sibbles, Johnny Osbourne, Joe Isaacs, and a then little know electronics wiz, (pre-Prince/King) JAmmy while he was attending George Brown College (why they don't have his picture up there, I'll never know - I gotta fix that). Anyway, enough babbling - the above 45 is a rendition of Armigideon Time except it's tempo is increased and is significantly enhanced by Summer's signature dub techniques....there's also some cool signing courtesy of Noel Ellis (Alton's son, whom also recorded an LP for Summer that is )

Aggrovators on the cut, Tubby on the board.

LEroy is THAT dude. Bob who? Above album is in a showcase stylee..which means the dubs follow the vocals.

Studio 1 silkscreened cover (which happens to be made of a 70's Jamaican Ajax box). Usually, Studio 1 dub albums are pretty dry (besides the rhythms being timeless, of course), but this and the Zodiac Dub LP are tricked out with the vocals floating in and out of the mix in a way not heard on many other albums. Includes essential dub mixes of the Eternals/Cornell Campbell's "Queen of the Minstrel" and Alton Ellis' "Mad MAd MAd", one of toughest rhythms ever to vibrate.

K in Canada.

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Jesus. Now that's how the fuck to do a "look what I found." Got damn.

-e

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

how do you carry your haul back?! do you have one of those baskets on your bike?

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    i found a derrick harriott lp yesterday too. mid 70s greatest hits on trojan...

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts

Would love to hear this K if you have time to post it, thanks.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

Would love to hear this K if you have time to post it, thanks.

COPPING OF THIS RECORD PROHIBITED

• Options
    My FTp giving me trouble right now. I wanted to put up a Derrick Harriott tunes, too. Check back - I'll get it done.

K.

P.S. It's a double which I'll likely put on my list.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Today, real world, mad cheap:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Damn, didn't Bam, Crink and now Rey find that 'Art Ensemble" within a week's time?

Folks giving that away or something?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Willie West - Fair Child (Josie) Finally.
    Jesse Hill - Mardi Gras (Pulsar) Excellent funky two-sider
    Velvelettes - He Was Really Sayin' Something (VIP)
    Allen Orange - Miss Nosey (Minit) Old school NOLA

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    reynaldo, whats up with that Dom Romao? never seen that one before

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    reynaldo, whats up with that Dom Romao? never seen that one before

That's Hotmosphere on Pablo, 1976--standard up-tempo bossa/samba stuff...very enjoyable.

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts

Uruguay Disco 12" from percussionist Jorge Graf w/ an afro feel

12" EP from Hugh Masekela on Casablanca with 'Mama' & 'A Person is a Sometime Thing'

Also recently re-released by Basic Channel, and absolute quality

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

haha.. if you read the back Wes explains the story of when i called him about this record and he had to give me an answer about the title... fun times.

finds:

Troy Johnson - I Want You (Soul Beat) : just sold one of these for +$600, really great uptempo soul and a nice ballad on the flip.

Cubans - Tell Me / Youve Been Gone So Long (Flash) : great doo wop from LA.

Hi C's - By the Front Door / Just How It Is (345) : super rare doo wop piece outta NY. aka the Hollywood Saxons. edge warped destroyed the chances of this being a $500 record. oh well...

3 for a .25 so i cant be mad at that!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    mine:

Chuck Brown - We Need Money 12"

James Brown - Can I get Some Help 12" boot

Open Sky Unit lp reissue

Fat Larry's Band - Act Like You Know 12" OG

DJ Cam - Love Junkie J-Dilla rmx 12"

Wanda Robinson - Black Ivory LP

New York City - Im Doing Fine Now LP

Kanye - Diamonds 12"

Quasimoto - Further Adventures of...LP (not sure what to think of this yet, but I do love the track "Closer")

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Some new arrivals...

and it comes with the inside lyrics+poster!

and finally this one:

and I don't understand why anyone sweats this album? Do you have to be French?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Last two days' lunch breaks have been quite rewarding:

yesterday, all from one spot, total $20:

James Brown - Live at the Garden - King
    Cornell Dupree - Teasin' - Atlantic
    The Dells - Like It Is - Cadet
    O.V. Wright - Nucleus of Soul - Backbeat [/b]...my jaw dropped when I found an OG 1st press of this raer soul gem in a pile of junked recordless covers next to the register...it was trashed, no doubt, but dude just gave it to me because of that, and it plays through without jumps/skips, just lotsa noize...

and last but not least, deserves a jpeg:

Dennis Coffey - Finger Lickin Good - Westbound[/b]

then today, also all from one (other) spot:

Persuaders - S/T - Atco [/b](with the dope fists-in-yo-face cover)
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss - Atlantic [/b](1st press $3!)
    Don Nix - Gone Too Long - Cream
    Francoise Hardy - Je Vous Aime - 4 Corners
    The Hardy Boys - Wheels - Rca/Dunwich [/b](looked promising, a record by a fake band from a late 60s TV show on the generally garage-y Dunwich label, I expected studio musicians playing lite psych groove rock, instead I got )

and last but not least today, wanted this one since circa 1985:

mono copy, scratchy as f*ck, but it was cheap, and you know 1966 OG mono pressings of loud rock records can be played even when chopped to hell!!

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    Somehow these made there way all the way from Nigeria to Berkeley sometime in the last 25 years and wound up in my hands for $2-3 a piece. They're in good playable condition too! Both are late 70's afro-funk-disco. It actually kind of makes me sick to think that the buyers at the record store I got them at must have paid the person that brought them in no more than 50 cents or a dollar. Also scary what they must pass on on a regular basis if they don't value these titles at all. Not that I was familiar with them before yesterday but it's not rocket science to see the value in a Nigerian-pressed record from the 70's with a dope cover and a song called "I Feel Funky".

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    1966 OG mono pressings of loud rock records can be played even when chopped to hell!!

That's my whole crate when I play out!

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

• Options
    There's a couple other worthy William Onyeabor LP's (also, on the Afro- disco tip), too.

K.

• Options

Dude HAD it his whole career. From early ska (Derrick and Naomi) to "Stop That Train" to this lp to "The Loser" to "Tonight" to that boogie shit I put Dimitri From PAris onto. Ultra soulful pure class act.

You Really GOt a Hold on Me - Derick Harriott
    K in Canada.

• Some stuff this week:

Marlena Shaw "Spice Of Life" LP (later pressing with the fur coat cover)
    Sun Ra "Pictures Of Infinity" LP
    Martin Circus "Disco Circus" 12"
    Amerie "1 Thing" 12"
    Ice Cube "Amerikkka's Most Wanted" 12"
    Ice Cube "It Was A Good Day" 12"
    Wu Tang Clan "Protect Ya Neck" 12"
    Extrol "E.S.P." 12"
    Lady Of Rage "Afro Puffs" 12"

+ a bunch of Soletech/Dance Mania/Ghettotech 12s I'm sorting through

+ a bunch of Detroit techno joints I'm trying to unload for trades

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

and last but not least today, wanted this one since circa 1985:

mono copy, scratchy as f*ck, but it was cheap, and you know 1966 OG mono pressings of loud rock records can be played even when chopped to hell!!

Yeah, that's a tough nut to crack....I finally got a VG+ autographed copy late last year after being on the lookout since at least '88 or so. Just always in demand and reportedly NEVER to be officially reissued. Some kinda legal rigamarole between the band and the owners of the masters, blah blah blah. And it's maybe the archetypal American garage LP. Fucking great sounds on here. I would imagine a little extraneous crackle and pop won't prevent you from enjoying this LP at all!

• Options

Anybody on my list knows I bow to this label. Set up by Jerry Brown (of the Jamaicans who recorded the still-boomed rhythm "Ba Ba Boom time" for Treasure Isle) in a Toronto suburb with some help from musical brethren Jackie Mittoo, Willie Williams, Leroy Sibbles, Johnny Osbourne, Joe Isaacs, and a then little know electronics wiz, (pre-Prince/King) JAmmy while he was attending George Brown College (why they don't have his picture up there, I'll never know - I gotta fix that). Anyway, enough babbling - the above 45 is a rendition of Armigideon Time except it's tempo is increased and is significantly enhanced by Summer's signature dub techniques....there's also some cool signing courtesy of Noel Ellis (Alton's son, whom also recorded an LP for Summer that is )

Rocking Universally

• Options

how do you carry your haul back?! do you have one of those baskets on your bike?

I had about 100 records in these 2 backs. SOmetimes I have a third.

K.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

I think timmydigalot is looking for dubs of the liebman.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I have that Leroy Sibbles album. I wish I had the others.

Anyway in the interest of "dropping the music snob mentality," I got a lot of stuff this weekend, much of it hiphop, 80s or 80s-influenced.

No. No cheap soul records in NC.

-----------------------------------------
    CD ALLEY
    Barry Adamson: Moss Side Story CD Mute UK
    This ex-Magazine/Birthday Party guy can be corny but I still dig his faux noir soundtrack forays. This one's instrumental & partially sample-based, but unlike his other vocal records which also serve as pop music, this one's really just background material.

Duran Duran: DMM Mega Mixes 12??? (pic sleeve) EMI Germany
    Duran Duran: Rio (parts 1 & 2) / My Own Way 12??? (pic sleeve) EMI UK
    Though I liked DD ok, overexposure at the time of their heyday kept me from ever getting 100% into them but I had friends who were nuts about them. I find myself enjoying their early material now, as tracks like "Planet Earth" and "Girls On Film" serve as (unintentional?) signposts for a lot of current 80s revivalists who probably don't realize they sound as much like DD as they actually do.

Edan: Beauty and the Beat LP Lewis
    Lo-fi psych & beat samples + decent MCs = interesting backpack rap, though
    the rapping doesn't always mesh with the music. I award an "A" for concept but a "C" for execution.

Out Hud: One Life To Leave / Put It Away Dad 12??? Kranky
    Contempo ESG/TomTomClub style 80s postpunk funk with female vocals and dubby remix from this !!! offshoot. I just ordered their double album yesterday on the basis of this very good single. Recommended.

Various: Electroclash NYC CD Mogul Electro
    I'm a bit late to this 2001 hipster trend but I do like about half of this collection, mostly the groups that take a more minimalist, electro and/or campy approach. The Depeche Mode soundalikes don't do much for me though - they sound like groups who haven't listened to anything but synthpop & goth since 1983.

NICE PRICE CARRBORO
    Ian Dury: Lord Upminster LP Stiff
    The Blockhead teams with Sly & Robbie for a 1981 punk-funk effort that is very similar to Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love" (released the same year) on several tracks, and sometimes just as good. Dury's vocals aren't really my cup of tea, though they do have his usual quirky appeal. A decent clubworthy record and "Spasticus Autisticus" was comped on DISCO NOT DISCO.

Heaven-17: The Luxury Gap LP Arista
    I liked their first 1982 album of UK whiteboy early 80s funk/disco but this 1983 release veers a little too much to the synthpop side of things for me.

Lords of the Underground: Check It (remix) 12??? (promo) Pendulum
    Heavy early 90s hiphop with dope samples. Good one.

Juan Torres: Discotheque 2 LP Musart
    Interesting 1978 Mexican instrumental covers of disco tunes like "I Feel Love." The version of "Brick House" comes off like a weird sloppy funk 45. I wish there were Spanish vocals though!

Ultravox: Ha! Ha! Ha! LP Island UK
    This late-70s release is almost a pure punk effort, with only a smattering of synths. Pretty good for the genre.

NICE PRICE DURHAM
    Haircut 100: Pelican West LP Arista
    Most of this 1982 album is *extremely* lightweight funk-influenced britpop. BUT a few furious cuts like "Favourite Shirts" totally belong in the same lauded horn-driven post-punk funk bag as The Offs, Konk & Pigbag, and it's kinda too bad that their rep (and the majority of their other, not-as-good, tunes) keeps them from getting those kind of props.

Three 6 Mafia: Selections from Choices The Album 12??? (promo) Loud
    3 cuts (w/ instros) of their usual over the top southern crunk style.

UK Subs: Brand New Age LP (clear vinyl) Gem UK
    I have to say that this 1979 release is one of the prime examples of why some people never liked punk. Tuneless, monotonous, overbearing and dull are the first adjectives that came to mind when I listened to this one all the way through. I did see them on their comeback tour around 1988 though!

Various: Dancehall to the Core Vol. 3 sampler 12??? (promo) TP
    Six slices of very decent 2001 dancehall including a good cut from one "Sean Parma" who is better known now as Sean Paul.

CATCHDUBS
    Nick Catchdubs: Oh Snap CD Catchdubs
    Whoa - Nick really kills it on this mashedup mixup of a mixtape, smashing current hiphop, dancehall, reggaeton, electro and house flavors into a session that could easily carry a party dancefloor for its entire running length. Almost none of the vocals seem to be backed by their original instrumentals but it all works perfectly. Recommended.

OOH LA LATTE
    Aurra: Are You Single / Living Too Fast 12??? Salsoul
    Typical early 80s Salsoul r'n'b

B.G.: Chopper City in the Ghetto sampler (promo) Cash Money
    Surprisingly good early Cash Money release. I probably would have hated it at the time though.

Blac Monks: No Mercy - Hot Club Wax 12??? (promo) Rap-A-Lot
    Transitional release from 1998 tries to bridge the sampling days of the 90s to the future synth-based crunk sound but isn't really up to the task. Meh.

Cameo: Word Up! LP (promo) Polydor
    For "those" types of parties.

Direct Flight: Spectrum LP Direct Disk
    Haven't listened. Probably lame.

DJ Kool: 20 Minute Workout / What The Hell Ya Came Here For 12??? Blazin???
    Straight-up 90s gogo

Grim Reaper: Fear No Evil LP RCA
    Not really feeling this 1985 metal release.

The Ill Beingz: Milkshake / North Carolina 12??? Foundation (2 copies)
    Anybody need 2 copies of this recent NC hiphop twelve? I already have two at home.

Jazze Pha: We Still / Playboy 12??? (promo) Atlantic
    2001 R'n'B tinged southern rap from the now-huge producer.

Jefferson Airplane: Bark LP Grunt
    Wow - this record has some pretty good west coast stoner rock (no metal) stuff. I bought it mostly to hear "Lawman" which I knew from Royal Trux' cover, and wasn't disappointed.

Kam: Still Got Love 4 Um 12??? (promo) EastWest
    Conscious rapper delivers so-so early 90s g-funk.

Lil Wayne: Everything 12??? (promo) Cash Money
    Surprisingly emotional ode from Wayne to his deceased stepfather. Not bad.

Memphis Bleek: Do My... / Get High 12??? (promo) Roc-A-Fella (2 copies)
    This 2001 release could easily get play at some sort of electroclash event - the beat is more like experimental 80s electronics than 2000-era hiphop. Interesting.

Eddie Murphy: Party All The Time / Inst. 12??? (pic sleeve) Columbia
    For "those" types of parties.

Redds & The Boys: Movin??? & Groovin??? 12??? (pic sleeve) 4th & B???Way
    Kinda overproduced 80s gogo

Remy Martin: Unstoppable 12??? (promo) Capitol (2 copies)
    Haven't listened because it walked around my metal detectors.

Scarface: Love & Friendship / Mr. Scarface 12??? (promo) Rap-A-Lot (5 copies)
    I got 5 copies of this one so I have 3 to sell/trade. If you like Mr. Scarface, you'll like it.

U-Men: Step on a Bug LP Fallout
    Pre-Halo of Flies bizness from WA

UGK: Let Me See It 12??? (promo) Jive
    Typical stripclub type southern crunk anthem. "This ain't hiphop - this is southern rap."

Various: America Is Dying Slowly 2LP Eastwest
    Great comp of early 90s heavyweights like Wu, Prince Paul, Biz, etc. is marred by the fact that my copy is scratched to hail.

Justin Warfield w/ S.O.U. N.D.: Steppin??? With The Sound 12??? (promo) Qwest
    Decent 1991 jazz-tinged hiphop from this Marco favorite with no less than 4 different mixes.

The Whispers: And the Beat Goes On / Can You Do The Boogie 12??? (promo) Solar
    Heavyweight Crate.

CD ALLEY
    The Juan Maclean / The Rapture: Give Me Every Little Thing / Killing 12??? DFA
    A-side is boring electronic stuff, b-side is good dancepunk

LCD Soundsystem: s/t LP DFA / EMI
    Yes, the too-sarcastic-for-words lyrics are annoying ("Daft Punk is Playing at my House") and the vocal delivery is obviously cribbed from Mark E. Smith, but there's some really good disco/postpunk grooves here. I probably need to listen to more PiL in order to fully appreciate (or hate).

Radio 4: Electrify 12??? (pic sleeve) Astralwerks
    Great discopunk bizness w/ 3 different mixes

Radio 4: Stealing of a Nation 2LP Astralwerks
    This is (yet) more good discopunk stuff but veers away from the underground/minimal m.o. and much closer to the UK britpop side, which may be their intent. It could easily be Blur. Or someone less appealing.

The Rapture: Echoes LP DFA
    YET MORE discopunk, this time taking several cues from Gang Of Four. Pretty solid all the way around, though I'm not enamored of the more spastic/less groove-oriented cuts, which is what entirely comprised their live set when I saw them around 2000 or so.

Tussle: s/t LP (clear vinyl) Troubleman
    Extremely minimal drum/bass-heavy contempo postpunk funk in Liquid Liquid/ESG vein, but the lack of vocals makes it a bit monotonous.

NICE PRICE RALEIGH
    Einst??rzende Neubauten: Halber Mensch LP Some Bizarre UK
    I never had this record so I figured it was about time to check it out.

Killing Joke: My Love Of This Land 12??? (pic sleeve) EG UK
    Great dub version of "Follow the Leaders" and another good tune eclipse the kinda lame 1988 title track.

Jimmy Pursey: Alien Orphan LP Epic UK
    Wow - I had no idea that the Sham 69 frontman veered into futuristic art-pop in 1982. When things are kept minimal, it really works, but some (unintentional?) progrock tendencies pop up when the musicians fail to rein in their virtuositic tendencies.

Soft Cell: This Last Night In Sodom LP (promo) Sire
    Really interesting decadent, chaotic swansong effort from the "Tainted Love" guys. I played this constantly for a year or two during high school then binned it, so I've been looking for a cheap copy for about a year or two to revisit. Still holds up. Well at least as much as The Cure.

Ultravox: Three Into One LP Antilles
    Greatest hits from their first 3 albums is decent but is most interesting on the tracks where keyboards are more prominently added to their initial punk makeup.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    all from yesterday

the one with the yellow is a private press church LP from chicago with one really interesting funky track done by some dude named Tom Belt.

Jesus loves you Tom

• 12" EP from Hugh Masekela on Casablanca with 'Mama' & 'A Person is a Sometime Thing'

How is this? Are any of the versions different than on the LP?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

the one with the yellow is a private press church LP from chicago with one really interesting funky track done by some dude named Tom Belt.

Jesus loves you Tom

pretty solid break too.

Two records I've been after for a minute. Both on the uber-cheap.

The Dizzy record seems to be pretty hard to find.